PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a difficult time getting their CD's dry?

em_jon98
05-08-2003, 08:18 PM
I've been washing every day because we only have about that many diapers (still trying to decide what we like and want to order more of). I have to run my diapers through two full cycles on high heat, at the "Very Dry" setting and they are mostly still not dry. The only ones that seem to be dry after the two cycles are the infant prefolds.

Any suggestions, or is it just my dryer?

mama2be
05-08-2003, 08:25 PM
This is most definitley my biggest problem with CDing and it is a major pain in the butt to not get my stuff dry. We have the Catalyst Washer and Dryer which is supposed to be so great and I am starting to hate it!!! I can never get mine dry enough...and the machine actually cuts off when you add other cycles when it thinks the clothes are dry...well they aren't so you pres it again and it stays on a few minutes and turns off...I do this a million times...

I called Crickett and she said that I should put them outside if possible to dry them towards the end...that is not possible here I'd get kicked out of the neighborhood but did pu them on the car hood one day...

MartiesMom2B
05-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Neve:

Do you think other homeowners would notice if you draped the diapers over patio chairs? I'm just trying to think of alternatives for you.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm

mama2be
05-08-2003, 09:03 PM
I don't know ...you've been here so I'm sure you can understand I am in plain site of everyone!!! I do want to get a photo shoot of a clothes line with hanging CDs on it in our back yard nad the "signiture hole" of the course in the back ground and hang it in our house :):):)...I think that would be a cute picture!!!

Which reminds me of one of the funniest things (though was not funny at the time). As you know I live on the 13th Fairway of a golf course and the golf cart path comes right there thru my yard (on the outside of it but close enough-too close)...well Friday is trash day. On one gorgeous Friday I look out my window and my puppy (at the time) was playing with a HUGE economy size box of Tampons right there in the back yard on the busiest day of the week with the most beautiful of weather (in other words everyone was golfing)...and of course it was the obvious TAMPAX brand that is the universal "look" of the typical tampon box!!!! :)...I almost died...who knows how long he had paraded that box infront of the men of the neighborhood...

Karenn
05-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Yes! I've noticed some dry more quickly than others, and those diapers are quickly becoming my favorites. Kissaluvs Fitteds take FOREVER in my dryer (at least 2 cycles), and Crickett's aren't much better. Kissaluvs contours, Motherease onesize, Liz's cloth and prefolds seem to do a little better (usually just one cycle is fine).

I did have some venting work done on my dryer because it wasn't as efficent as it should be, but now, according to the Maytag man, it should be in top working order. Sorry I don't have much advice, but I have noticed the same thing. I think I'll probably just end up making "drying time" a criteria for picking the dipes that I actually order more of.

egoldber
05-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Can you run an extra spin cycle? My Fisher&Paykel washer has an incredible super duper spin cycle (I swear it sounds like a helicopter taking off) and clothes and diapers come out of the washer barely damp. I have no trouble getting my diapers dry after 50 minutes on medium high in my no frills Amana dryer.

HTH,

em_jon98
05-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Neve,
I'm sorry...I was laughing so hard at your story because that would TOTALLY be my older dog.

:)

em_jon98
05-08-2003, 09:39 PM
We live in a townhouse and have the same problem. I did clip them to a pants hanger and hang them from the drapery rod in front of an open window in Lindsey's room on Monday, when I did the initial washing (and two dryings). The premium prefolds did dry that way, but the Kissaluv and the Hemparoo will still a tad damp. They may have dried if I left them hanging there longer, but it was dark and I wanted to close the window when I put Lindsey to bed.

I probably won't leave them in front of the window very often--goodness knows what our association would dig out of the rule book to fine us for that--but it did seem to work.

em_jon98
05-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Hmmm...I'm not sure if I can do that. I have a Maytag Atlantis (the one that's the step down from the Neptune). The diapers come out damp, not wet. My dryer is a middle of the road gas Whirlpool.

I'll have to try playing with the buttons and see if I can get it to go through just a spin and not a spin and rinse. Thanks for the suggestion.

sparkeze
05-09-2003, 12:03 AM
My diapers with sewn-in soakers are still not completely dry after 2 cycles but dry enough that I just leave them hanging on the edges of the laundry basket for a few hours. Sometimes if I have just too many in at once it takes forever!

Another thing you can try is stick a dry towel in the dryer, that helps speed up drying time.

My fastest drying diaper is Darling Diaper pocket fitted. They would airdry in an hour! And the trifold soakers dry incredibly fast too. I need more of those!

AngelaS
05-09-2003, 06:35 AM
I have totally changed what I thought my diaper stash would be, 'cause so many take WAAAY too long to dry!

I like my Kissaluvs, but I don't like how long they take to dry!

Most of my diapers are Sew Darling AIOs that I've made. I bought hemp fleece and cut it and then I fold it to fit. So, basically I have hemp fleece flats that dry in about 30 minutes. I LOVE that! :)

I just made a hemp fleece diaper w/a two layer soaker. I LOVED it--fit like a disposable, super trim and oh, so cute. It took THREE dryer cycles and still wasn't dry!! YIKES! I knew it was too good to be true! LOL I ripped out the soaker and now it takes as long to dry as a Kissaluvs. The next one I make will be just serged on the edges so the turned layers don't take so long to dry.

Calmegja
05-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Neve-

Off topic,but we have the same washer/dryer...I have the Catalyst and the Senseon pair, and I completely hear you about the dryer...It's maddening. What the heck is the sensor for wetness for, if it doesn't work? Just what is it busy sensing?

We have been debating getting a different set, because I get so frustrated. Our Catalyst has been having a ridiculous amount of problems, and the last time the repair guy came he actually said "Your problem is that the machine just has too many doo-hickeys to stay in working order"....

And he was a Whirlpool repairman!

Anyways, just wanted to commiserate......

mama2be
05-09-2003, 08:41 AM
Jessica I saved over a $1,000 in repairs on this damn machine becaue i called the Sears folks who sold it to me and chewed them out in my final days of pregnancy. I might be at an advantage in that I bought it from the gals set aside to deal with 'new home sales' so not just a floor guy...but I reminded her my whole street was under construction still and that if she did not get the thing fixed at no charge to me I'd make certain everyone putting up a home was approached by me and told how awful the product is. the repair guy said the same thing to me by the way.

Gosh my parents still have their old avocado green fridge, washer and dryer in their basement that we had in my childhood and I never remember the repair guy coming out to look at it. Mine is two years old and I think the neighbors think I must be having an affair with the Kenmore guy he is here so much...

mama2be
05-09-2003, 08:42 AM
...great advice...I'm going to try that...

gravymommy3
05-09-2003, 02:21 PM
I have a Neptune Washer and Dryer. The washer spins the heck out of the diapers, but it still takes 99 minutes (I put the sucker on time dry and 99mins is as long as you can tell it to dry) and sometimes the hemp pfs and the hemp soakers I have still feel a touch damp. I can't hang mine outside (covenants) so I just hang them off any surface I can find to get them dry. It's a pain but what can you do?

em_jon98
05-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Hmmm...timed dry? You would think that I would have thought of that option :):):)!

I put them in for an extra spin (thank you Beth) and then set them on the longest timed dry cycle (thank you Amy) and then restarted the dryer for another 40 minutes. Amazing--dry diapers!!! Dry Kissaluv, dry JoeyBunz, dry everything!!!

I probably will spend half our gas bill drying diapers :), but I will have nice fluffy dry diapers.

egoldber
05-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Wow! I wonder why I have no trouble getting mine dry after only 50 minutes? Actually, I remember now drying them at my in-laws house over Thanksgiving and having no trouble there either.

My hemp prefolds are just "slightly" damp after the 50 minutes, but all my other diapers are otherwise are not very thick and I have no other hemp (except Joeys). I wonder if that is the difference?

mama2be
05-11-2003, 11:38 PM
I did the extra spin and it worked wonders for us too...thanks Beth. I don't think I have a timed dry option. Gosh I don't know I can't figure the thing out it has way too many options...but I don't think that is one of them...