PDA

View Full Version : Urine smell when washing diapers

mama2be
05-18-2003, 10:46 AM
I'm washing my CDs and we get a strong urine smell while they are washing thru out the house...is this normal or I wonder if something is wrong with my machine. I put 1/2 the amount of detergent (and usually add vinegar but I forgot it this time)...and some oxyclean...

What do you all think???

egoldber
05-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Vinegar could be the problem. Vinegar may be reacting with the urine. You may want to try dropping the vinegar or adding it only to the rinse cycle. (You can use a Downy ball to do this so that you don't have to "remember" to add it at the right time.) You may also want to try using some baking soda in your first wash cycle. It helps to neutralize the urine. I use baking soda if, when I add the diapers to the washer, the urine odor seems to be especially strong.

HTH,

Kate888
05-18-2003, 01:00 PM
I agree with Beth that vinegar could be the problem. I only use baking soda and tea tree oil with the detergent. I would stay from Oxiclean if possible. Although it's not as strong as bleach, it can gradualy damage the fabrics of cloth diapers in the long run. If you're afraid of stains, Zout works pretty well for us (and sun) :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02