PDA

View Full Version : Question about leaking

AugBaby
05-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Okay, I got my FBs in the mail and could barely wait to try them out. I did notice that dd's onesie was a little damp around the thigh. I'm using the Mother of Eden micro inserts. Do I need to insert it in a special way? I don't think I can make the thigh snap tighter without hurting her.

Thanks for your help.

Chrys

egoldber
05-23-2003, 03:52 PM
What size FB are you using? What size insert? How many inserts? How long was she on the diaper? So many questions... :)

In general, I find I need to use two MOE micro inserts to equal one JoeyBunz.

This is my basic problem with FBs. I have decided that the Larges are too big for my DD. Even on the tightest snap configuration, we get leg gap. With the petite toddler size, if I use with only one Joey, they work fine, but it seems like the thigh snap is incredible tight. FBs don't work for everybody. But I am still holding on to my Larges, hoping despereately that they will fit her some day!

AugBaby
05-23-2003, 07:36 PM
I'm using large size FBs, and I didn't know the inserts came in sizes. When I ordered them it didn't say. I can tell you that they seem a little longer than the diaper if I don't stretch the FB out all the way. I only put one insert in, didn't realize that maybe I should put more than one in. Jodi said that she thought that the absorbancy of a Joey and the MOE insert were the same. Are you saying that they're not? The inserts cost the same as the Joey :-(

Okay, she was only in the diaper for about a half hour. And that brings me to another question...how do you know when it's time to change? Usually she tells me, but of course there are times when she doesn't. Will I get used to the diaper feeling different like disposables? DD is a little over 25 lbs. and I really don't think I can make the diaper tighter on the leg without hurting her. It's on the second to last snaps. The leg doesn't look like it gaps, but I guess that it must be or else it wouldn't leak. Ugh! So I should try another insert? She's been in two more today without leaks, but I didn't do anything differently, and I hate the idea of not knowing why she leaked the first time.

egoldber
05-23-2003, 08:20 PM
The inserts come in two sizes, but it sounds like you have the larger size. Sarah wears the large FB on the smallest snap size and it still gaps. To be honest, I didn't think they were too large until I was watching her run around the house one day without pants and I SAW the huge sag and gap. Then I realized that even though I thought she had grown into them, they were still too large.

I know the inserts cost the same as a Joey. Isn't that something? In my experience, a Joey is more absorbant.

Had she been drinking a lot before she was wearing the diaper? Now that Sarah is capable of downing a 9 ounce water sippy in one sitting, I am finding that FBs just don't cut it for us with one Joey.

You will get used to the different feel of cloth. I switched when Sarah was 14 months and it took me a few weeks to sort of get "used" the different feel of the diaper and to gauge how much diaper she would need based on what she had been drinking that day! LOL! :) I still use my FBs, but they are no longer a fav and I don't like to use them whe I go out, because they haven't been that reliable for us.

Just an FYI, if you want a REALLY cheap FB stuffer, you can use a prefold. OR for another cheap option, Walmart has microterry towels in both the auto section (for car detailing) and also in the housewares section they have microfiber/microterry dishtowels. They are very simlar ot the MOE inserts and are quite cheap. Several women on the ParentsPlace Diapering board swear by them. :) I have used them myself and they really do work well.

AugBaby
05-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Thanks so much for the tip on the microterry towels. I haven't been too excited about using a prefold only because I'm so new to cd'ing. I've tried to make the snaps tighter and although dd complained one time, it may have been because I kept asking, "is that too tight?". We haven't had another leak and we've been through about five more changes on both the tighter and looser snaps. I'm hoping that this is all going to work out. I am noticing a slight rash on her and am hoping it's from something that she's eating and not the new diapers :-(. Also am noticing a funky smell, but will post separately. Thanks again for the info.