PDA

View Full Version : do I have enough?

sntm
05-29-2003, 07:54 PM
all right, finally inventoried my stash (I've bought randomly for a while). we will use disposables for the first few days and then switch to cloth. OB is predicting a "normal" sized baby, which she interpreted as 6 1/5 to 7 1/5 lbs. i don't want to overbuy on newborn stuff in case he grows like a weed, sooooo...

5 Bumpkin AIOs in small (6-12 lbs)
1 Prowraps AIO in NB (6-10 lbs)
Fuzzi bunz in medium (for later) (13-25 lbs)

Polar Babies cover in A (prob for later) (10-14 lbs)
Unknown wool cover in small (I think a Staccinator but has no tag)
2 Bummis snap cover in NB (7-10 lbs)
2 ME Rikki velcro covers in XS (6-12 lbs)
Prowrap cover in NB (6-10 lbs)

7 ME Sandy's in XS (8-20 lbs)
4 Kissaluvs fitteds in 1 (10-25 lbs)

6 Hemparoo PF seconds in infant
2 polar babies hemp PF

Joey Bunz
13 Fleece liners

7 cloth wipes, 9 cloth washcloths + disposable wipes
(hoping to make more as MIL works for a fabric shop and can get scraps and remnants free/supercheap)

Plan to buy snappis x 2 and maybe more prefolds if we like them. Do I need disposable liners? Do I need more small covers? I was hoping that with the AIOs we were good on those. The Sandy's and Kissaluvs seem so bulky now -- I don't know how he will fit in his clothes!

I want to guestimate when he will grow out of each item, so we can be prepared to order more stuff. I love the fuzzibunz, but I know some people don't have very good luck with them, and since he isn't HERE yet, don't know if he will be long and skinny or a chubster.

TIA, as always!!!! Welcome any and all comments.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

edited since I bought some more stuff!
I'm still nervous to buy too much now since I don't know what I will like, but don't want to be caught desperate when the time comes! i feel like i've spent so much money on these already, even with half of them used and 4 AIOs as gifts. <sigh>

egoldber
05-29-2003, 08:28 PM
Well, I think you need a LOT more of everything. My hypothetical newborn stash is: 12 newborn prefolds, 12 infant prefolds, 12 Kissaluvs size 0, and 12 Motherease XS Sandies and 8-12 Proraps newborn covers. And 4 dozen wipes.

Remember, you will be changing your wee one 10-12 times day for the first few weeks. And I read over and over that people who didn't buy newborn size things regretted it. Personally, I would rather have things that fit than try to make do with things that don't. You can always re-sell the stuff. And your CDing experience will be much more pleasant and less frustrating with diapers that fit.

Here's an interesting discussion from the Mothering board about this: http://mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60581&highlight=newborn

And there are some CDing mamas here with newborn stuff, whose babes may be outgrowing their stuff in time for you. :) You may want to ask around.

HTH,

AngelaS
05-30-2003, 06:18 AM
I agree that some more infant sized prefolds or fitteds would be a good thing! I think you need at least 24 diapers that fit at any one time and at 24 diapers, you'll still be washing about every other day, if not sooner! Cheap cpfs work great when babies are little 'cause you're changing your wee one SO often! :D

candybomiller
05-30-2003, 09:30 AM
I'm afraid you need a lot more. You're going to be changing a LOT of diapers and with your stash the way it is right now, you'll be doing laundry every couple of hours! Definitely get some infant prefolds. They can always be used to stuff fuzzi bunz later on, or as doublers, etc.

I understand what you're saying about not wanting to spend a lot of money at this stage, especially not knowing how fast Jack is going to grow, but if you don't have enough diapers to get through, you're going to get very frustrated very quickly and want to quit! The last thing you're going to want to do with a new baby is laundry every 5 seconds!

I think that there are some old threads by Neve about newborn cd'ing that had a lot of information that might be worth looking for if you have some time.

Candy
Mom to Matt
5/22/02

C99
05-30-2003, 09:59 AM
I agree w/ everyone else: buy more for the first 3 months. It's not that your stash isn't big enough, but a size 1 Kissaluv isn't likely to fit a baby just coming home from the hospital. I understand how you feel about not knowing what you'll like, but having CD'd a newborn, I will say that what you like will change over time (even within your stash), so it doesn't matter. The first stash is the learning stash (actually, I think that's true all around, but it's especially the first time-around), so don't worry about it. And if you have more kids, you'll be able to spread the cost out.

Babies do grow a lot, but I've been in the stage where Nate's NB dipes were way too big on him and it made CDing def. a lot more trying! FWIW, my NB stash was 12 Kissaluvs, 3 NB Proraps and 6 Bumkins AIOs (I returned 12 ME Sandys). I later added 6 CPFsm 6 Premium CPFs and 2 Prorap AIOs, but it wasn't enough. For the next one, I will likely double my initial supply.

parkersmama
05-30-2003, 02:13 PM
My newborn stash:

Diapers:
12 Kissaluv 0s
12 CPFs infant 4x6x4
6 ME Sandy's smalls
2 Sugar Pea's small hemp fitteds
1 ME Onesize
1 Little Lamb's newborn AIO
1 Prorap AIO small
1 Darling Diapers AIO small

Covers:
1 Bumpkins small
1 Bummis snap small
1 Proraps snap small
4 Proraps velcro small (seconds)
1 ME Airflow small

Other:
2 snappis
1 28qt Sterilite flip-top trash can
1 Reuzm's liner
1 Happy Tushies liner (large)
24 Darling Diapers cloth wipes

My dd was 9 lbs at birth so definitely on the big side and currently at 3 1/2 weeks weighs somewhere between 10 & 11 lbs. The Kissaluvs worked really well for the umbilical cord and were pretty much the only dipe I used (in addition to disposables) until the umbilical stump fell off. I still really like them but also love the CPFs with a snappi. The Sandy's are still on the big side but we're using them. They are much bulkier than the others especially when used with the ME cover. The ME cover is the bulkiest as well. I like the velcro Proraps covers the best right now. And we seem to prefer velcro covers to snaps. I haven't used the ME onesize or the Sugar Peas yet but will try this weekend. I have 8 covers and so far that's been plenty. I've been washing diapers approximately every other day with some to spare. HTH!