PDA

View Full Version : A New Mum's Cloth Diapering Dilemma

1stTimeMummytoLorelai
06-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Calling all experienced CD-ing mothers!

I am 25 weeks pregnant with our first baby and I am struggling with the diaper decision. My mother used cloth diapers with all 4 of us and never had diaper rash issues, but my sister is using disposable and her DD has the worst skin. Poor baby screams when she gets changed. So I really want to use cloth diapers, especially after reading message boards here, on mothering.com, and at babycenter.com.

But the problem is I am in the Army, I work crazy hours and I cannot leave my job until next spring even though our DD is due to arrive in September. My mother always used a diaper service, but I cannot for the life of me locate one in the Greater Richmond, Virginia area. I am seriously intimidated by the idea of CD-ing my little cutie for the 7 to 8 months I'm still working full-time. I have nightmares about walking stacks of dirty diapers.

Any advice for a new working (at least for a few months) mummy? Has anyone else been able to balance CDs and a briefcase?

Thanks in advance- Kate

liya
06-10-2003, 03:35 PM
im so glad your thinkin about taking the plundge...by means im nothing experienced in this just a beginner but all i can tell you is the washing is doable you just have to get enough diapes to last washing every other day...belive my in july i begin my full time law school but i really really think its doable...these ladys are great here im sure they'll give you great advice....

emilyf
06-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Kate,
Well, you could always try it, with the understanding that you can use disposables as back up. My mom used a service with 4 kids, but I think home laundry facilities are so much better now. Do you have a decent (easily accessible) washing machine? Mine are on the 2nd floor next to ds, and I have to say diaper laundry is probably the easiest chore I have. I also have a nice machine so don't have to worry about soaking or a lot of pretreating (I did in our old house with an older machine). I don't bother folding my diapers, just have baskets for each type (diapers, covers, prefolds, liners). I have added one additional load of laundry every 2-3 days. One other thing to consider is the type of childcare you will have-if it is daycare, you may have to do some persuading to use cds or you could just use them at home. If you will be having someone watch the baby at home, maybe diaper laundry could be part of their responsibilty? Best to luck to you with your pregnancy!
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

blnony
06-10-2003, 07:04 PM
I have a tiny crazy lunatic attached to my leg right now, and I will add to this when I can later, but I just wanted to reassure that the laundry with cloth diapers is not that hard at all.
You can basically wash them overnight, and throw them in the dryer in the morning and they are ready when you get home.
I do this, and I stay at home. It just saves me so much time and energy.
Gotta run...she's climbing into the bookcase.