PDA

View Full Version : the first of many questions on CDing

carolcarpenter
06-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Hi all,
I'm expecting my first in one week!! I have some disposables for the first week or two, and then my MIL paid for a cloth diaper service for July, but after that I'd like to buy my own.
It's a bit intimidating to learn all the CD lingo, so I'm hoping I could get some questions answered here.

1. I just won a lot of 4 Proraps AIOs on Ebay. They are size Large but they were such a good deal, I thought to get them now ($16 for 4 of them, free shipping--that's good, right?) Anyway, are there 2 different brands: "Proraps" and "Prowraps"? I've seen both spellings. If so, which is better?

2. Are "doublers" the same as "inserts"? Because I've seen the words used interchangably and then I've also seen auctions where someone was selling a set of doublers and a set of inserts. They looked the same.

3. Also, I'm pretty sure "liners" are the same as "inserts", right?

4. Is a "soaker" the same as a "diaper cover"? I've noticed that Aristocrats are described as soakers. Is that because they are wool?

By the way, I think I'm eventually just going to buy as the main bulk of my "stash" one of the Motherease package deals--the one-size diapers and the Airflow covers. Any thoughts on this welcome...

OK, that's enough for now. Thanks!!

nohomama
06-13-2003, 03:02 AM
1. $16 for 4 AIOs is a decent price if they're used and very good price if they're new. I've not used any AIO but from what I've heard people's experience with Proraps is mixed. Prorap and Prowrap both refer to the same company. The label on the inside of my covers says "Prorap."

2. You're correct. "Inserts" and "doublers" are the same thing.

3. Liners are different from doublers/inserts. They can be either disposable or not and disposable liners can be flushable or not. Disposable liners are primarily intended to make cleaning-up poopy diapers easier. Non-disposable liners are for easier clean-up but are also used to wick moister away from baby's skin.

4. "Soaker" is generally another word for doubler. I imagine the Aristrocrats cover is referred to as a soaker because it's made of wool and will absorb moisture rather than just holding it in.

In terms of the Motherease, buy one of their samplers before you invest in a whole package. That way you can try it out and if it doesn't work save yourself the trouble of having to resell a dozen or more diapers.

HTH,

egoldber
06-13-2003, 08:07 AM
The only thing I'll add here is that Motherease actually DOES refer to their snap-in doubler for the Onesize diaper as a liner. Go figure.

HTH,

carolcarpenter
06-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks both of you for answering my questions!