PDA

View Full Version : Looking at newborn diapers

egoldber
06-14-2003, 08:42 PM
And wondering what folks like and dislike. I'd like to "plan" a stash, so that I have time to hunt for bargains on eBay and whatever.

Here's what I'm thinking:
12 Kissaluvs 0
12 Motherease XS Sandies
12 infant regular prefolds
12 preemie prefolds (in case the infant regs are too bulky)

I'm thinking 6-10 newborn covers and 6-10 smalls.

I know that a lot of people think preemie prefolds are a waste, but I hate huge diaper butt. :) And I can always use them for doublers or something else.

After the little one outgrows the newborn stuff, I am hoping that my Motherease Onesizes that I have now will pretty much fit. I will probably want a dozen or so more fitteds and a few AIOs in size 1 or smalls and after that I should be OK with what I have.

What do you think?

em_jon98
06-14-2003, 10:01 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

liya
06-14-2003, 11:37 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.......im SOSOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU BETH>>>>YAYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...oh this is such good news i even told Ricky(my husband) and he was looking at me like i was nuts....oh geeezzz thats great!!!It looks like a really nice package you got there....lol ....OMG SARAH is going to have some company YESsssss i hated being an only child.....Congratulations........BTW maybe your baby and Arian will have the same bday....I was a couple of hours away from valentines day..lol

mommyj
06-14-2003, 11:49 PM
Congratulations!!!
Your stash looks pretty similar to mine, but I have less fitteds and more CPFs. I'm guessing you already know this, but the Kissluvs seconds from their outlet are the same price or cheaper than used Kissaluvs on Ebay. I joined their mailing list so I would know approximately when they were going to stock their outlet with seconds. Then, once they sent out the announcement, I checked their site a few times a day. It was worth it, because I got my 12 Size 0 seconds. They're so soft!
I also noticed Bizzy B makes organic newborn diapers that look pretty similar to the Kissaluvs. I don't know of anyone who's tried them, but since you have time, you might want to look into them.
I'll be more qualified to discuss CDing a newborn next month after my baby is born.
Have fun shopping!

Jami

egoldber
06-15-2003, 06:27 AM
Thanks! I knew Kissaluvs listed seconds, but I didn't realize there was a Yahoo group e-mail list.

And you guys need to check out the Announcement board more often. :) :P

Momof3Labs
06-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Definitely watch the Kissaluvs second - I believe that they were $79 for a dozen size 0 last time I saw them, but they went fast! That's a super price - you could easily get your money back when you are done with them.

liya
06-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Dianna isnt listing anymore seconds anytime soon...She told me she was swamped because they had been closed for 6 months and now they are just going crazy with all the work load...So sorry on that one :( but hey Beth maybe when your little one is about 5 months tummy wise..lol you can snatch those suckers up...

Marisa6826
06-15-2003, 01:32 PM
I just happened to pop my head in "here" and what wonderful news do I find!!!!

CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGRATS!!!!!

I'm so happy for you Beth!!!!!

Yay!!!

-m

parkersmama
06-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Hey, Beth! I did see the announcements board and I'm soooo happy for you! ;-) I just knew you'd already be thinking how to CD your new one! LOL!

My stash is pretty similar to yours. Although I really didn't have much newborn stuff. I have 12 Kissaluvs size 0, 6 ME Sandy's size small (they were pretty big at first), 12 bleached CPFs regular infant size (green stitching), and an assortment of other stuff (Little Lambs AIO, Bumkins AIO, Darling Diapers AIO, 2 Sugar Peas size 1, and a couple of Kissaluvs contours S/M). The Kissaluvs 0s work really well and have from the start. I'm guessing that Amy Grace is approaching 12 lbs and she's on the next to last snap so still some wear left in them. The Sandy's are still fitting on the tightest setting as are the Sugar Peas. The infant CPFs are still fitting nicely but I'm starting to consider my options for the next size up. Not ready to order yet...just perusing. I do have on ME Onesize and it's HUGE right now. I can make it fit but it's way too bulky still. My Little Lambs newborn AIO has seen it's last wearing! They are adorable and work well but run small and I'm going to have to sell it. For covers, I have an assortment...Bummis snaps, Proraps snaps and velcro, Bumpy Day, ME Airflow, Bumkins. I've found that I prefer the velcro type right now because they are so adjustable. Especially the Bumpy because it has a very wide velcro area that makes it adjust nicely to different leg sizes.

I know this is probably better suited to the yahoo list but if you're interested, I'd be more than happy to sell you our Kissaluvs 0s when Amy Grace outgrows them. They are in very good conditions and since I've discovered the sun they have no staining at all. I'm using Tide and doing pretty much the same washing procedure that you use. Just let me know sometime if you'd like them.

I didn't buy any newborn covers and sort of regretted it later. The only reason is that none of our covers have the umbilical cord cut-out so they covered it and didn't allow the cord to dry well. I ended up using disposables until the cord fell off at about 2 weeks. At that point, the covers all fit fine on their small settings to be used. She was about 9 lbs, 9 oz at that point. If you're going to buy newborn covers, I'd suggest the Proraps seconds since you won't be using them for long...it's a great way to save money. Of course, your baby probably won't be that big and may take longer to outgrow them! So hard to know! Also, 6-10 covers is plenty! I have around 8 (I think) and don't ever use them all up and that's with leaving one in the diaper bag most of the time. I change her about every 2 hours unless she's sleeping and we've probably only had poop on the cover 2 or 3 times even using the CPFs. I generally use two or three covers each day and wash every other day or so. I'm not sure if it's this baby or what but breastfed poop hasn't been nearly so explosive and runny this time as I remember from before! LOL!

I hope this helps and look forward to answering any more questions you have about newborn diapering because you've been sooo helpful to me in this diaper quest! :-)

C99
06-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Beth,

Sounds like a good stash to me! As you know, I CD'd Nate from the get-go and although he was a little bit smaller than most, he can still fit into the Kissaluv 0s at nearly 5 months and 15 lbs. Unfortunately, he'll pee through them in under an hour at this point, but if your little one isn't a super-soaker, s/he could be in them for a good 4-6 months.

I didn't use preemie CPFs, but got some 4x6x4s. On Nate, these really were not bulky -- I started using these when Nate was around 6 weeks and 7 lbs.

For covers, I think your plan to go w/ at least 6 covers is a good one. I started out w/ 3 and it was not nearly enough. I don't know if this is b/c Nate was so small, but he was in NB covers for a bit longer than Amy Grace -- maybe until about 3 months or so. If you like snaps, I have a NB Prorap w/ snaps that I don't think I will use again. LMK if you want it.

MartiesMom2B
06-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Beth:

I like your stash. I love the Kissaluv size 0. Martie is almost 13 pounds and they still fit great, better than the size one. It's funny because it was huge when I first got the newborn sampler from Colleen. The premie diaper will definitely be able to be used as a doubler for an infant diaper.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

SASM
06-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Wow Beth!!!

Sorry I can't help you with the dipe thing, but CONGRATULATIONS!!! Did I miss something or is THIS your announcement??? YEAH!!! :-) Enjoy the pregnancy and diaper shopping :-)

natividad
06-17-2003, 09:33 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Beth!!!

As some of you may know, I started CDing DS pretty much after the meconium passed. I think your stash is great and it is what I would plan for myself for next time around, except for the preemie prefolds.

As you will know, CDing a BF babe will be a bit different because your aim will inevitably be to contain that poop IN THE dipe, thus the Kissaluv 0's and XS Sandys are the way to go here. At 14 weeks, DS's poops are leveling off a bit, but it used to be that he would poop like with EVERY meal. Since I also used contours and prefolds, I found having a good number of covers to be essential with a newborn. I think 6 covers would be the absolute minimum.

My favorite newborn cover by far is the Prorap Classic. I also bought cheap nylon pant covers from Dappy (2 for $4.99) and believe it or not these have been the "workhorse" covers of my stash. I LOVE them! No wicking, no leaks or anything. I initially got them because in addition to my Proraps, I needed lots of covers to prevent that BF poop from getting into DS's clothes when he was wearing his CPF's and contours. I also wanted a cover that would fit over the umbilical cord and the pant covers did that very well. I definitely would suggest that you try a pack of the Dappys. They have them at Buy Buy Baby in Rockville. You can also get them at BRU under the Specially for Baby brand.

By the way, the small Motherease Airflow was huge on my DS for several weeks. He was 7 lbs. 5 oz at birth and then lost some weight. It was not until he was close to 9 lbs. that I started using the AF. My least favorite covers are Bumkins due to the huge velcro fasteners that keep rubbing against DS's belly. I wish they made their covers with snaps instead. Good luck!

Naty