PDA

View Full Version : Why to use cloth wipes and which ones do you like

liya
06-17-2003, 09:43 PM
ok i know all about the cost benefits but i need more opinions on the cloth wipes issue..It seams to be that its more stuff i have to carry around when i use it..Since i cant just dispose of it, it goes inside with everything else thats dirty making a huge bulk in my diape bag...I know for around the house they are fine since hey, your in your house and you can just toss em in the diaper pail but i dont know if they are really worth it...Ive found the Kirkland Wipes from Costco to be the best on Arian...They have no reaction on him whatsoever all the other wipes ive tried have been horrible on his hiney...But are the cloth wipes really worth it??? And if they are what combination is the best velour/velour...hemp/velour...hemp/hemp...flannel/velour...flannel/flnnel???
We are trying to cut down in our costs and this would be a benefit but i dont know, the traveling with cloth wipes it just seems like something else i have to lug around with..Ive hear of Beth saying she uses the wash cloths and that seems ok, but is it too hard on a babies bumm....

I dont know maybe i just need some convincing...I know it would be more natural..but.....*sigh*

egoldber
06-18-2003, 06:45 AM
I use very inexpensive baby washcloths for my wipes at home. I got several packages of 6 for $1 at Baby Depot and a few more at 6 for $3 at BRU. I have about 4 dozen. The washcloths are very very soft. You use a washcloth on babies bum in the tub, so why not the changing table?

When I am out, I use disposable wipes. I just find it easier to carry more with me and I was always forgetting to refill the wipes container. I just roll them up with the diaper, throw them in the wash with everything else and discard them afterwards.

HTH,

mommyj
06-18-2003, 10:04 AM
I'm still waiting to receive most of the cloth wipes I ordered, so I'll just pass along the feedback I got from my questions about cloth wipes. I lot of moms seem to like sherpa/velour. The velour/fannel ones seem to be pretty popular too, because you can get wipes with cute designs. The plain flannel ones aren't supposed to be as good for older babies' poo.
The cheapest option is definitely going with baby washcloths. I almost did that, but then I found some sites with really nice-looking wipes and decided to try some. My cloth wipes stash will consist of some baby washcloths, sherpa/velour, velour/velour, and velour/flannel wipes. I also got some plain flannel wipes to use during the newborn stage. I figured I would try out several different kinds of wipes and see what my baby and I like best.
If you decide you want to order wipes, the following 3 sites are ones that get good reviews:
www.darlingdiapers.com
Amber has a really good selection of CUTE wipes. She has some wipes in stock right now, and is supposed to be opening for some custom orders early nxt month.
www.lounginglizards.com
Stacy has organic sherpa, hemp, and velour wipes that look really nice. I should get my order of organic sherpa/velour wipes in about 2 weeks, so if you still need wipes feedback then, let me know.
www.smjae.com
Her prices are a little bit cheaper. She doesn't have as many fabrics to choose from, but I ordered some flannel wipes from her (for the newborn stage), and she got them to me right away.

The WHAMs at all 3 of these sites are incredibly nice.

HTH,
Jami

KathyO
06-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Ditto, ditto and ditto.

When it comes to whether the washcloths are hard on baby's bum - not that I've ever noticed, and they only get softer with each washing. It's actually kind of helpful having the option of the terrycloth side or the "smooth" side... when cleaning off the really sticky toddler poops, it's nice to be able to use the terry side for a little more... ummm... traction, as needed.

Cheers,

KathyO

natividad
06-18-2003, 02:20 PM
I also bought inexpensive cloth wipes from Marshall's - I believe the brand is Bon Bebe. I have about 36 which is plenty for us. I use them not only to wipe DS's tush, but also for just about anything - his face, hands, etc. I keep them warm in a container with essential oils mixed together with plain tap water. When out, I carry disposable wipes.

Naty

celfsh
06-18-2003, 03:59 PM
I do the same thing (cloth wipes at home and disposables on the go), although I have to say that while changing DD's diaper at the pool today, I REALLY wished I had my terry cloth wipes--as KathyO said, sometimes a little more "traction" really helps!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

heidi_timms
06-18-2003, 06:42 PM
I bought mine from darlingdiapers.com and I love them. I have some that are flannel and velour and some that are flannel and terry. The poop comes out of the velour a lot better and boy are they soft. I just ordered some from smjae.com (Michelle), but I haven't gotten them yet. I love the velour the best.

Edited to say that the cloth wipes grip much better than the disposables. We also use disposables on the go. I'll have to try the Costco brand. All others give DD a rash instantly!!!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

liya
06-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Kirklands are the only ones that dont give Arian a rash...And they are soo soft...So yeah try em and see...i was shocked when they didnt give Arian a rash...

em_jon98
06-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Linda,

I just ordered a whole bunch of cloth wipes because I'm tired of not having a place to throw the 'sposie wipes anymore. I have to carry wet/poopie wipes into the bathroom to throw them into the trash. We will probably still use disposable wipes when out, b/c there is usally a trash can nearby.

I just ordered a "garden variety" to try--some just flannel, some flannel/velour, some flannel/terry. I figure that even if we don't like them all for diaper changes, any of them will be great to keep on hand in the kitchen for post-meal hand and face wiping. I also plan to pick up a few pkgs of terry baby washcloths this weekend.

I think it will be a significant cost savings in the end (the Costco wipes are CHEAP, but my DH likes the Pampers wipes at 4.50/two refills). But, like anything else with CD'ing, the inital investment is what seems so staggering to me.

C99
06-19-2003, 12:09 PM
I do what Beth does -- cloth at home and disposables when out. Someone gave me a package of 12 (24?) baby washcloths that I wouldn't have used in the bath, so those became my initial stash of wipes. When folded in half, they fit perfectly in our wipes warmer. I also bought 6 wipes from Laura at Justins Buttons and 6 Fuzzibunz wipes from Colleen at Natural Babies. I also have two sample wipes -- 1 from Amber at Darling Diapers and another FB wipe from Colleen.

parkersmama
06-19-2003, 10:30 PM
I'm doing the same as others...cloth at home, disposables when out. I have to say that of everything about cloth diapering, I love the cloth wipes the best! They are soooo much more capable of cleaning the baby than disposable wipes. I'm really amazed at how much better a job they do. I used to use 4 or 5 wipes per changing and now it ususally only takes one cloth wipe! All the wipes that I have right now are from Amber at Darling Diapers. They are simply adorable and I love seeing them in the nursery and Amber has terrific customer service!