PDA

View Full Version : My 1st CD purchase ever

1stTimeMummytoLorelai
06-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Okay- so I am now thoroughly committed to the idea of CD our DD-to-be. And I have even got my DH on the bandwagon. (mostly because he has seen all the problems sposies have caused for my niece, poor baby)

Now comes the really scary part: building our newborn stash. And we have about 13 weeks to do it. I have been reading back through all the threads about assembling a stash and I am completly overwhelmed. My husband is very pro-hemp because it's so resistant to bacteria (he's a bit of a neat freak). I am wondering, did anyone just stick with prefolds to begin with and then work out from there after the little one was born? I am apprehensive to spend too much money on hemp fitted diapers before she's born (partially because DH is also a bit on the obssessivly thrifty side). I was thinking I could just stock up on prefolds and covers to start and then move to fitted once I have a better idea of how big she really is-- I've read that I could then use the prefolds as doublers later on.

Any feedback on this idea would be appreciated.

Also- does anyone have any suggestions on where to get hemp prefolds from and what covers to use with them? (I'm a little intimidated by wool covers because of the care instructions)

Thanks in advance,
Kate-
1st Time Mummy to Be on or around 22 Sept 2003

ps- sorry my posts are always so wordy- oh and my DH is a wonderful guy and he's going to be a great daddy- he's just going to have to adjust to the fact that babies are messy and cost money!! :) :)

egoldber
06-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Lots of people only use prefolds, so if that makes sense for you, then that sounds great. I am also planning my newborn stash (since I didn't start CDing until DD was 14 months) and I plan to use about half fitteds and half prefolds (which is my current stash as well).

I wouldn't recommend hemp for a newborn. It is (as you noticed :) ), very expensive. One of hemp's advantages is that is more absorbant than the same weight cotton. But since you are changing a newborn so often, 10-12 times a day, the diapers don't really have a chance to get saturated. The main problem is holding in the explosive force poop!

I am looking at a combination of infant chinese prefolds, Kissaluvs size 0 and Motherease XS Sandies. I will use the prefolds at home and the fitteds when out. Since I will also have an older child, I will probably be out more than you might be with only one child at home. To keep costs down, you can always look on eBay or other places for pre-loved diapers. :)

After your baby outgrows newborns, then you think about investing in hemp as your baby reached diaper sizes that they will remain in for longer periods of time.

HTH,

smkinc
06-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Hi,

I have the mom-and-me creations fleece topped hemp doubler--both the hemp fleece topped and MM fleece topped. She says on her website that you can use them in a wrap for a newborn babe. I don't know if anyone has tried this successfully, but I find these doublers to be very multi-purpose. It is my favorite item in my diaper stash because I can use them almost anywhere now (4.5 mos. 17.5lbs). I'm still working out my stash--because my son has grown out of almost everyhting I had at first and has been very hard to fit--but I use these as doublers in my LC without a cover, in some hand-me down Kushies classics (to prevent the dreaded Kushie leaks), on top of a Joey Bunz in a Bummis whisper wrap, as a folded-up front insert on top of a JB in a Happy Heiny... Also, they are very economical for hemp--I think I paid $10 for 6.

It may be something to look into becuase they're hemp, relatively cheap and you can use them now or later...

HTH,
Mary

1stTimeMummytoLorelai
06-24-2003, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the advice ladies!

Melanie
06-24-2003, 12:45 PM
Check out the link I put for the Kissaluvs...you could get a dozen plus some bonuses...