PDA

View Full Version : Cloth diaper changes...

SeekerMage
06-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Im still considering the cloth diaper route, but still have a few questions.
How often do you change their diapers?
How do you rinse the poop?
How easy are they to clean in the wash?

egoldber
06-18-2003, 04:32 PM
When I am home, I change her diapers about every 2 hours (unless she has pooped of course). If I am going out, I usually add a doubler like a JoeyBunz to her diaper so that I can go 2-3 hours without changing her. You will be changing a newborn 10-12 times a day regardless of whether you use cloth or disposable, since they poop so often.

I have an older baby, so her poops are not like newborn poops. But I will share what I do, since it would apply after your baby is 5-6 months old. I use fleece or flushable liners in her diapers. Whe she poops, I shake the fleece liner over the toilet and the poop usually comes off. If it doesn't come off, I dunk the liner in the toilet. If she is wearing a flushable liner, then you just flush the liner wiht the poop in the toilet. (The liners are sort of like thick toilet paper.) If the liner has only been peed on, then you can wash them with the diapers and re-use them many, many times.

Here's my wash routine. I do a full wash in cold with 1/3 of recommended amount of Tide. I then wash on hot with a smidge more of Tide. I have no problems with stains. The few stains I have had have gradually faded over time with no effort on my part. I think my diapers are very clean.

HTH,

MartiesMom2B
06-18-2003, 06:50 PM
To remove bf poop from my diaps I use a fleece liner in all diaps. I then use the peri bottle given to me at the hospital and squirt the poop in the toilet.

I basically do the rest the same as Beth.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

natividad
06-18-2003, 10:53 PM
I change every two hours as well unless he has pooped. My DS is exclusively BF so his poop is the runny, explosive kind lol! I use Gerber E-Z liners, but some of the poop will inevitably get on the diaper.

I scrape poopy diapers with an old toothbrush in cold running water in the tub. Sounds gross and complicated, but I promise you it is not. I then squeeze excess water and they go into a dry pail. I then do a cold soak with 1/4 All Free & Clear then a hot wash with a little less detergent. I dry for 60 minutes.

HTH,
Naty

sparkeze
06-19-2003, 12:03 AM
I change DS every 1-2 hours at home, every 2-3 hours when we're out. I did the same with disposables.

I have a minishower which connects to the water supply to the toilet and I spray off all the poop into the toilet.

I wash on hot with a sprinkle of Tide Free, 1/2 cup baking soda, some drops of Tea Tree Oil. Obviously the machine does all the hard work! :)