PDA

View Full Version : cloth diapers

jd11365
06-18-2003, 09:30 PM
I've decided I would like to start CDing at home. DD's looks so uncomfortable sometimes and I know she would prefer not to have that elastic sticking into her chubby little thighs. I am skeptical because it is obviously extra work than throwing away a disposable...I hate to do laundry. DH will probably still use disposables, and I will probably use them when we go out for convenience, but for staying at home, I would like to try the cloth. I don't want to buy too much, and I want the EASIEST method possible. What do you suggest I purchase and from where?

Thanks!

MartiesMom2B
06-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Jamie:

You would probably want an All-in-one diaper. I've only tried the proraps which worked well for me, but you might ask the others which ones they like better. The all-in-one diapers is the most like a disposable for convenience.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

egoldber
06-19-2003, 06:35 AM
Well, in theory, the easiest method may be an AIO, but maybe not really. The reason I say that is because many AIOs do not do the best job at containing poo and are more prone to leaks (in my experience). So a simple fitted and cover may be easier.

It is more work in some ways and not in others. While you do have to wash the diapers, you do not have to go out and buy diapers. You don't have to take the diapers out to the trash can. Or buy refills for your diaper pail.

And I promise you, I am a VERY lazy person, who has to FORCE herself to fold and sort all the clothes she washed that week (I have even resorted to buying MORE laundy baskets so I don't have to fold clothes sooner!!LOL!!) and I have no trouble keeping up with diaper laundry. You throw them in, start the washer and walk away. You put them in the dryer and walk away. Many people just store their diapers in the laundry basket and never fold them and put them away. I do fold them, but this is something that Sarah and I like to do together so that's why.

So for easy, I would recommend a Motherease Onesize or Sandy and a Motherease Airflow cover. While they are not everyone's favorite diaper, they work for a lot of people, are readily available and pretty reliable. But I think you will find that once you get into it, you may find yourself bitten by the bug to find the "perfect" diaper! I really try to restrain myself, but it is pretty hard sometimes!

HTH,

muskiesusan
06-19-2003, 08:51 AM
I wanted to have an "easy" system as well, and since Nick didn't like the fitteds I had, I got some AIOs to see if they would fit the bill. The problem I have is b/c you shouldn't put them in the dryer b/c of the PUL, they take FOREVER to dry. They are never ready when I need them and that aggrevates me to no end. So I am looking into other fitteds to try.

I also use Fuzzi Bunz's a lot and I find them pretty easy, too.

I also hate to do laundry and find that for me, dressers are there to just make me look organized. If you need clothes, go find a basket and start searching! But, I have been very good and am not bothered by laundering diapers.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01

celfsh
06-19-2003, 09:50 AM
I know I am always telling people to try a CD sampler before investing in any one thing, but I really think it's the best way to go if you are just starting out. Beth recommended this to me when I was just getting into cloth, and I'm really glad I went this route. As it turns out, what I thought would be my favorites (fitteds and AIOs) aren't, and what I didn't think I would like (CPFs and wraps) I really do! (I also really like FuzziBunz--they are so easy and DH's favorite.) I think you just never know until you give everything a try--you might be surprised!

BTW, Colleen at www.naturalbabies.com has a great sampler if you are interested.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

jd11365
06-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Thanks! Can you recommend any other sites which have good sampler packages or is this the best deal?

egoldber
06-19-2003, 07:42 PM
I don't know if it's the best deal, but Colleen has terrific customer service and is great to deal with. All the diapers in the package are "name" brands, so if you decide to sell any of them, you should get almost all your money back. I would add a JoeyBunz to her package. She has a FuzziBunz in the package, but no JoeyBunz.

But Amanda at naturalebaby.com has one too that is very similar and I have had terrific dealings with her too.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
06-19-2003, 07:55 PM
Note that Colleen is moving soon and so she will be closed from 6/20 - 7/5, so if you want to place an order with her, do it tonight or plan to wait a couple of weeks for your stuff.

parkersmama
06-19-2003, 10:00 PM
I agree with Beth that Sandy's and Airflows are a super-easy system to use. My only gripe about them is that they are bulky and creat quite the diaper butt (at least on my baby who is in the tightest setting on both dipe and cover). Another very easy system would be Kissaluvs fitteds and a velcro/aplix cover such as a Proraps or Bumpy Day. Kissaluvs contours are also extremely easy but not as good at containing the messes!

mommyj
06-19-2003, 10:30 PM
If you decide to order from Amanda at naturalebaby.com, you might want to wait until the end of the month. She's moving right now, but I'm pretty sure she's planning to have a sale.
She also has excellent customer service, and is extremely patient
and good at answering questions. I ordered my newborn diaper stash from her.

em_jon98
06-19-2003, 11:20 PM
I've ordered from both Colleen at Natural Babies and Amanda at Naturalebaby and had great experiences. They both ship promptly and have great communication.

Colleen has a good sampler pack. Also, I was looking at Babiesunderwraps.com tonight, and she has a really nice sampler. It includes a good assortment of things to try and about enough diapers to get through one day (you may need to use a disposable at night). I've never ordered from her, but I queried the board for feedback, as she has quite a few of the items I'm interested adding to my assortment. You may also want to try an intoductory offer of a Onesize, cover, and doubler from Motherease, and I think if you call them you can get a similar Sandy package for a slightly higher price. A lot of people, including me, really like the Airflow covers.

HTH