PDA

View Full Version : My diaper pail stinks...peeeeuuuuu

liya
06-22-2003, 10:07 PM
omg i have no idea what to do with this smell its killing me everytime i open the darn diaper pail...omy it reaks...terribly...what do i put in it YUCK!!!

flagger
06-22-2003, 10:43 PM
FWIW, I spritz a little lysol everytime I change the bag and have never had a problem with either the Dekor or the Genie.

C99
06-23-2003, 08:32 AM
Do you use liners (bags) or do you just use the pail as-is? I was having this problem a few weeks ago (I use the liner-bin as-is; no bag or liner) and I just gave it a good rinse out with hot water and some detergent and vinegar.

HTH

egoldber
06-23-2003, 08:55 AM
How often are you doing laundry? If mine sit more than a day or to, then it starts to smell.

Also, do you think you could have detergent build up in your diapers? That will really make them reak. I read recently about using Calgon occasionally to strip diapers. This was someone with VERY heard water who has a really hard time with detergent build up no matter how little detergent she uses.

HTH,

Kate888
06-23-2003, 09:23 AM
Like Beth mentioned, it could be detergent build up, especially if you have a lot of hemp dipes. If it's just the pail, here is what I do to reduce the odor: use a pail liner, tape a citrus circle on the lid, spray the pail with Lysol when I do laundry and open the lid to air out. Some people dip a cotton swab in lavender oil or tea tree oil and tape it on the lid. Oh, and open the windows ;)

HTH :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

liya
06-23-2003, 10:15 AM
ok i use a step on stailess steal pail with a removable bin that they sell at target.con really cool though...but could it be detergent build up..i mean they stink like peee...bad bad peee....i jsut though cause the lid was so tightly closed that no air circulation got in thus the stinky odor....OH MY if its build up i would be screwed cause i would have to wait to order from drugstore.com some calgon(they dont sell any water softner here).....YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! No pail liner though i mean i would think it would stink even more...I do rinse the pail though with some lysol and vinegar after i do this no stink....so the pail isnt the problem its when the diapes are in there...i was ever other day or so.....lately everyday cause i cant stand the stick bomb when i take em out...

blnony
06-23-2003, 10:23 AM
You might want to use a pail liner. I use on of the Bummis totes for a liner, and I just wash it with my dipes. I also have a cloth laundry bag from Target and use it occassionally. I just have one of the rubbermaid trash cans from Target. I just have a citus scented stick up on the lid, and I don't have any odor problems. I wash every other day though. You could always try putting baking soda in it, I did that with my diaper champ when we used disposables and that really helped on the pee smell.
Good luck-

liya
06-23-2003, 10:33 AM
baking soda didnt help...:( i wash every other day also.....oh my what to do...im going to stick car air freshners in that thing...lol

C99
06-23-2003, 12:31 PM
That's what I use as well. I have noticed that it smells bad when the diapers are in there...but not when they are not. I think it may be time to strip my diapers.

liya
06-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Shoot...i was hoping you didnt say that....

parkersmama
06-24-2003, 10:38 PM
I think that using a "freshener" of some sort really helps. I use a Sterilite flip-top trash can for a pail and use either a Happy Tushies pail liner or a Re-uzm's pail liner. After there are more than a few dipes in the pail it begins to smell only when the lid is open. I usually use a citrus disk from Natural Babies (smells sooo good!) but I just realized that the one I had seems to have been "used up" so I dipped both ends of a q-tip in tea tree oil and taped it to the inside of the lid. Now everything smells great again!