PDA

View Full Version : cleaning covers and a wipes question

Daisy918
06-24-2003, 01:05 PM
The covers never seem dirty, but they are touching a wet diaper, so I was wondering how often I should be cleaning them. Do you switch covers w/every diaper change? Do you wipe it out?

Also--wipes are becoming such a pain. I used to roll them up in the sposie--now I have to throw them out and then deal w/the poopy diaper. Are there flushable wipes somewhere? I know there are cloth ones, but it seems like it would be a pain to always have them ready w/soap and everything. Plus they seem pricey.

Thanks!

egoldber
06-24-2003, 01:11 PM
Daisy,

I re-use a cover all day unless it has been pooped on. If the diaper was saturated and the cover is wet, I use a different one and let the first one air out until the next diaper change.

And that is why I switched to cloth wipes. It is so much more convenient to just throw them into the pail with the diaper and re-use them. FYI, you CAN wash disposable wipes with your diapers and discard them afterwards. I do this with the wipes I use when I am out and about. I have about 4 dozen cloth wipes. I use VERY cheap baby washcloths and spent about $10 for the 4 dozen. I store them in an empty disposable wipes container. I have two wipes containers that I rotate between. I keep one container filled with pre-moistened wipes. When I fold laundry I put the clean, dry ones in the extra container. When the first container is almost empty, I just add water to the other container. It sounds complicated, but it is very easy to do and takes almost no time.

HTH,

mommyj
06-24-2003, 02:45 PM
A lot of moms seem to keep their wipes dry and then just have a spray bottle next to their changing area to wet the wipes when they need them. That's what I plan to do when my baby is born next month. That way I don't have to worry about any mold growing in the wipes container, but I can still have wet wipes without running to the sink every diaper change.
The cheapest route for cloth wipes are the baby washcloths Beth recommended. If you want cute ones that aren't as pricey, you could look at www.SMJAE.com. The terry or velour wipes are supposed to be better for cleaning poo than the flannel ones. But, probably the easiest and cheapest route would be the baby washcloths.
I haven't tried flushable liners, but I'm pretty sure Kushies makes some. I think I remember reading that they aren't very soft. There are also rice paper liners, but I don't know if those are flushable.

egoldber
06-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Just FYI, I seem to use up a container in 1 1/4 days. :) I also add 3 drops of tea tree oil to the wipes when I add the water. I have never had a problem with mold.

And rice paper liners are flushable and hold up much better than the Kushies ones to washing and re-using.

HTH,

parkersmama
06-24-2003, 05:33 PM
I do basically the same thing as Beth. I usually use a cover for one day and then put it in the pail to be washed. I switch between two covers so that while one dries the other is being used. If one gets poop on it then it goes straight into the pail. I've wash disposable wipes and they really do fine...just through them out either between the washer and drier cycles if you see them or just wait until you fold the dry dipes to throw them out. They don't disintegrate like a tissue does so it's pretty easy. I use cloth wipes when I'm at home. I got a bunch from www.darlingdiapers.com and I love them! I think I have about 24 and I just wash them with the diapers. I wash diapers every other day (approx) and I haven't run out of wipes yet. I keep about 8 or 9 wipes in an old disposables wipe box with water, a squirt of baby soap, and a few drops of tea tree oil. No mold or mildew so far! I do dump the solution out whenever the wipes run out and match a new batch of liquid for the next set of wipes. HTH!