PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

em_jon98
07-08-2003, 06:00 PM
I ordered a dipe and some wipes from a WAHM. I asked for and paid for priority shipping (becuase I have never had an issue with priority mail, but have had some with regular), but she shipped it parcel post (and admitted to me that she deals with so many pkgs at the post office that she just tells the postal worker to ship it parcel post unless priority is less than a dime's difference). She mailed the pkg on 7/23, it has not arrived, and neither her post office nor mine is holding on to the package.

She is basically telling me that there is nothing she can do for me at this point. I appericate her position, because I did not ask that the package be insured, but I'm a little "miffed," all the same, because she did not ship the package using the service I requested and paid for.

I'm still new at this whole buying from a WAHM mom thing so I don't want to overstep my bounds as a buyer. And I really do want to support WAHM's, because I think they are doing a great thing for their childern. But, I feel like she should at least refund the shipping costs, since she did ship it incorrectly (and I don't want to blame the post office's mistake on her, but I feel like the pkg would have been far more likely to show up had it been shipped priority, which is why I requested it). I mean, I'm out $25 and have nothing to show for it. Do you think it would be unreasonable of me to ask for her to refund my shipping?

nohomama
07-08-2003, 06:21 PM
I would request a FULL refund. As you said, you requested and paid for Priority Mail because of problems you've had in the past with Parcel Post. She did not do as you requested and consequently overcharged you for shipping. The package may not have been insured but in my opinion she is the one who should absord the loss, not you. She may deal with a lot of packages but that's part of running a mail order business and not an excuse for not doing as a customer has requested. Being a WAHM doesn't make poor customer service somehow excusable. You'll never now for certain if your package would have been lost if it was sent via Priority Mail, but since the WAHM didn't ship the items as requested, she should take the hit.

Edited to add: If you paid by credit card, you may want to contact your credit card company. They may cover merchandise lost in the mail. Also, if this woman refuses to do anything the rectify the situation, you can dispute the charge.

pritchettzoo
07-08-2003, 06:27 PM
If she had shipped it priority mail, you would have been able to track the package. I think that comes with the service and does not cost extra (I can't tell from the USPS website...). At least that would give you SOME idea as to where it is.

She should AT LEAST, if she wants to keep your business and not have her identity exposed on this board which would likely cause her to lose other business, ship you new products at cost. WITHOUT charging for shipping since she basically stole your money on that the first time.

I *believe* (granted, this is coming from (a) a woman with pregnant brain who is (b) studying for the Bar exam and has way, way too much crap in her head right now) that a WAHM would likely be treated no differently than a retail establishment under contract law--you paid for goods that you did not receive. The "risk" in the transaction is usually born by the seller, not the buyer. You have fulfilled your end of the contract by paying for the merchandise and shipping and handling. If you do not receive the merchandise, she has breached the contract.

You aren't the bad guy here, so don't feel guilty about standing up for yourself.

Good luck. If she refuses to do ANYTHING, I would definitely reveal her name to caution others!

Momof3Labs
07-08-2003, 06:40 PM
I agree that she should at least refund your shipping (but a good businesswoman would do more than that - even just split the loss). I mean, what is the point of offering priority mail shipping (and charging for it) if you ship everything parcel post?

Treat the WAHM the way would you treat any other business owner - that's what she is, and that's how she should behave!

And then tell us who she is so we are warned....

liya
07-08-2003, 07:21 PM
totally get your money back on shipping..i mean i should know..im in the same boat...sigh...i should be getting a replacement anytime soon but the soon is soooo slowwww....anyhow you can track a package with reg mail also it just has to be 3/4 of an inch..and a diaper always makes those inches easy, so it was very inconsiderate of her to at least not put some del confirmation on it...i mean what in heck do these wahms do with the extra cash we send them....

ok not a good topic for me...im still waiting furiously for my cpfs

Calmegja
07-08-2003, 08:55 PM
I had this happen awhile back, and the WAHM mom kept telling me I was out of luck. She gave me tracking numbers, which the post office said were invalid, and it just got strange. Turned out the packages were never shipped, and had been sitting in her carport for a quite awhile.

Prior to her finding them, she had agreed to give me a steep discount on a re-order of the same items. It was kind of a split the difference situation.

If she's not conducive to a full refund, maybe that would work?