PDA

View Full Version : Huggies NEW Newborn Wipes

JustMare
07-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Wow, I feel like I'm crashing in on the CD Forum! :)

Has anyone tried the New Huggies Newborn Wipes? I'm wondering just how different they are from the regular ones. (Not like I even know what regular ones are like!)

It's just that I have a $1.00 coupon (due to expire within the month) and my supermarket doubles the coupons, so I was thinking picking up a tub. Do wipes have an expiration date?? If I don't open it, the liquid won't evaporate before baby gets here will it?

mama2be
07-16-2003, 09:40 PM
Mare if you have a Costco around you I can not stress how much I love their wipes. We use them, but have run out and the nearest Costco is an hour away...we are going jsut for that this week-end, but the new ones I got dry out my hands so much!!!!

I'm not saying don't use your coupon...but just raving about my Costco "kirkland" brand wipes...

I also use cloth wipes that I really love the best from Darling Diapers.com...

JustMare
07-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the Costco Wipes tip, Neve! I'll remember them when it's time to stock up.

I'm so sorry that your nearest Costco is an hour away! But think of it this way, your actually saving money by it being so far. I feel so guilty to have five Costco's all within a 20 min drive outside the city. Therefore, we always somehow pass one and say we need _________ or we ran out of __________. My Mom tends to go there once a month and do a huge shopping trip. She claims to spend less that way.

Do you know how long an unopened package will last???

egoldber
07-16-2003, 10:07 PM
I would think that a package unopened would last a LOOOOONG time. I have opened packages that I have then used for several months and they were fine as long as I shut the lid tightly.

HTH,

AmbyChelle
07-16-2003, 10:14 PM
They won't dry out.. or rather.. shouldn't. I STILL have a package of huggies wipes that I bought when I was about four months pregnant... opened them when Baylee was a newborn, and she's 18 months old now and they've not dried out (we use cloth wipes most of the time, but it's handy to have some disposable wipes for trips and such) even though they are "open" with the lid kept on. I don't know anything about how the newborn wipes would be different though. On a quickie side note, if you get wipes and they seem to irritate baby's skin (ours did when bay was little.. but not now) you can run the stack under tap water and sort of rinse out some of the fragrance/soap/alcohol they put in them and give that a try so you aren't wasting an entire tub if they seem a bit harsh on a newborn... just personal experience speaking since we used disposable diapers and wipes both when my sweetie was a newborn. HTH,

AmbyChelle

C99
07-16-2003, 10:57 PM
I have the same coupon and was wondering the same thing! I almost never buy disposable wipes, but I was curious to try them myself!

MartiesMom2B
07-17-2003, 07:20 AM
Neve:

The next time I see you I'm going to have to compare your Costco wipes to my BJs wipes. I wonder if they are the same but in different packages, because those BJs wipes (Berkely & Jensen) are soooo soft. Everything else feels like a rough paper towel compared to these.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

peanut4us
07-17-2003, 07:44 AM
we do too. the quality is excellent, and they are just the right size. our costco is about 30 minutes away, and it's pathetic, but i can't tell you how many dates we've been on at costco!

gravymommy3
07-17-2003, 11:10 AM
You can revive dried-out wipes by just adding some water to them. I have left the travel packs in my car many times and the heat (and time) and the fact that the travel thing is not very airtight lead to dried-out wipes. A little water and they are good to go!

heidi_timms
07-17-2003, 04:10 PM
I too am wondering about the chemicals in the newborn wipes. We also use cloth wipes because DD was so sensitive to other disposable wipes. Everytime we use disposables, she gets a rash. It would be nice to get some for the diaper bag if they are less irritating.

Anyone use these on a newborn?

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

nathansmom
07-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Haven't tried them on a newborn but did on my almost 6 month old. He is sensitive to most wipes and his allergist gave me a free sample of these. They didn't cause the red marks that the others do with him. If you could find these at a decent price I think they will work nice for babies who are sensitive not just newborns. My local store charges an extra $1 for these wipes over the price of the natural care.

HTH

JustMare
07-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Sonia,

I personally prefer BJ's over Costco. I put up with Costco for my Mother's sake only (she dragged me there today). We joined together and some how I wind up paying the membership fee each year! She uses things that Costco has that BJ's doesn't carry. But I find that BJ's has less crowds, more open registers, more parking, their BJ brand is actually less expensive than the Kirkland brand, better baby selection, accepts credit cards and manuf. coupons. Just had to vent. I HATE going to her Costco. Never is that store empty. I swear it must do the best business out of every other Costco on Long Island. Always crowded! Ugh!!!

But thats good to know that BJ wipes are super soft. I read in their newsletter that they are actually made out of cloth, not paper and not compared to any other brand. I'll have to pick up a box. Hopefully now I'll notice the baby coupons in their newsletters. Do they offer coupons on the BJ wipes? I know I've seen Pampers coupons in there.

Do you know if the BJ or Kirkland wipes fit into the Huggies travel container??

gisele
07-18-2003, 01:07 PM
I don't use wipes. At our Baby Care class at the hospital, they said just to use water with cotton balls, or paper towels. They discouraged using wipes, especially on newborns because of the chemicals. They really aren't necessary.

I use cotton balls and the cotton pads with water. I buy the drugstore brand and they work fine cleaning him. My baby is over 11 weeks old and I've had no trouble with just using water. And it is MUCH cheaper than using wipes!

The only time I use a wipe is when we are on the go - I have one of those free trial packs in the diaper bag just in case.

cilantromapuche
07-19-2003, 03:03 PM
i just went through a box of newborn wipes and didn't have a problem with them. peanut did react to the plastic in the diapers at the hospital, so the wipes must be pretty mild. he is 2i/2 weeks now and we are going to regular wipes.

MartiesMom2B
07-19-2003, 04:24 PM
I've never seen coupons for the wipes but they are the same price as pampers with a coupon. $8.99 for 400 I think. Yes they do fit in the travel case.

One more thing to love about my BJs: SELF SERVICE REGISTERS. I love it. We also just got Martie a Baby Einstein video set for $30.00.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03