PDA

View Full Version : It worked! It worked!

1stTimeMummytoLorelai
07-17-2003, 12:34 PM
Okay ladies! As soon as I have pictures I'll post them here but I figured out a great, inexpensive and quick way to dye your Prorap or Green Earth covers if anyone is interested.

I didn't want to make a whole batch of Rit dye to test out one t-shirt and one cover, plus putting dye in my washer scares me so I got spray on fabric dye from Michael's. The dye is by Tulip I think. I got about 5 or 6 different colors (to include one that's glittery). Then I layed out the cover and one of those newborn t-shirts on some plastic and newspaper and sprayed the color onto the front and back of the t-shirt and onto the outside of the diaper cover. I used the pink and the yellow and sprayed them over each other. Then I let them dry for 24 hours and after 72 hours I laundered them like normal and TAA-DAA!! They look soooooo darn cute. My DD now has a matching t-shirt and diaper cover outfit to hang around the house in as a newborn. My DH thought I was insane at first, but he's very impressed now!! I think I'm going to leave some of my covers plain white, but now I have fun colored ones too!

I'll put the outfit on a doll or teddy bear or something and take a picture to post here, but I was just too excited to wait for a picture to share!

Kate
10 weeks and counting to DD's arrival!!

lizamann
07-17-2003, 01:48 PM
can't wait to see the pictures! Hmmm, maybe I'll try this. I hope they're still water resistant.

Beth

liya
07-17-2003, 07:40 PM
I hate proraps...but i would love to see that concept...lol

lizajane
07-17-2003, 08:49 PM
i am fascinated! what fun! i may have to try it.

liya- i love proraps, so i am dying to know what you use that is even better! tell!!

liya
07-17-2003, 09:24 PM
BUMPYS AND WOOL!!!!!!! Im begining to love the Bummis now though i hated them at the newbie stage but now they fit so much better...But nothing beats the trimness of my BUMPYS and the gussets....NO PLASTIC FEEL...Im dying to see her concept though it sounds interesting....and ive been thinking of dying my white bumpys...lol...but WOOL is my LOVE now...Pretty ironic how things you hate become things you love...But ive always hated the proraps...i never liked them...to plastic for me

1stTimeMummytoLorelai
07-18-2003, 12:58 PM
The cover is still water resistant because the spray-on fabric paint is so light that it only dyes the outside cotton layer of the cover and doesn't really affect the inside waterproof layer. That's another reason why I was kinda scared to use the Rit-type dye. I was afraid that would damage the cover. I took pics today so maybe by next week I can post them on here.

More later!
Kate

Calmegja
07-18-2003, 02:10 PM
I love Bumpy's and Bummis, as well.

I just ordered my first wool Bumpy. I'm so excited to get it!

lizajane
07-18-2003, 05:24 PM
if we run into trouble with the proraps, we will def. try out the bumpy. and i can't wait to try dyeing one of my boring white proraps. i just have to remember not to make them too "boy" in case we are blessed with a second child who is a girl! hmm... i wonder about using a stencil for the spray on dye! yellow stars could be cute!!

can't wait to see the pics, kate!

ps. i wonder if you could start a SAHM dyed prorap market... i wonder what prorap would think of that...

liza

parkersmama
07-19-2003, 10:40 AM
That's a great way to do it, Kate! Thanks for the tip! I might just go buy some of that spray dye today. :-) I like the boring white since they don't show under clothes but it's fun to have some cute colored ones too!

BTW, another BIG thumbs up for the Bumpy's!!! They are *by far* my favorite cover! The feature that I like best about them is the wide velcro area...it's makes them infinitely adjustable so that they fit over a wide variety of diapers and really grow with the baby.

lizajane
07-19-2003, 04:57 PM
i bought the paint today! i am going to test the stencil theory tonight. "celestial" and bugs. sonia- you must come make some for martie. i have yellow and blue. i'll let you all know how the stencils go.
liza

1stTimeMummytoLorelai
07-25-2003, 04:51 PM
STENCILS!! what a great idea!! I sent pictures in to get developed, but I haven't had a chance to pick them up yet. I'm on leave this week with my DH and loving the quality time together now that he's back for Iraq, so I've been slacking on the errands and the posting.

More later,
Can't wait to hear about the stencils!
Kate

lizajane
07-25-2003, 08:53 PM
well... i have been meaning to get a pic, but i do indeed have a "celestial" butt prorap for DS!!! i have been so busy trying to get his naps back on track, i haven't gotten a chance to try another. but the one i did worked out pretty well! i will ask DH to bring home the digital camera on monday so that i can post a pic.

:)

liza

MartiesMom2B
07-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Liza:

When are we going to have a prowrap dying party? I also want to see if I can dye some of her boring white onesies. What do you think?

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

lizajane
07-26-2003, 07:58 PM
definitely! next week! i sew patches of fabric onto white onesies, too. :)

liza

MartiesMom2B
07-26-2003, 08:03 PM
Uhm Liza, I'm sewing impaired. All I could probably do is sew a button. LOL.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03