PDA

View Full Version : My baby is here...now I have a question about covers

mommyj
07-20-2003, 06:50 PM
I posted a short announcement in the lounge...I had a baby boy July 13. Dylan is doing great, and I'm recovering from my c-section. He was a footling breech, and he refused to flip, so I had a c-section after going into labor.
Anyway, DH has been CDing Dylan ever since we got home. Today we noticed his belly has a red mark and some skin has been rubbed really hard from his covers. We were using Proraps, but I've switched to my Bummis Whisper Pants since discovering my poor little guy's belly was red. Do you think it's a problem with the covers, or were we putting them on too tight? I seem to remember reading that other people have had the same problem, but I can't remember what to do. He's too skinny for the Bumpy covers I bought, so I'm wondering if I should just order some more Whisper Pants? I also tried a SIWW, but I'm worried that might also hurt his skin.
Any suggestions? TIA!

Momof3Labs
07-20-2003, 09:43 PM
Congratulations on your baby boy!!

One question - is it the velcro that is rubbing his belly, or the cover itself? If it is the cover, try putting it on a bit looser. If it is the velcro, point the tabs downward so that it won't scratch his belly.

egoldber
07-20-2003, 10:13 PM
I have personally found that velcro covers will do that depending on how your baby is shaped. If Proraps irritate him, then Bummis or Bumkins may work better for you.

If you don't need a velcro cover, then something like the Whisper Pant is a great way to go.

HTH,

parkersmama
07-20-2003, 10:36 PM
I've found those red marks mostly when I get the cover on too tight. I often use proraps and find that sometimes to get them tight enough in the legs, they are too tight around the waist. The Bumpys are much better about that and more adjustable. Some snaps covers are better about that too because they have two sets of snaps: one at the waist and one for the legs which allows you to customize the fit. I think the velcro on the Proraps is one of the softer. The Bumkins have really stiff velcro and I find it leaves red marks fairly often.

lizajane
07-21-2003, 05:02 PM
i have not had any trouble with my proraps. i have noticed that they velcro patch has a stiff edge. try making sure that they cover is folded outward a little over the velcro patch. if the cover gets folded a little under by mistake, the velcro patch could scratch him.
hth.
liza