PDA

View Full Version : Anyone switch to cloth with a toddler?

toomanystrollers
07-22-2003, 07:11 AM
Our 3 wk.old dd's diaper package from naturalbabies should be on the way and I'm curious if I should try our 2 yr. old ds in cloth. I figured anything I buy him can go on his little sister later on.

Any insights?
-Pam

egoldber
07-22-2003, 09:37 AM
I switched Sarah at 14 months. She did great, I don't even think she noticed a change. But I wouldn't wait much longer to try it out!

ginalc
07-22-2003, 12:35 PM
DD#1 was CD'd from day 1 (in the hospital) and I CD'd her for most of her baby days until she was fully trained. (she is now almost 13 yrs old)

I DD'd DD#2 because I couldn't really find a "CD system" that worked well when she was a baby. I switched to CD's when DD#2 was almost 2 yrs old. She didn't seem to mind, and it made potty-training MUCH easier! DH was the tough one to switch! :)

DS is now 7 months and we've pretty much CD'd since birth. When things get crazy and when I'm out and about, I use DD's as I find them easier to carry to and from the in-laws, the mall, etc. I leave a decent stash in the van for emergencies.

I'm not an "all-or-nothing" type of gal and I forgive myself for doing things other than how I think they should be done. In a perfect world... I'd do things differently... and my world is far from perfect!!! :)

gina, mom to 3

toomanystrollers
07-22-2003, 01:44 PM
I oftened wondered if cloth diapers help with potty training? My first was disposables all the way and I waited until she was three with no big hassles. I'd like to see if ds will train sooner.

Thanks for the info,
Pam

ginalc
07-22-2003, 02:32 PM
My GF would argue that every child has a "window of opportunity" during which they are easy to train. She didn't start training her DD until she was 3.5 yrs old. At 4 yrs now, they are fully trained. They used those "pull-ups" for months and months. Very expensive.

Within 2 weeks of switching to cloth diapers, my DD seemed very aware of when she was wet and/or poopy. She would say "Uh-oh Mommy, Megan very poopy" or "Ewww, Megan very wet!" I used a potty-chair each night before bathtime and 9/10 evenings there would be fluid in the chair after sitting.

I've read that it takes up to 9 months to fully train a child. Boys are supposed to take longer. According to my Mother, my brothers were easier to train than my sister and I. We all wore cloth as well.

Perhaps it's that CD Moms are more anxious to move away from diaper changes. Perhaps some children don't like the feeling of wetness against their skin and decide to take action themselves.
Whatever the reason, I think CDing my little ones made training easier! :)

gina