PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Rash

blnony
07-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Well, things have been so crazy here, and this last thing has just send me over the edge.
We've been battling a really bad diaper rash for a week now. Its not a yeast rash, we've had those before. We've tried everything, cloth, fleece liners, disposables, triple paste, every kind of diaper cream, Buttpaste, some kind of expensive concotion by our pharmacist, everything, but its gotten so bad, its bleeding!! I've tried neosporin too. I feel horrible. I know Audrey does too. I think I'm calling the Ped. in the morning.
Right now, I am just letting her go buck naked. Totally naked all night. I've decided I'll just get the carpets cleaned, screw it. I don't know what else to do.
I swear everytime my child is sick, my DH is out of town. It never fails.
This is more of just a rant than anything, but I just had to get it out. Its these things make me feel like such a failure as a parent.
:(

Momof3Labs
07-22-2003, 06:50 PM
Poor Audrey and poor Brianna - sending hugs to both of you!!

You are not a failure as a parent. If that's all it took, we'd all be failures. Let us know how it goes at the ped's tomorrow - I'm curious to hear what this turns out to be.

egoldber
07-22-2003, 07:21 PM
I know what you mean about DH's being out of town when the baby is sick! That happens to me all the time....

Sarah once had diarrhea for 10 straight days and the ped said to stop using wipes, not to wipe for just pee diapers and to rinse her off under the faucet for poop ones. He said that wipes could really aggravate the already irritated area.

You may want to let her play in the tub all night. It will keep your carpets cleaner. :) I know how frustrated you must feel. And you are most definitely not a failure!!!

Kate888
07-22-2003, 07:30 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry, Brianna...{{{Big Hugs}}}to Audrey and you!!! Don't be so hard on yourself. I believe it will get resolved soon once you talk to your ped. Try to get some good sleep tonight! You're a GREAT mom to your baby!

Is Audrey teething or could it be related to a certain food? Please keep us updated on how Audrey is doing.

Take care.

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

lizajane
07-22-2003, 08:20 PM
i am so sorry you are having such a hard time! i think naked was a good idea. i am sure it is very frustrating. i remember my brother (10 years younger than me) having terrible diaper rash once, so my mom put a cloth diaper on him by pinning it at the hip without folding it or using a cover etc. so it just hung down in between his legs, it didn't actually touch him anywhere but at the hip. maybe that would help with carpets a little while audrey got more "naked time."

also, a ped told some friends to use milk of magnesia.

good luck.

Calmegja
07-22-2003, 08:29 PM
I've so been there and done that. It can make you feel crazy....

This happened with Josh, my 4th child, was born. He had antibiotics at birth, so he had a nasty rash from those, and we were frantic, because the skin would come off in sheets. It would bleed, it would crust over, it was horrible.

None of my other kids had ever had any rashes, so I was horrified.

Our ped suggested no wipes, just to use a squirt bottle with plain water in it at changes. We were then to blow dry (I'm not kidding) his bottom with a blowdryer, and then take a cotton ball dipped in liquid antacid, and kind of dab/paint that on the rash. We then would blowdry that, and then either have naked time, or add a cornstarch based powder (preferably with some lavendar, which was mildly antibacterial) if putting a dipe on.

I used to cry at the thought of a diaper change because it would take so long, and his bottom was so raw, but after a few days of that regimen, it started to clear up. We then alternated the antacid with a teeny bit of Lotrimin, and it cleared the rash up.

It took a good 2-3 weeks to completely get rid of the rash, and we did, butit wasn't the walk in the park I thought it would be. I thought using creams was the right thing to do, but we were actually just keeping his skin wet to the point where it couldn't heal properly...

Hang in there. It does get better!

kathsmom
07-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Brianna,

It seems that happens to me too. Every time DH is out of town one (or both) of the kids gets sick, can't sleep, etc. Last week, I was the one who got sick and he came home early from Colorado to take care of me.

I think the naked idea is a good one. Let her little bottom air out. My mom told me that she used to just lay a cloth diaper over our butts when we slept and had diaper rash, so that it could air out. I do agree that calling your ped. first thing in the morning would be a good idea. He/she may have something they could prescribe to heal it faster.

You are a great mom! We are all sending big hugs your way to you and Audrey!!

Take care!

blnony
07-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your responses. Its just been one of those WEEKS!!! Audrey is still waking up all night, this rash, and whats even more weird, is tonight in the tub I noticed a rashy patch on her left forearm and her left foot? Something is not right. I will see what the ped says in the morning. Everytime I've have to call with a sick baby they always get me in within an hour or two of the call, so hopefully I can try and resolve this tomorrow.
Its actually looking worse, and I haven't been using wipes for about 3 days now, just washcloths and water. Today I was so desperate, I used my minishower on her....it was hilarious. I haven't tried a blow dryer, but that sounds like a good idea. I think I'll talk to the Dr. about that. I've given up on creams, they are not doing a dang thing, so I've been alternating cornstarch powder and neosporin. I'm just so afraid its going to get infected. Its the worse thing like that I've seen up close. I started crying for her tonight. :( ( I also motrin'ed her up before bed for the teeth and rash..so maybe it'll help!)
Thanks again everyone...you all are so wonderful. It really does mean a lot me to have you all ...:)
I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

em_jon98
07-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Brianna,
I know this isn't much help, but Lindsey always seems to get an ugly, bleeding rash before she gets a new tooth.

The rash on the arm and the foot too, though...poor Audrey and you:(. I hope the ped can help you out :)!

parkersmama
07-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Oh, how awful! Poor baby and poor Mama! Wesley has always gotten those horrible, bleeding rashes and keeping it dry and clean is the only thing that's ever really helped. I think the antacid is a good trick because it's drying. Also, the hairdryer works great! Hope the ped can give you some good advice today and it will be on the mend soon!!

blnony
07-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Wow!! You ladies are so smartttt!
Went to the doctor, and even she was taken aback some. For 24hrs. I have to change her diaper every hour, or let her go naked. She's been waking up two, three or four times a night with this, so I will change her diaper everytime she wakes up. My Ped. said to use cloth, the disposables will chaff more and her skin isn't used to it.
Acidic poop. Thats pretty much it! :D
She recommended eliminating acidic foods like anything citrus or berry, or tomato related. Just for a little while until is has a chance to heal. Audrey has two molars that are just about to break through, the Dr. said all the spit and stuff from that is probably not helping either. Its not uncommon in teething babies.
I told her about the hair dryer and she thought that was a great idea. She also recommended using the liquid antacid and was amazed with the idea of using a blow dryer to dry it on. (She'll probably recommend that to people now!) ALso, use cornstarch powder, no creams. She said creams can be good to prevent a rash, but many times end up prolonging them or making it worse by keeping the area too moist. No wipes, which we were't using any way, I've just been using cloth and water. And antibiotic ointment just once a day, until the sores have at least scabbed over.
Thanks so much for all your kindness everyone....you all are just the greatest (and the smartest!:))

Edited to add: Just to put a one of those stupid warning labels on this post: cold air from the blow dryer and about 8-12 inches away from baby! :) (I just had to add this in case someone thought I was crazy.)

parkersmama
07-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Oh, I'm so glad that the ped was helpful! Sometimes they can be really dense (IMHO!). :-) I forgot to mention earlier that pretty much the only time that Parker got rashes as a baby was teething when getting those back teeth. He had "diarrhea" and a terrible rash once for about 2 weeks that I was losing my mind over. I even made the dr. do a stool sample to rule out anything really awful since the diarrhea wouldn't go away. Nothing turned out to be wrong...just too much drool being swallowed and messing him up. Thankfully it did go away pretty quickly after the teeth broke the skin! On the flip side, we went to the dentist in June for a cleaning and they said, "Did you know he was getting his 6-year molars?" Nope! He had 3 already through and one coming in! Just shows how much less of a big deal they are as they get older. :-)

Calmegja
07-23-2003, 03:06 PM
So glad to know you got help! Let us know how it clears up for you...

Kate888
07-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the update, Brianna :) I'm so glad your ped offered great advise. Hope both of you feel better soon...

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

blnony
07-24-2003, 10:49 AM
SUCCESS!!! YEAH!!!
Well, its just a little rashy and healing nicely!! In 24 hrs! I'm so glad. I wish I could say it helped A. sleep through the night, but no....I guess you can't have everything. :)
Thanks again everyone..I really appreciate your support and tips.