PDA

View Full Version : Ready to dip a toe into the CD pool

nitaghei
07-25-2003, 10:28 AM
Well, this isn't really taking the plunge but . . .

I'm considering CD'g on weekends. Starting Friday night through Sunday. This way, I get the wash done before the week starts (or so I hope! :) ). I change DS every two hours during the day anyway, even with disposables, so CDs shouldn't be a big deal, right?! :)

Please help me get started. I've been researching and following the threads here, but I'm still overwhelmed, and having a tough time making a decision.

Specfic questions:

Would the sampler from naturalbabies.com be enough? Or should I also get a couple of other fitteds/ AIOs? (Fuzzibunz? Something else?)

I do need 2 good night- time dipes. I really don't know if DS is a super-soaker. It's hard to tell when using diposables. There are so many options, I can't figure it out (sort of sad, 25 years of education, and I'm defeated by diapers!)

I prefer white or unbleached - no colors or patterns.

Preferably, nothing too outrageously expensive, since part of the selling point of CDs to DH is economy (though I'm willing to splurge on a couple of nice dipes).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA

Nita

mama2be
07-25-2003, 11:02 AM
I always steer clear of givng advice to Newbies since I am one...and that I never really "sampled"...but wanted to let you know I honestly think that the laundry of the diapers will be of little concern. Keep in mind it is no sorting, folding, looking for a place in drawers for them to go etc...it is just dump...press buttons...dump in dryer press buttons and dump in basket for use...honestly I hate laundry more than anyone and don't even notice CD laundry it is not "laundry" as we know it...

I got second quality Prowrap covers at $3 each in every size...
and bought European PFs with sadly I avoided for 3 months becasue they are so simple and work perfect...
and I cut fleece which leaves him super dry

I honest to god could have doen this on those alone...I sjut didn't know it till recently...

Keep us posted...and welcome tot he group...

nitaghei
07-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Neve,
and congratulations! I'm just beginning to catch up, after being away from the boards for weeks - and finally saw your news!

Nita

mharling
07-25-2003, 12:45 PM
I'm glad I have somebody to learn with!!! :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

egoldber
07-25-2003, 01:45 PM
The sampler from naturalbabies will give you not quite a day's worth of diapers. If I were you, I would start with those and an intro pack from Motherease. (Or try to find used ones.) Use those for a few days and see what you like and don't like. Then order more. You'll save yourself a lot of money in the long run.

HTH,

parkersmama
07-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Although the sampler from Natural Babies is a great deal and a good place to start, keep in mind that it won't be nearly enough diapers for a weekend. It really only works out to be 4 diapers since you'd have to use one of the prefolds to stuff the FuzziBunz if you don't get anything else for it. So you'd have one AIO, one CPF, one fitted, and one pocket dipe (the FB)...and then it'd be wash time! It's a great place to start but if you want to do cloth all weekend you'd pretty quickly need to buy more. The sampler from MotherEase is great, too, but it would only add one more diaper. Amy Grace is younger than Neel and using only a prefold in a FB isn't enough to get her through the night. The best things I've found are JoeyBunz in the FB or a hemp soaker (like those from Mom-and-Me Creations) inside a ME Airflow cover. The diapers are soaked in the morning but no leaks. Good luck and have fun!!

lizajane
07-25-2003, 04:10 PM
as the cheapskate of the bunch, here's my 2 cents.

get 18 prefolds in standard size
get 4 proraps
get 2 fuzzi bunz

you can stuff fuzzi bunz with a prefold. you should have enough for both bunz and 2+ days of diapers. and extras are great for burps!

get fleece remnants at any fabric store, cut them to fit the diapers and then you have super cheap stay-dry liners.

IMHO, that is the cheapest way to be sure you have your weekend covered, with the somewhat expensive FB just because i love them so much!! that way, you can save your $ for one or two really cute fun things, or an AIO or two.

HTH.

welcome to the gang!
liza