PDA

View Full Version : What fabric do you use to make inserts for pocket diapers?

puglucy
07-26-2003, 10:50 AM
I know I read about this here, but can't remember .. . to make your own inserts for HH or FB, do you use fleece? Any particular weight?

Lucy
Mama to Alex 3/18/03

nohomama
07-26-2003, 12:42 PM
I'm wondering if you're thinking of fleece liners that folks make to lay on top of diapers for easier clean-up and to keep baby's bum dry... Definitely different than the doublers or inserts used to stuff a pocket dipe. Those are generally made of several layers of some kind of hemp (fleece or jersey) or some kind of cotton (flannel, terry, or sherpa). Often, one side will be topped with fleece. A regular old CPF will do the job too.

I used to have several bookmarked links to sites that sold diaper making supplies. I'm not able to find any of them at the moment but if you do a Google search on "diaper making supplies" you should come up with a few hits.

As far as fleece liners go, if you're interested in making those I'd suggest using the least expensive, lightest weight fleece you can find. The cheapest fleece will work as well as the more expensive material from Malden Mills and the lighter the weight the more trim the fit. You can either cut the liners out free hand or use a doubler to trace an outline.

HTH,

puglucy
07-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Ohh! i think i *did* have them confused. So the fleece liners go btwn the diaper & the cover? Or inside the diaper??

anyway, I was really asking about inserts -- for that you have to use a CPF or a JB type thing?

also, are Chinese Prefolds the same as the generic "cloth diaper/burpcloths" that you buy by the dozen or half-dozen. I'm guessing it's not the same thing, but wonder if you can use those generic ones as an insert . . .

thank you!

Lucy
mama to Alex 3/18/03

egoldber
07-26-2003, 01:17 PM
You can use the ones available at places like Target and BRU. I have a bunch of these from when Sarah was little, but they are nowhere near as soft or as absorbant. They also don't come in all the different sizes that the CPFs you order on-line do. "Real" CPFs are relatively cheap and well worth the price.

FYI, I have a lot of fleece fabric from various sewing projects over the years. I just used what I had to make liners. In some cases, the fleece was thin and in some case it wasn't. I have found that over time, even the thickest fleece has become quite thin and very satisfactory as a liner.

HTH,

puglucy
07-26-2003, 02:57 PM
So you used Chinese pre-folds for inserts in pocket diapers, & fleece for liners? and where exactly do you put the fleece liners? Do you use liners w/pocket diapers?

many thanks!

Lucy
Mama to Alex 3/18/03

Melaniee
07-26-2003, 05:55 PM
I have been told that HEMP FLEECE is the best material to stuff a pocket diaper with b/c you get the most absorbancy for your layers. You could also use a prefold to stuff a diaper. I know someone who used the infant prefolds from when their baby was smaller to stuff their fuzzi bunz. I think they may double them up though. for pocket diapers, I use contour hemp fleece stuffers from www.smjae.com but they are available elsewhere...I think I have one babykicks hemparoo (sorry, no link I don't know where you get them) and one Lambkins contour as well. You can pretty much stuff them with anything cotton or hemp. For my toddler, I use 2 3-ply hemp fleece stuffers(or doublers).

A pocket diaper is usually (or always?) made of microfleece on the interior, so the only reason to add an additional layer of microfleece would be to prevent staining the diaper, I guess? You really don't need to add anything if you don't want to. Anyway, I only used homemade microfleece liners on diapers which do not already have their own microfleece as the top layer because when we first CDed my son would get an instant rash otherwise. Now I can use a hemp diaper without lining in microfleece and he does not get rashy. I am starting to do this more so he'll "feel" wet and perhaps get interested in using the potty (nope, not working yet).

HTH