PDA

View Full Version : Needing help with a "stash"

todzwife
07-26-2003, 03:14 PM
I really want to try CDing when Dallin comes in October, and I already have some CD's that I collected before we moved, but DH thinks I am going to chicken out and that the whole house is going to smell awful and doesn't want me investing more $. I know I have enough diapers, but I am not sure about covers...Here's what I have, and any imput would be great!
6 Preemie UBCPF (I figured these would work as a doubler if he doesn't fit in them)
20 Infant CPF (a combo of bleached and unbleached, although I definately like the way the unbleached feels after they are washed better than the bleached)
1 size 0 kissaluv
3 kissaluv contour
1 lukes hug
1 Little lambs AIO
COVERS:
1 NB Bumkin (not my favorite, but if it works, I will use it)
1 NB Bummis
1 NB prorap
1 SM Rikki
Do I need more? The only covers I can justify getting at this point (before I try stuff) would be a couple of prorap seconds. And you can probably tell, I am going to be using CPF most of the time simply because they are the most affordable option. I *plan* to do laundry every when I run out of dipes, and he will wear sposies while they wash.
I have some other stuff in larger sizes too. I am totally into this CDing thing, although I haven't told my mother yet, she will think I am crazy. MIL thinks it's great (since she Cded all 3 of her kids because that was all they had back then). My mom NEVER used CD's because I was the first and born in 81 and they had disposables by then, so she really doesn't know, and I can't ask her for her opinions on the subject. Like I have said before (and like so many others) I wouldn't even have dreamed about doing this without all of you nuts! LOL! Thanks in advance!
Shandelle ;)

Melaniee
07-26-2003, 05:39 PM
I can't help b/c I didn't CD a newborn, but I wanted to say that the smell was MUCH worse with disposables. Perhaps b/c I wash more often than the diaper champ was emptied? I don't know...anyway Congratulations!

lizajane
07-26-2003, 07:57 PM
i'd get a few more prorap seconds. newborns poop poop poop and it gets all over the covers. but don't get too frustrated! the poop slows way down at 8weeks ish and then it is a lot easier!!! so i would start out with at least 6 covers, 8 may be better, and then get 4-6 when you get to the medium size. (so 6-8 newborns, 6-8 smalls, then 4-6 mediums, etc.) BUT if you are expecting a big baby (mine was 9 91/2) you won't need newborns for long!! DS only fit in them for 2-3 weeks.

hth.
liza

mommyj
07-26-2003, 09:19 PM
I would also recommend getting a few more NB covers. I'm CDing my newborn right now, and it's nice to have plenty of covers on hand in the early days. A few proraps seconds would be nice. You might also want to try some nylon pants, such as the Whisper Pants. My baby's skin is so sensitive, these were the only covers that didn't make his skin turn red at first. They work great with Snappied PFs.
If you plan to start CDing right away, you might also want a few more Kissaluvs. It's really hard to put PFs on a newborn when his/her legs are still curled up, so the Kissaluvs are nice to have in the first 2 weeks. They're also convenient for changes later as well. I really like the trim fit of the PFs, but the Kissaluvs are nice for middle of the night changes.
CDing is a lot of fun. I would say buy what you want, since you can always sell what doesn't work. I would also recommend getting a pail liner (either a Bummis liner or one from Happytushies.com), because they make washing really simple. You can just dump all the diapers in the washing machine and then throw the liner in with them.

todzwife
07-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Thank you for the great ideas. I am going to try to budget a few more covers in. I probably won't be CDing for the first few weeks because my mom will be here and I don't even want her to know I am THINKING about it until I know what I am doing and can defend my decision. I am not expecting a large baby (heaven help my little body if he is a bruiser)but who knows. I got a waterproof liner from a camping store...would that work? I might just end up using a plastic garbage bag for a while if it doesn't. I want to get 6 more kissaluvs. smartiepantsdiapers has a good deal 6/51.50 and flat rate shipping. Again...the budget issue arises. Thank you so much for your ideas!
Shandelle ;)

egoldber
07-26-2003, 10:10 PM
You will need more covers, but I would wait until you use the ones you have for a bit. You will develop preferences very quickly.

Also, if you aren't going to CD until after your mother leaves (weeks did you say?), you may find that your little one has outgrown the newborn size covers by then. So I wouldn't buy any more now.

And I would use a "real" pail liner. I have heard of mixed result with other liners. It's worth a few $$ to get something you know will work.

HTH,

parkersmama
07-28-2003, 02:18 PM
I agree with Beth on the covers. If you wait a few weeks to begin using CDs, you should just skip the newborn covers and go with the smalls. A cover that's a little big isn't a big deal, really. Especially with proraps since the velcro makes them very adjustable. I have several proraps 2nds and they work great...no quality issues that I can tell and for $3 a pop you can't beat the price!

bubblegum
07-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Have you checked the kissaluvs outlet? Right now they have size 0 seconds for $40/half dozen. Definitely better on the budget!
Brannon :)

todzwife
07-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Where's the kissaluv's outlet??? Thanks!

liya
07-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Correction Prorap Seconds are now $4.00 a pop//

liya
07-28-2003, 07:44 PM
http://www.kissaluvs.com/outlet.htm

todzwife
07-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Thanks!

parkersmama
07-29-2003, 01:32 PM
How dare they go up! LOL!! ;-)