PDA

View Full Version : specifically, GERBER cd questions...

naomic3
07-28-2003, 11:22 PM
Hi!

I'm expecting my first in less than a month and am determined to try cd's. To this point, I registered for all sorts of diapers at Babies R Us and Target because, well, those were the only ones I saw. I registerd by size, but now find that these are actually different TYPES. Since I have six dozen, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure which ones to keep and which to return. After searching the posts, I realize that Gerber isn't the #1 recommended brand in this forum, but hey, we're on a budget and these were free...

This is what we have:

1) Gerber Prefold Heavyweight Gauze Weave. 21" x 14" and on the package, there is an oval that says "diaper service" and a sticker that reads "Diapering Stage A Pre-Potty Training." Came in package of 6.

2) Gerber Flatfold Birdseye Weave. 27" x27". Also has the "Diapering Stage..." sticker. Came in package of 12.

3) Gerber Prefold Birdseye Weave. 20" x 14.5". Also has the "Diapering Stage" sticker only. Came in package of 6.

I just planned on using these with velcro-closure wraps, the occasional diaper doubler (as needed) and flushable liners from www.bareware.net: is this a viable option?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated--thanks in advance!
--Naomi

parkersmama
07-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Well, my first choice would be to return them all and get Chinese Prefolds (CPFs). Even though you are on a budget and these are a little more expensive, the headaches you will save yourself are enormous! You're sure to have fewer leaks and problems using true CPFs than the Gerbers. I have some of both (bought the Gerbers originally for burpcloths) and you can really tell a difference by looking and feeling. The CPFs are a tighter weave that you can barely see where the threads of the Gerbers are easily visible. This is a case similar to bedsheets...the higher (and less visible) the threadcount, the better the diaper. At www.naturalbabies.com you can get a package of 36 infant CPFs and 6 Prorap velcro covers for $89. She has a flat $3.95 shipping rate and orders over $150 ship free. The Proraps are a good basic cover, especially on a budget.

Now, addressing the diapers you already have:
1) I believe that the guaze weave is the most open-weave...is that right? These won't be very absorbant but at least they are prefolds so the folding to fit your baby will be easy.
2) You will proably not like flatfold diapers. These are nothing like the diapers you are probably envisioning using. If you took them out of the package you'd see that they are really just a very large piece of diaper cloth, one thin layer. You have to learn how to fold them properly to make them fit and have the absorbancy in the right place. I don't know anyone who uses this kind and really have no idea why they even sell them anymore since, IMO, they are pretty much useless even as dustrags!! LOL!
3) These are probably the best of the ones you have. The birdseye weave should be tighter and therefore, they'd be more absorbant. They are already folded and stitched (prefold) and would be easy to use but still no where close to the absorbancy of a CPF.

The absorbancy may not seem very important right now but it will make the difference between changing every 2 hours and changing with every pee. The time and laundry you will save alone should make up for the cost! Hopefully you'll get some more advice here and someone else will know a little more about the types of diapers that you already have since I'm not totally up on the terms for the Gerbers! Good luck and let us know what you decide!

lizajane
07-29-2003, 08:41 AM
i really don't want to rain on your parade!! unfortunately, i have to agree that returning the gerbers and getting something else useful off your registry instead would be the best idea. naturalbabies is a great site and has good prices on chinese prefolds. you can get proraps seconds for even cheaper, but someone else will have to advise on the phone number to call because i don't have it.

i did use gerber prefolds for a few weeks. you can use them, but honestly, not for long. they started leaking through pretty quickly as DS got bigger and had wetter diapers. (i think i used them until he was about 2 months or younger before i went to CPF full time.)

you may want to use disposables for the first week until you get past all the meconium. it's nasty stuff! :)

HTH!

liza

bubblegum
07-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi, I just wanted to suggest ebay if you think about returning your Gerbers and getting CPFs. I got 3 dozen new CPFs for about 1/2 of retail price, I think about $24 plus shipping. Just a thought!
Brannon :)

egoldber
07-29-2003, 10:05 AM
I have to agree with everyone else. You are MUCH better off with CPFs ordered on-line. And I agree that eBay is a great source. Just watch out for shipping charges, because shipping on prefolds is very expensive.

I have several of the Gerber prefolds that I used as burp cloths and I did like them for that. But for diapering, they weren't so great and I did try some of the ones that I had.

HTH,