PDA

View Full Version : question about preventing stains/stain removal

mommyj
08-03-2003, 11:15 PM
There's probably been a post about this, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Do those of you who use Zout (or other stain removal) use it with every wash, or do you let your dipes get stained and then use it? This is probably a totally stupid question, so sorry! I've been using Zout with every wash but I'm wondering if it's necessary.
My wash routine so far has been to run a cold rinse/spin,spray Zout on the dipes & liners with stains, run a hot wash, and then run another cold rinse/spin to wash out the Zout and detergent. Is this a good long-term routine?
TIA!

Momof3Labs
08-04-2003, 08:19 AM
Have you thought about spraying the Zout on the stained diapers before putting them in the diaper bucket? I would think that letting the Zout soak on them would give better results.

Personally, I do nothing like this and have no stained diapers. We shake loose poop into the toilet (Colin eats solids now), and if the diaper is still pretty poopy, we put it in a bucket of cold water to soak until laundry day. Otherwise it goes into a dry pail. I do two washes, the first with some detergent and the second with none, then into the dryer. I either do a hot or cold wash for the first one, and always a hot one for the second one.

mommyj
08-04-2003, 02:25 PM
I forgot to mention I rinse out the poopy liners/dipes in the toilet before putting them in the pail. I actually haven't had any stains even though I wait to spray the Zout. I would prefer not to use so much Zout.
DS poos all the time, so I couldn't really soak his poopy dipes unless I switched to a wet pail. He basically poos all the time, so there's poo almost every time I change his diaper.
Anyway, thanks for sharing your system and for your suggestions.

anguschick1
08-07-2003, 01:42 PM
FYI, Don't spray w/Zout if you aren't going to wash right away. I thought I was so good about spraying the dipes w/stains as I put them in the pail, but it ended up staining. So now I have big pink stains on almost all of my CPF's and hemp liners. I keep the Zout w/all my laundry supplies and as I empty the pail into the washer, I spray everything that needs it.

HTH,

Em

Kate888
08-07-2003, 02:37 PM
I have a routine similar to Lori's. For really poopy diapers, I soak them in a bucket of cold water in the laundry room (in the utility sink). I dump the dirty water and add fresh water when another poopy diaper is added in. Then on wash day I just wash them with other dipes. First a cold soak with 1 cup baking soda and a little detergent, then a hot wash with detergent and tea tree oil with 2 rince cycles.

HTH :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

mommyj
08-07-2003, 03:18 PM
So...here's an update on my new system. I stopped using Zout and switched my whole washing system. I use a mini-shower to spray the poo off & then just throw the liners/dipes into the dry pail. Then, instead of doing a pre and post rinse, I do one wash on cold with detergent and one wash on hot without detergent. I don't have any stains so far, which is amazing as much as ds poos every day.