PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Bummis...

nohomama
08-04-2003, 08:15 AM
I've got a SIWW that just reaks of urine after its been worn once. It's been striped with my dipes a few times so I don't think it's detergetn build-up. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution. I have it soaking in vinegar right now for lack of anything better to do. This is Dan's favorite cover and the one he reaches for first when he changes Lola, so I'm loathe to get rid of it. I could replace it but I'm really trying to stiffle the purchase new CD stuff (I've been only moderately successful) because Lola's been taking a real interest in the toilet lately. I'm not fool enough to think she'll be toilet trained tomorrow, next week, or even next month but I do know that my "return" on any CD investment I make now will be minimal

Momof3Labs
08-04-2003, 08:23 AM
I thought that vinegar makes covers stinky. Gonna go try to look this up somewhere...

Edited to add: I can't access the search feature at MDC right now (have to sign up for access to it) so I can't find the post. I'll let you know if I do find something.

Kate888
08-04-2003, 09:25 AM
I thought so, too...(but not sure). Maybe try sunning it a bit? Don't put it under the bright sun outside, but put it indoors, like a southern exposure window. Let us know how it goes. Good luck! :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

nohomama
08-04-2003, 12:24 PM
I did a search of the MDC diapering board. Apparently, vinegar will damage the waterproofing on a cover because it's acidic, but I didn't find anything that implied that it caused stink to occur. I didn't look too hard though.

Until recently when I discovered the Calgon trick, I always stripped my dipes with vinegar and baking soda. Like I said, I periodically strip my covers along with my dipes, so all my covers have gotten a hearty dose of vinegar but this is the only one I have a problem with.

Since vinegar is a no-no, I guess I'll try baking soda next. My problem seems to be that I've found a number of short term solutions - stripping, sunning, soaking - but though the cover intitially smells better, I'll put it on Lola once and we wind up right back in stinkville. I went and pulled the cover out of the vinegar soak when I read your post Lori but I gotta say, it does smell better. A little like a pickle but that's far and away better than urine. The question is, will it last???

egoldber
08-04-2003, 08:37 PM
The vinegar wearing out PUL thing seems to be an urban legend. At some point, someone on Mothering actually contacted the manufacturer of PUL and they said that vinegar was fine.

HTH,