PDA

View Full Version : Question About Newborn Diaper Package!

ChrisH2
08-06-2003, 10:01 AM
Hello,

I ordered 3 dz. Infant sized CPFD from Katieskisses.com and 8 newborn size Bumkins diaper covers.

I received a message from the company that the size of the diaper covers I ordered may be too small for the CPFD size (infant), and that the CPFD's the moms use for the newborn covers are the premie size CPFD's. The rep from the company told me the moms usually skip the newborn diaper cover size and go directly to the infant size.

My question is, will the infant sized diaper covers be too big for my baby? I'm expecting a normal sized baby (prob. 6-7 lbs.), and I'm very confused!!

OR...should I keep a couple of the newborn sized diaper covers and get the infant size as well?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
Chris H. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mommyj
08-06-2003, 06:37 PM
I've never tried Bumkins covers, but I am currently CDing my newborn, so I'll answer the best I can. DS was 6 lbs 12 oz when he was born and he's been in newborn covers for the past 3 weeks. The small covers were huge on him at first. If you're planning to start CDing right away, I would recommend having 5-7 newborn covers (if you're going to snappi, 5 would probably be enough, depending on how often you wash your dipes).
You could always order the Bumkins in small and then buy some Proraps seconds for the newborn stage. They're really nice to have before your baby's umbilical cord falls off, since they have a little dip for the cord. They were the only covers I used at first aside from Bummis Whisper Pants. I think I remember reading somewhere that Bumkins aren't the best covers for newborns because they don't have gussets in the legs like Proraps.
One other thing to think about is the return policy of the place where you order your CDs. If you order all the same kind of cover, it's a good idea to try one or two out before washing all of them, just in case they don't work out and you want to return them. I ended up having several covers that didn't work well for my ds but I ordered them too far in advance and couldn't return them. That's another reason to hold off on ordering the smalls.
Everyone has different opinions on buying covers (how many, what kind, etc). Based on my experience, I would recommend buying a few different kinds of covers so you can get a sense of what you like before ordering a bunch. I bought 7 NB proraps seconds ($4/each) and then had a few other kinds of covers to try.

Rhonda36
08-06-2003, 07:01 PM
I had 6 prowrap newborn covers because of the umbilical cord dip, and it seemed like plenty. I also had 4 bummis sww, which all together was overkill with the proraps.

I did get size small covers, and he's outgrowing them already, so don't go overboard at first. I've just ordered all new covers in size medium, which will have a much longer shelf-life.

My only other advice is to not buy too much before your darling gets here. I wanted to have everything "all set", and probably ended up buying things I didn't need and didn't buy enough other stuff (like CPFs, etc.)

Good luck -- here's to a smooth delivery!

Rhonda
mom to Spencer, 5/17/03

C99
08-06-2003, 09:22 PM
I haven't tried the Bumkins in NB, but I did have one in size small. It worked well over my infant CPFs, but Nate only started wearing it at about 3 months or so. I think it owuld have been huge on him as a newborn. I'd suggest getting 4 in NB and 4 in small.