PDA

View Full Version : Darm it-we have a red sore bum!!!!

mama2be
08-07-2003, 07:15 PM
I have no idea what has changed but T's butt is red!!! He whined while I applied the Aquaphor...it obviously hurts. Nothing has changed, or atleast nothing touching his skin has changed!!!

todzwife
08-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Aww that's too bad. Little boys are harder to air out than little girls are too. (the whole shower factor :)) But that's my only advice, some air. Maybe lay him on a waterproof mat and cover his little peeper with a cloth diaper for a few minutes. Air was a lifesaver with my neice when she had a bleeding rash. Hope it gets better soon. I know how hard it is to see little bums red.

liya
08-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Can it be that hes begining to react to the detergent??? Some babies change...for instance Arian was totally intolerant to fleece and now he isnt....Are you still using fleece?? Did you try taking it out??? and then cheking...He could be reacting also....

Humm what else...Are you sure theres no buildup in your diapers....My hemp was begining to give Arian a rash and it has lots of hidden suds in there...I guess Beth was right it might be that since it absorbs more then the buildup just accumulates more in hemp than cotton....

Also did the Aquaphor agravate the situation??? I cant put any Aquaphor on Arian cause things get worse....

And last but not least...Did you notice this rash after a poop?? Could it be something he ate or drank???

Theres just so many things it could be i guess try em all one by one and see...

Marisa6826
08-07-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi Neve!

I usually just lurk here in the dipes forum...but just thought I would throw this out here as an idea.

I tried Aquaphor on me and it stung for some reason. I was really surprised to have that reaction to it. Have you tried Triple Paste on Tristan??

Hope he (and his little bottom) feels better soon! :)

Edited to say you can also try Maalox.

-m

parkersmama
08-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Do you think it might be the heat? It has been so scorching around here and I accidently left a wet dipe on Amy Grace today longer than normal. When I took it off I noticed that she seemed red. Not really a rash but it was obviously a little sore. Maybe the airing out will help and make sure to change frequently...maybe even more than you normally would. This heat is a killer!

Melanie
08-07-2003, 11:03 PM
I 2nd the triple paste, and has he had any new solids?

mommyj
08-07-2003, 11:21 PM
I tried aquaphor on Dylan and it didn't help. I've had really good luck using Lansinoh, though. I hope Tristan's skin is doing better now. Dylan's butt was red 2 days ago, but we used Lansinoh and let him hang in out a pf with no cover for several hours, and that did the trick.

IGNORE THE 1ST PART OF MY POST! DS has turned red again. Poor little guy. I'm wondering if it's the fleece liners...or maybe I need to strip them already. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you to ignore any advice I may have offered because I don't think the Lansinoh is doing the trick in the long-run. Who knows...

Melanie
08-08-2003, 02:18 PM
You, the more I think about our terrible rash problems, our ped. said to use aquaphor OVER a rash cream to keep the rash cream on.

mama2be
08-08-2003, 05:05 PM
HMMMM...you all got mind a thinkin'...

He had peaches in a jar yesterday...and never has jar food...
He also wore a fleece lined doubler that was thrown in with one of my orders, though he sport fleece I've cut he's never sported this fleece...

Still red today but we are watching it carefully!!!
His little whine broke my heart!!!!

gravymommy3
08-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Neve,

Also, sometimes if they are teething, rashes will just happen. Try the triple paste or anything with zinc oxide that is safe for CDs. I think Burt's Bees is ok. We have been battling rashed for forever it seems. Hope he is clearer soon!

liya
08-08-2003, 07:17 PM
wow amy your back...havent seen you post in a long time...lol...i missed ya already!!! Is Hayden still with her rashes??? oh no thats not good....

mama2be
08-08-2003, 09:04 PM
I missed you too...!!!! thank you...i forgot about teething rash. i thought his "pacific islander" skin my get me out of rashes...dwats!!!

parkersmama
08-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Where in the heck have you been?!? Missed you (and Hayden's smiling face!!) around here...glad you're back! ;-)

gravymommy3
08-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Sorry I've been AWOL - trying to get Grayson ready for school. Not quite sure what happened to my avitar. Sarah was hosting it for me - bummer!! Hayden still has off and (mostly) on rashes. Avery passed the quarter (I missed it but had another x-ray done to confirm), and his chin is healing slowly.

Neve, is the rash any better? I bought some stuff called Rash Be Gone online and it seems to help Hayden.

mama2be
08-09-2003, 10:24 AM
well I missed the quarter thing...was that public knowledge or actually even a suprise to you...
when I worked in the hospital it was amazing at what you'd see passed, or crammd into every little hole that a child had...ear, nose...

I had a sample of Burt's Bee's diaper oint and used it and it is better...but we are only using his cloth wipes on him right now becasue he whined witht he disposable ones on his bum...
maybe the chemicals in them stung more...

How is Hayden's...I'll look into that stuff if it does not get better.

In all of the notes I took pre T everyone said Bordeuax's butt creme and Triple Paste too...

gravymommy3
08-09-2003, 01:07 PM
When we were at the beach, Avery swallowed a coin. We thought it was a nickel, but the x-ray revealed a quarter. The x-ray was Monday and then next day he fell off his scooter car and busted his chin and had to have 4 stitches. All boy!!

mama2be
08-09-2003, 01:40 PM
So sory to hear aobut all of that...poor little guy...and mommy too!!!! Soemthing tells me you hurt over it more than he does...

I have no doubt that I'll spend many an evening hanging out in an ER with Tristan...he clobbers himself with his toys, pulls all of the sheets over his head...daddy is already picking him out fast 'cool" scooters...OH NO!!!!!!

I spoke to soon aobut his diaper rash...it is now bleeding...the cloth wipes though make it where he does not whimper when being cleaned...I don't like this diaper rash stuff...I never really even gave diaper rash any thought...till now...

blnony
08-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Neve-
Here is a link when Audrey had a bad bleeding rash. All this stuff helped a lot.
Hope T's feeling better.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID52/730.html

KathyO
08-09-2003, 03:38 PM
You're probably way ahead of me on this one, but when DD had her one major rash, I tried every ointment recommended, and had little luck because it turned out to be a yeast rash - bright red, scaly, made up of smaller lesions massed together, with sharply defined edges and red "satellite" dots in the surrounding areas. An antifungal cream cleared it up like magic. Also line-dried the diapers in the sun to discourage the yeast organisms. Don't know what Tristan's rash looks like, but thought I'd throw that in just in case.

Good luck,

Kate

mom2kandj
08-09-2003, 06:28 PM
If you do use an antifungal such as Lotrimin, don't stop taking it when the rash clears! Make sure to keep applying for 3-4 days after the rash to make sure all the yeasties are gone! We stopped applying the lotrimin and three days later the yeast came back in the middle of the night! BOTH KIDS SCREAMING IN PAIN! We stopped using any creams and used water only then air dried their bottoms after poops only. If they had pee, just air! They also ran around naked all morning! By the afternoon when we had a sick baby visit, the were not screaming with a diaper change, but still were yeasty. Our ped had put us on Nystatin and hydrocortisone 3x per day for 7-14 days and we've seen a tremendous improvement in just 24 hours. No desitin, no wipes for pee, and lots of air! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (32 months)
& Jack (16 months)