PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out! Couple questions :)

erzzie
08-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Hello! I haven't posted until now, because I've been combing the archives and up to this point, thought I knew what I wanted to try out for my daughter. She's 3 months old, but she's really big for her age. Her waist is 18in, rise is 16in and thighs are 10in. She weighs almost 16lbs! She is growing SO fast, so I don't think it's going to be very economical if I don't stick primarily to "one-size" diapers. Also trying to spend the big $ on cute covers instead of cute diaper prints.

Here's what I bought to try out:

Diapers:
1 Tiny Tush One Size in cotton fleece
1 Zippidy's One Size
1 Snugglebottoms in size Large (goes to 26lbs or so, but was cheap enough to replace later)
1 Sugar Peas size 2 (really worried it's going to be huge)
1 Baby Pink Fuzzibunz with 2 medium Joeybunz

I also made a few microfleece liners in a really sweet baby pink microfleece from Joanns :)

Covers:
2 Especially for Baby nylon pull up pants from BRU (plain, clearish color)
1 custom made Hunnybuns PUL side snap cover (in a beautiful pink floral)
1 custom made cotton over PUL velcro cover from Harleyz Diapez (in crazy hearts with lime background--really cute)

Wipes:
24 wipes from DarlingDiapers.com (these look SOOOO cute!)

Here's what I'm considering buying:

1 OSW from Luke's Drawers--any opinions? I'd just get one or two to have a couple with cute prints
1 PUL cover with print from Lucy's Hope Chest with this pattern: http://www.lucyshopechest.com/fpdb/images/minifloral.jpg
1 dozen UBCPF in regular size for extras
1 pkg snappi fasteners
1 or 2 wool nightime covers if the Fuzzibunz don't work out (I'd use with the Tiny Tush diapers)

Also considering the Mini Shower...anyone use it? Like it? Necessary/useful?

Here's my questions:

The Tiny Tush diaper came... It's cute, soooo soft though I know the fuzz won't last, very absorbant, and fits fine. A little bulky but I expected that. Are snapped diapers durable? I am scared they'll pull out of the fabric. I haven't seen anything negative about this brand, but just the style in general worries me (though I'd rather skip velcro if possible)

The Fuzzibunz is here. It's a size medium and only fits DD on the loosest thigh and 2nd loosest waist setting. Do you think we could get by with a large instead? I'd rather not re-buy in a month or two.

The snugglebottoms is here. The thighs are huge, but it may shrink in the wash so we'll see... Not altogether impressed on the cute scale though it looks functional. They have no elastic in the back/top so I'm worried about poop blowouts up the back. Anyone use these?

Thanks for any advice!!!!!
Melinda

anguschick1
08-08-2003, 02:34 PM
My son is almost 3 months as well, and I'm still playing around before I settle on my final stash, so I can't really comment on your purchases. I bought the mini-shower thinking that I would be rinsing my dipes before I put them in the diaper pail but.....I went down in the basement storage room the day after DH installed it and it was a disaster area! It didn't form a tight seal on my toilet supply line and there were puddles on top of my storage containers and we had to throw the carpet out in the storage room, it was so wet and gross.

So, I don't use it, but if you want to try it out, I'd be happy to send it to you. I use the "dry pail" method and don't have any stains other than from my overzealous, pre-emptive zout usage.

HTH,

Em

liya
08-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Wow i havent used anything you have anyhing at all except the FBs...and if your at the loosest setting maybe you could get a used large size to see if it fits better...Weird about it fitting in the loosest setting on the tighs cause Arian has .5 in less in thighs and the mediums fit him on the tightest setting of the thighs...

Did you try the ME OS diapers or ME SANDYS LARGE...Since your going to go all OS maybe you should also give those a try.....and the ME sandys large will be the last size you would have to buy so if shes already at that size then it would work also....

Snaps...i havent had a problem yet and prefer them to aplix....Aplix hurt my bubbas tummy cause of his little chub roll and also he started taking it off....so im not really fond of it but i know many ppl are...

CPFs regular is exactly the size you would need...Have you actually considered other covers like Proraps for the poop blowouts....I know they arent as cute but they are completely functional, i personaly preffer Bumpys...but thats just personal prefference...I personaly think a diaper should have elastic on top to prevent those BM blow outs through the back and thighs...

I know some of the other ladys in this board will offer more help... welcome on board ;)

Kate888
08-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Hi Melinda, nice to have you here :) About the FBs, I've heard that the large is a lot larger than the medium, so some babies don't fit well in both of them. There is a "petit toddler", but it usually fits skinny babies better. If your baby has chubby thighs and you'd like to try pocket diaper, Happy Heiny's is a good choice (with front aplix closure).

You may need more than 24 wipes though if you're using cloth wipes full time. Most people need 36-48 wipes. I love Darling Diapers wipes!

Sorry I never tried The Tiny Tush and the Snugglebottoms. Please share the reviews with us :)

HTH :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

Momof3Labs
08-08-2003, 03:01 PM
The one thing that I will add is that the Sugar Peas size 2 will be huge on your baby. Colin has similar measurements (plus a couple of pounds) and still fits in Sugar Peas size 1 dipes with several snap settings to go. And SP size 2 dipes are bulky when you are in the stage where you have to fold down the front to get the right fit.

Have you tried a bikini cut Cuddlebuns? You might like those. Liz's Cloth is another option - your DD will fit in the size 2 LC soon.

Kate888
08-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Ditto. Maya is about 22 lbs at 17 months and the SP size 2 is still way too big on her.

Bikini cut Cuddlebuns are one of my favorite. They're really great diapers, very trim, absorbant and soft :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

mommyj
08-08-2003, 03:30 PM
I just got the mini-shower a few days ago. Both dh and I are loving it so far. It makes getting the poo off the liners much easier, and it definitely beats dunking them in the toilet. It looks like nothing in the box (when I 1st saw it I was mad I'd spent the money on it), but after dh hooked it up, I was really glad I'd bought one. My baby poos all the time, so it's getting a lot of use.