PDA

View Full Version : Need CD-ing help! Looking for a fitted diaper for my big DD

emmasmama
08-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Hi! This is actually the first time I've posted in this forum, despite using the archives to come up with some diapers to buy before DD was born. She is now 11 weeks old and we've been CD-ing since week 3.

This is what I originally bought:

1) newborn basic pkg from naturalbabies.com - 3 doz unbleached 4x8x4 CPF's, 6 prowrap covers

2) motherease pkg - 13 Sandy's sz Sm, 3 ME Airflow covers

3) fuzzibunz pkg from naturalbabies.com - 6 fuzzibunz sz Med, 6 joeybunz

She weighed 7 lbs, 8 oz at birth. By week 3 we were using CPF's and Sm prowraps exclusively, no snappi, and changing her constantly - this worked great. At about week 8, the prowraps were too tight so I stopped using them (she weighs over 12lbs now) and I feel like the CPF's also seemed really tight on her (I started having to double them & snappi because otherwise she is absolutely soaked after 2 hrs - use w/ ME airflow cover). So, I basically stopped using the CPF's too except in a pinch.

I started using the sm Sandy's at about week 6 intermittently at tightest snap and now use them exclusively during the day (but on looser snap). I started using the Med fuzzibunz at night (stuffed with a folded CPF and a Joeybunz) about the same time on the tightest snap and now am about two snaps over.

I guess maybe she is growing really fast because I didn't expect to be in these diapers so early or to have her getting smaller in them so soon!

So, I now have only 13 diapers to diaper her in during the day and I save the fuzzibunz for night when she really soaks her diapers (she goes through 2 a night). The fuzzibunz are working out great, but I feel like I am doing wash constantly to keep up with the Sandy's!

I'm not sure whether I should buy more Sandy's in the same size (which I really like, although they're not superabsorbent on her), or try for the ME One-size diaper? The Sandy's large would be too big. Or if I should try another diaper entirely? I prefer fitted, although have not tried an AIO. I love the ME airflow covers and 3 seems sufficient for now, so that's not an issue.

Would love to have some suggestions on other fitteds that might work for me from those with more experience! I'm trying to keep it simple and under control so DH won't have a fit, so don't tempt me too much with all the great WAHM diapers ;)!

Laurie
mom to Emma 5/25/03

Momof3Labs
08-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Laurie, we all have our favorites, but it would help if you can give us Emma's measurements - waist, thigh and rise (belly button, down through the crotch, to top of the diaper in back - take this measurement OVER one of her Sandies). Then someone with a baby who has a similar shape can offer their advice to you.

egoldber
08-09-2003, 09:48 AM
If you like the Sandies why not order more? As she gets older, you may need to add a doubler to them. My favorite doublers are the hemp JoeyBunz.

Also, you are probably ready for the next size up prefold. You could go right to premium 4x8x4 (dark blue stitching) and deal with the bulk for awhile, or you could get the regular size (4x6x4, white stitching).

To be most cost effective, you might want to get a dozen prefold in the next size and see if that is enough to "round" out your fitted stash. I like to have half prefolds and half fitteds. My current stash is 12 toddler size CPFs and 9 hemp fitteds and that works really well for me.

HTH,

emmasmama
08-09-2003, 11:39 AM
ok,, i took her measurements... i'm not sure how exact this is, but basically:

waist: 16" (took this at the level of her belly button)
thigh: 8" (this is kind of mid-thigh bec the diaper was in the way, so it may be closer to 8 1/2" if i was a little higher up)
rise: 16" (i went from her belly button to about the same spot in her back - her diaper actually sits down below her belly button in the Sandy's, but at belly button in the fuzzibunz)

emmasmama
08-09-2003, 11:52 AM
Beth, I guess I was worried that she might not be in them for a long time if I got more Sandy's in the same size. I guess I'm not clear on how fast I can really expect her to grow now that she's had her initial growth spurts - or does it vary greatly from baby to baby?

Maybe I'm confused about the prefolds - I thought I had the 4x8x4, but they just seemed too tight going around her. Is it only because I'm doubling them? If I got the premium the dimensions are still the same, but I'm guessing that they are thicker and that is the difference? Is it something about the way I'm folding them? I've been doing the newspaper fold, but maybe I'm not doing it right and it's making the diaper seem too small?

I also love the Hemp Joeybunz! Do you find that the hemp fitteds you have are much more absorbent than something like the Sandy's? I could use a doubler - I just thought it would be nice to find a diaper that might be a little more absorbent if I was going to buy more anyway.

Sorry for so many questions - I guess I'm still a newbie at this...

Thanks for your help!

Laurie
mom to Emma 5/25/03

emmasmama
08-09-2003, 12:02 PM
I feel like such a dummy... I just looked at the naturalbabies site and realized that the dimensions are there at the bottom of each description... I must have missed it before. Clearly the premiums are much larger! I think I would need those vs the 4x6x4 regular because DD does seem to be a heavy wetter!

Okay, so that resolves the size problem on the CPF's and I may decide to go that route to save money.

I think I'm still interested in some more fitteds though that might be more absorbent than the Sandy's. If it doesn't exist then I'm happy to get some more Joeybunz to put in the Sandy's because they work great!

Laurie
mom to Emma 5/25/03

egoldber
08-09-2003, 01:26 PM
Well, prefolds are confusing because they use the same terms for infant sizes and non-infant sizes. There are preemie/newborn, infant regulars, infant premiums, regular, premiums and toddlers. Are you using infant premiums right? Personally, I think the regular (non-infant) are worth it. They are much less bulky than the premiums (non-infant) and your baby should still be able to wear them for a long time. Either is going to be more absorbant than infant prefolds.

Their growth does tend to slow down a lot after about 9 months. Also, the bikini twist gives you more diaper to snappi on the sides, so that can make your CPFs last longer too.

If you like the side snap style of the Sandy's, you may want to try Liz Cloth hemp fitted diapers. They are similar in style, but more absorbant.

HTH,

parkersmama
08-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Another side snap style that seems generously cut is the Snapdragons. She even includes extender tabs which make them last even longer. www.theposiepatch.com

emmasmama
08-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Beth,

Thanks for the bikini twist tip - I'll try that. I checked out the Liz's Cloth and I might try one of those to see how I like it.

Thanks for your help!
-Laurie