PDA

View Full Version : Do you know of any diapers good for swimming?

Bmore Mom
08-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi - Although most of the topics in this forum seem to concern CDs, I did not know where else to post this question.

Do any of you know where I might find diapers suitable for swimming? I am enrolling my 4 month old in swimming classes b/c he loves playing in the water during bath time. I was told that I would need special "swim diapers"...but I have yet to find any (I tried CVS, Wal-Mart, Target, and BabiesRUs).

Have any of you heard of such diapers and, if so, could you tell me where you've seen them?

Thanks so much!!

liya
08-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Arent they the huggies little swimmers??....also there are cloth swim diapers that have poop catchers.....No diaper catches pee only poop....

HTH

egoldber
08-17-2003, 04:31 PM
The most widely available ones tend to be Huggies Little Swimmers. Unfortunately (and oddly) it is getting toward the end of swim diaper "season". But the last time I was in my Target (a few days ago) they still had stacks of them. They are usually near the regular diaper aisle, but often on an end of aisle display.

Earlier this year Target and BRU had cloth swim diapers available (which are nice/cheaper if you go to the pool alot), but those were clearanced out at my local Target some time ago.

HTH,

C99
08-17-2003, 05:49 PM
I've seen Little Huggies swim diapers at Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart -- I bought some for my son for his swim class at K-Mart. Just an FYI, I thought he would love swim class b/c he loves bath time, but bath time is a lot warmer than a swimmimg pool (even indoors). Although it seemed like a good idea at the time, I wish we had waited until Nate was older to start swim class -- I think he'll enjoy it more when he's older.

Momof3Labs
08-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Do you have a Big Lots near you? They had swim diapers for a great price this past summer. I have lots of extras in the 16-28lb size, so if you get in a bind, let me know and I'll sell them to you for my cost + shipping.

There's always eBay, too!

KathyO
08-17-2003, 08:37 PM
PLEASE don't let us CDers put you off of posting! Just because we adore CD gossip doesn't mean we mean to crowd out anyone else with a question or comment!

That being said, if your son swims a lot, a cloth swim diaper may be an economical choice for you. I forget how much the Little Swimmers disposable swim diapers are, but just for comparison purposes, cloth swim diapers run at approximately $10-15 each, and if you're interested, we can point you at a few brands. It's basically just like a swimsuit, but (as has been said) with an inner "poop catcher" mesh. I used the same one for my daughter from 4 months to 2 years, and have just bought a size larger which should take us through to toilet training. Just for the record, though, she has never actually pooped while in a pool! (Peepee they don't really care about.)

Just another item to add to the mix. Enjoy your swim classes!

Cheers,

KathyO

egoldber
08-17-2003, 08:40 PM
Well you're the lucky one then! I have a cloth swim diaper, but honestly, I'm afraid to use it since Sarah poops EVERY time we go to the pool! I have to watch her like a hawk until she does "the deed" so that I can grab her out of the pool before she contaminates it!!!

stillplayswithbarbies
08-17-2003, 11:13 PM
If you can't find the Huggies Little Swimmers at a store, you can get something online.

This brand is a disposable with a resusable cover:

http://store.yahoo.com/kidsurplus/ipl-dispose-inf-b.html

I've ordered from this website before and they are usually quick to ship.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mom2kandj
08-18-2003, 10:23 AM
For disposables, Big Lots (CA) had Luvs swim pants for $3.99 a pack.

For cloth, I tried Yahoo shopping and entered "swim diaper" for my search. There were a ton of possibles with many under $10. Also, Children's Orchard(resale) ALWAYS has a ton of the smaller cloth swim diapers as babies outgrow them so quickly!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (32 months)
& Jack (16 months)

Bmore Mom
08-19-2003, 08:59 AM
Thank you so much for your good advice!! I will have to call around to other Targets, Wal-Marts, etc. to find the Huggies you are talking about since the stores near me did not (or no longer) carry them.

If Carter likes to swim (since his lessons are indoors, I didn't really think about the water temperature possibly being a turn off...I hope he doesn't mind it!!), then I will investigate the cloth swim diapers, which seem to make much more sense in the long run.

Thanks again!!!

smkinc
08-19-2003, 11:16 AM
I don't know how many swimming pool choices you have in your area, but one of ours has a warm pool (set at 93°) for water babies classes. This is very close to same temp we use at home for bath. That being said, we won't start classes until Oct. when Jeremiah is almost 8 months old. (Age limit to start was 6 mo's and next class isn't offered until Oct.

HTH,

Mary (Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03)

deborah_r
08-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Are the swim diapers made by OneStepAhead good? They are $9.95 and I was thinking about getting one.

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=97760&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=97760&change=117

KathyO
08-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Don't know that one. I have used the ones made by MotherEase (www.motherease.com) and been happy with those. The One Step Ahead design looks a lot like the ones made by Kooshies/Kushies, and I see those around a fair bit...

Good luck,

KathyO

deborah_r
08-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Is there a specific swim diaper, or is it just their regular All In One?

KathyO
08-22-2003, 02:13 PM
It's a specific swim diaper - here's the page where they have them:

http://www.motherease.com/database/scripts/store_products.pl?TopCat=6&SecCat=8&SID=1194318f9f5041b63573ca4cfb68b1cd&Loc=US

I'm sure there's lots of other good ones, but this is the one I have known and liked.

Best,

KathyO