PDA

View Full Version : Are soakers supposed to get wet?

lizamann
08-19-2003, 10:38 AM
I just used my Polarbaby on Nora for the first time and the sheet around her bum was damp in the morning. Is this supposed to happen with fleece? (using ds cpf's underneath.) I also have a Bumpy wool that I haven't tried yet (all from Earthbaby 'just the wraps' package) and am wondering if it will happen with that too. I have to admit that the soaker concept has had me confused from the beginning. They claim that they wick the moisture away from baby and get it to evaporate, leaving baby dry. But how do you get it not to get her clothes or the sheets wet? Also, does wearing clothes over them ruin their effectiveness? So confused.

I LOVE the pics of cute soakers showing up here, but I just don't see how they keep the sheets dry.

Can anyone clear up my confusion?
Thanks,
Beth

liya
08-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Some fleece doesnt hold the baby pee so well...thats why i dont like fleece...even the windpro let Arians pee wick through...You can try a waterproofing agent on the cover just to see...They sell it in walmart and its also from the makers of Sportswash....Also lanolize the wool cover before using it...If its not lanolized the same problem might happen with wool...To date...i NEVER had a problem with my bumpy...NEVER!! But with fleece, i took it off my list cause i always had a problem...

Melanie
08-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Wool absorbs 30-40% of it's weight before it begins to feel damp. I have used a wool flannel at night, but not a soaker yet...

parkersmama
08-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Linda...do you wash your wool bumpy in the washer? Just wondering. I noticed it says they can be machine washed. Also, is that a snaps or aplix cover? TIA!

Kate888
08-20-2003, 02:26 PM
For breathable covers (like wool and fleece), you'll need absorbant diapers to go underneath at night. Wool will absorbe lots of moisture, like Melanie said, but it will get damp eventually if the diaper is soaking wet and the wool has reached its maximum absorbancy (even when the cover is lanolized). Another thing is that sometimes you get compression wicking with baby staying in one position for a long time (like sitting in a car) or tight clothing. BUT, if the diaper is absorbant enough and you change the baby before this happens, you can avoid this problem completely. I prefer wool over fleece because I feel there is extra protection, kwim?

There are several kinds of soakers. Some are hand-knit and some are commercially made. Hand-knit soakers are very cute, trim and perfect for day time. Soakers like Aristocrat and Lana that are thicker (and bulkier) are ideal for nighttime. You can see pictures of different wool soakers here:
http://www.cookiepants.com/clothdiaperreview.htm

HTH a little :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

liya
08-20-2003, 03:20 PM
yup always washed it in the washing machine!!

Melanie
08-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Kate, have you ever tried any wool under clothing like pants/shorts?

I haven't yet...just wondering what's going to happen come winter...

Kate888
08-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Yes, but I've only tried it at home so far. I always put pants/shorts over wool (except nap time), don't want dog hair on the cover. :) Not courageous enough to try it in the car yet, because I don't want to keep thinking about "Should I change her now? Is it getting wet?" Plus, I want to get an idea about which diaper/wool cover combination works the best before I venture out.

So far I haven't had any wicking/leaking problem at home (knock on wood) and Maya is very active. Maybe I should give car ride a try ;)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02