PDA

View Full Version : CD Diaper Bag

anguschick1
08-20-2003, 07:19 PM
I've been cding at home now for two months and am ready to venture out in the world (still scared about nighttime) but don't know what kind of bag to use. My current diaper bag is almost too small for disposables, no way it would work w/cd. Also, what do you do w/the wet diapers? Is that what the wet bags discussion was about?

TIA,

Em

lizamann
08-20-2003, 07:30 PM
I can't help with the diaper bag. We use a backpack (McKenzie Kids) that I really like and it has plenty of room, if not too much.

The wet diapers can go in ziplocks, or if you want something nice you can buy a wetbag. Happytushies.com has some cute ones that you could coordinate with the bag you eventually get, or I think Bummis or Bumkins or both make them too.

Beth

C99
08-20-2003, 07:46 PM
How long do you think you'll be out for? I used to carry a ton of CDs with me when I went out. Now I carry maybe 1 or 2 AIOs and an emergency disposable. I put the used diapers in a Bummis wetbag ($6 at Naturalbabies.com). I also carry the usual assortment of things in the diaper bag: blanket, burp rag, spare outfit, toys, sling, wallet and cell phone, etc. I have the Combi backpack and everything fits well in it.

toomanystrollers
08-20-2003, 08:58 PM
I keep an extra stash of everything permanently in my car in a backpack. You can't travel light w/3 kids.
Usually when I go shopping, I just bring in my small Bummis wet bag - that's where I keep my traveling stash for the day. I also use lg. ziploc for dirty dipes. I've been eyeballing a new Lands End bag - I would like something I can clip over my stroller handle. I know Marshalls and TJ Maxx up this way (Boston) are loaded w/ cute colored Jansport backpacks for $6.99+ - perfect for dipes.

HTH
Pam

parkersmama
08-20-2003, 09:01 PM
I have a Sally Spicer diaper bag that works really well. It's plenty big enough for several CDs, an extra cover, changing pad, a couple of toys, wipes, a burp rag, and an extra outfit. I just wish it had more pockets to help me organize the stuff! I put wet/dirty dipes in a plastic grocery sack. When I get home, I put the diaper in the diaper pail and throw the sack away and put a new one into the diaper bag. I think if I had a wet bag (which I've considered...they are so cute!) it would get on my nerves that it had to be washed and might not be available when I needed it. Others who use wet bags...do you wash them every time they are used? I only wash diapers & pail liners every other day.

lizajane
08-20-2003, 09:27 PM
i like my eddie bauer bag because the dipes fit folded in half. there is plenty more room for all the other stuff. and i use the "bottle holders" for blankets, t-shirts, etc etc because i breastfeed. keeps everything organized. and the bag is gender neutral so dh can use it.

ziplocs for wet dipes. i use them until they get a hole in them. doesn't matter that they had a wet dipe in them, because that is all that is going to go in there next! my diaper bag also has a wet bag that you can take out, and a wet bag that is a zippered section of the bag itself.

em_jon98
08-20-2003, 09:32 PM
I am also on a quest for a new bag...I like my LE bag (hand me down, but I think its the current deluxe style) because of all of its pockets...but it's so darn big, and not very cute or stylish, so I tend not to carry it and have a smaller bag that everything is crunched into. My LE bag is really a well organized bag, but it needs to be smaller and more stylish for me to want to carry it more often.

In my small bag, I try to keep two cd's, two fleece liners, one extra cover, 2 backup disposables, cloth and disposable wipes, changing pad, a few snacks, a sippy cup and a bottled juice. I have a small Bummis wet bag (from naturalebaby (or naturalbabies)) that I throw wet dipes into. I empty it as soon as I get home and hang it to air out with the covers (I keep 2 pant hangers in Lindsey's closet for covers to air out between changes), and throw it in the wash with the rest of my dipes when I wash them.

C99
08-21-2003, 07:57 AM
No way. I really only wash it if the diaper's been sitting in there for a few days and the whole thing smells. Otherwise, I probably wash it once every 2 weeks or so.

1stTimeMummytoLorelai
08-21-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm new to the mom and the CD thing- in fact my little one hasn't even arrived yet (one month to go!)

But one CDing mommy recommended these plastic bags Sassy makes to me for storing wet diapers when you're out. They're baby powder scented so they're supposed to keep the smell down and they're about $1.97 for 50 bags at WalMart in the baby section. I picked up a couple of packages the other day and that's what I'm going to try.

As for diaper bags- I got a McKenzie Kids backpack too. I've been using it for other things while I've been pregnant, but let me tell you it holds a ton of stuff and I find it very comfy.

Good Luck,
Kate
EDD 22 Sept 03

zydmom
08-22-2003, 12:18 AM
Here's my "system." I have a regular backpack that I use. I had been using a totebag, thought. I bought an inexpensive flannelbacked table cloth and cut it into pieces to use as my diaper pad. They fold up super thin and that way I have a larger surface than the typical "diaper bag" pad. My diaper bag has the usual toys, cups, change of clothes, etc. AND a smaller bag.

In the smaller bag I keep my changing tablecloth piece, tube of cream, a small wipes container I keep cloth wipes in, and only one or two dipes and a cover. I do use the scented disposable bags -- they're very small and, hey, I like the scent. I only use them when we're out though, so my ecological conscience doesn't hurt to much.

The nice thing about this is that I often can leave the big bag with whomever I with and just take the little bag into the changing area -- or better yet, send my DH to the men's room with it and the baby! Even if I do need to take the whole bag, all my diapering supplies are together.

When we're out for long periods, I make up ziplocks with one dipe and one cover and just keep popping those into the smaller bag. Usually I keep those in the car unless we're really away from the car for hours which is very rare!

MartiesMom2B
08-22-2003, 12:34 AM
I just want to vouch that Liza's bag is really nice and roomy.

I have the Eddie Bauer backpack which holds probably 3 CDs and then I have an extra bag in my car with some emergency back up CPFs. I use scented sassy bags for my wet diaps they are pretty cheap. Ziplocs work good too.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Melanie
08-22-2003, 01:39 AM
I wash my wet bags with the diapers, every time. I have 2 for my pail and 3 for my diaper bag (2 would be fine). Ziplock works well, in a pinch.

Melanie
08-22-2003, 01:42 AM
I use an Avent backpack for my toddler...If I had to cart around a ton of stuff, it'd be too small, but it carries a small change of clothes, 2-3 diapers, wet bag, few toys, sippy, snack cup, mama essentials, wallet in outside, small changing pad, wipe box & powder in the bottome compartment.

I used to have the McKenzie Kids and used it for longer outings until I busted the seam between the bottom and the back over stuffing it for 2 plane flights. =( Now I think I'll get an LE backpack if I can find one on eBay for the right price.

I also keep another diaper bag in my car for emergencies with more diapers and changes of clothes. I used to keep a bag with items like that (& emergency supplies) for me before I had to fit stroller, etc. in my trunk. It's just a smart thing to do in Earthquakeland. As a matter of fact, I ought to start doing that again. The emergency one in the trunk also has disposables in it, along with non-favorite cloth diapers.