PDA

View Full Version : Oh my....Allergic to Hemp !!!

liya
08-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Ive tried doing everything you can think off...I also posted this on MDC to see if anyone else has had something similar happen to them...every single time i put a hemp diaper on Arian he breaks out...I tried changing detergents..i tried stripping i tried not stripping..IM GOING INSANE TRYING!!!! aaahhhgggrrr I put the RB on him today and he was fine until about 20 min later after i posted the post... I put a Kissaluvs on him...and it cleared up, so when i changed him i put a KHW diape on him and BAAMMMMMM broke out again....I did this for about 6 changes one with hemp and one without...HE BROKE OUT WITH EVERY SINGLE HEMP ONE!! i thought it might have been me and that i was actually making this up in my mind but today i remembered the doctor telling me that she had noticed an allergy on Arian's hiney(this was when i first asked about this)...Its not yeast,she confirmed it...There is no yeast at all..It just looks like a rash but im scared this might be the begining of the same issues we had with disposables....It started off like a little rash and then WOAH bleeding rashes...

The days i used cotton or sherpa or terry alone he was perfectly fine(this was when i didnt have my hemp diapers and again when i decided to strip em)....Once i started using hemp again the rash came back...

Has anyone had any problems with allergies and hemp...?? The rash is all over where the hemp touches...At first i thought it might be the wool, but its not...I put the AF today and he had the same thing happen...

:(

erzzie
08-21-2003, 11:17 PM
Is it possible that he's sensitive to your detergent and it just builds up worse on the hemp diapers than the other types? He was showing sensitivity to fleece too, right? And I've read that detergents tend to build up on fleece more often also? Maybe it would be worth trying a different brand before giving up completely. Or strip them with Calgon a few times(with no detergent at all)? I know you just got all those KHW dipes and really liked them (except for this awful development).

I hope you can get it worked out. Your poor little baby's bum! :(

Melinda

liya
08-22-2003, 12:34 AM
Been there...done that...sigh...i dont know what else to do...Honestly im really thinking its the hemp....I swear to god...Its soo weird...Ive done everything one can possibly think off...Yeah he was sensitive to fleece and now hes still sensitive to tonitex but not maden mills or polar fleece...But tonitex WOAH!!! BAD reaction....

Im really hoping its not the hemp...Even the RB got him all yuckie!!!

Melanie
08-22-2003, 01:36 AM
hhmmm...I was thinking he was just sensitive to his urine at first, but you said terry or sherpa doesn't do it? Ds was like that at first so everything had to have micro in it, somehow this has gone away for us now.

I don't see why he couldn't be allergic to hemp, though, I mean people are allergic to all sorts of common things. What happens if you put a microfleece or thin cotton liner in the hemp diaper? Does he break out where the DRY hemp touches him, too?

liya
08-22-2003, 09:01 AM
I did a wipe test today....i cut up a piece off a hemp wipe i had and actually(get this, btw ped requested i do this) put it on him with a band aid...i left it there for 5 min...he was trying to take the band aid out for some reason(not just curiosity it looked like something was bothering him) and sure enough i took it out and he was red right where the hemp was....We have done the sherpa and cotton rutine today and nothing no break outs...A fleece liner would work if the diaper itself wouldnt be all hemp ykwim...its all hemp on the inside all around so even if i line the bottom the top where the waist is etc would give him a rash(trust me i did that yesterday and it looked like he had been sunburned with a belt on)...

This is too weird but heck i got some answers at MDC that its not unheard of...Now im just in a flomp cause the majority of my stash is hemp...

Oh well....My ped is 100% sure its a topical allergy, but anyhow im taking him today with the results of the strip test she told me to perform....

So i guess yes, he is allergic to dry hemp...

toomanystrollers
08-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Sorry to hear about Arian's allergy :( Good luck at the peds! Kids always keep us on our toes. My oldest had allergic reactions to polyester blend pj's - all cotton for her.

Hang in there,

Momof3Labs
08-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Arian has just decided that he wants pretty new diapers every month!

Man, this is unbelievable - did you already sell those extra Kissaluvs? They may be your best way to go, with lots of changings during the day!

Melanie
08-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Awww...poor little one. I am glad you figured it out before it got terrible.

I guess someone needs to go buy some more diapers... ;-)

liya
08-22-2003, 01:51 PM
No i have em!!! thank god!!!!! I decided to keep them because i enjoyed the fit!!! ....sigh...yes he is a trooper man... were back by the way and yes the doctor confirmed it...we were send to a dermatologist today and he said he had a mayor topical allergy and it was the hemp...The poor little guy had to endure a min with a hemp diaper on....It was terrible, when he took it off the skin looked like it was burning(all those red bumps :( ) anyway the doctor told me to keep some handy JIC the allergy went away like the micro one did...he said some kids(when they have really sensitive skin) develop allergies which later go away....

My kissaluvs are the way to go, and i also have some sherpa topped(hemp inner) CBs i can use cause the hemp is on the inside doesnt touch him whatsoever....So i guess its the way to go...Now im kicking myself for selling the ME OS diapers GEESHHH...LESSON OF TODAY: Keep all your diapers till your diapering career is over, especially OS diapers...;)

Melanie
08-24-2003, 02:50 AM
One minute?! Wow...that's an incredible allergy.

FWIW, Ds broke out if he didn't have a micro-lining for several months, and recently anything is fine, so their skin can change.

liya
08-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately for my stash....Yes it is quite an allergy...Now i dont know what to do...I would keep the diapes because they can cover a wide range of sizes buuuuuuutttt!!!! what if i dont like the fit when his allergies subside...My husband and i are in kind of a bind on taking this desicion..he wants to keep some around JIC and i think i might have to agree with him on this one....But how many to keep??