PDA

View Full Version : laundry question...well, sort of

mommyj
08-22-2003, 01:11 AM
I'm wondering how much your electric bills increased when you switched to cd's? Ours seems to have gone up quite a bit, making dh wonder about all the money we're supposed to be saving. Money isn't the main reason I'm cd'ing (the environmental factor & not putting too many chemicals on ds' little butt are more important to me), but it was the one that convinced dh we should cd, and that we should wash our own dipes.
I'm trying to figure out if cd's are to blame for the jump in our electric bill.
TIA!

Melanie
08-22-2003, 01:25 AM
It's summer...do you have an air conditioner? If so, that's probably why. I mean, electric will go up a bit b/c you are doing 2-3 extra loads of laundry a week, plus if you dry them in the dryer, but did it go up an extra $80 (or whatever you paid for disp.) a month?

Sadly, I don't keep close enough track to know what difference it made to our bill, I should.

mommyj
08-22-2003, 02:21 AM
We don't use an AC or any type of cooling in our house. The only things I can think of that made a difference would be extra laundry (cd's and baby clothes), leaving more lights on, or I might have left my computer on more. I'm not sure.
I've never used disposables and don't plan to...I guess I'm just curious to see if anyone paid attention to see what the difference should be.

Momof3Labs
08-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Our gas bill has gone up a lot (our dryer and water heater are gas) but that's because the cost of gas went way up - when I compared our consumption to a year ago, it is only a little higher.

How often do you do diaper laundry, and how long do you run the dryer? You can always put the diapers outside for some of the drying to save money!

lizajane
08-22-2003, 10:47 AM
hasn't made any difference for us. maybe a few dollars. nothing noticable. we wash diapers twice a week, running them through three times, and using two dryer cycles.

maybe try line drying?