PDA

View Full Version : So what's the deal with training pants?

KathyO
08-22-2003, 08:05 PM
We're not on any big push here, but DD is starting to show a lot of interest in using the toilet, and we figure we won't discourage that. But how does the whole training pants thing work? I've seen the fabric-only ones with extra knit layers sewed into the crotch to make them super-absorbent of leaks, and then I've seen ones which have a waterproof shell on the outside of that, and then I've seen ones where the shell and the absorbent lining are so bulky that they might as well be a diaper...

Do people choose one model and go with it, or work their way through the gradations towards plain underwear, or does it depend on what kind of accidents your aspiring toilet-user has, or does it depend on how often you feel like changing their outfit along with their dampened/soiled undies?

Charting undiscovered country,

KathyO

nohomama
08-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Good question. I'm interested to hear what people have to say too.

Over the past month Lola has gotten more and more interested in the potty. She seems to be doing most of the toilet training herself (I'm furiously knocking on wood as I write this because I really haven't a clue what I'd do otherwise). She made great strides while we were on vacation and she was running around with, as she says. "her naked on." She could often be heard to say, "I wanna go peeps in da poddy" or "I wanna go peeps in da grass." The grass thing got to the point where it felt like I was dealing with a dog. She's say she wanted to pee in the grass, I'd open the door, she'd run out on the lawn, squat, and pee. She even asked us to take her diaper off so she could pee.

The big "however" in all of this is that, while she's thrilled to pee in the potty, the thought of pooping the the potty seems to terrify her. While we were away she actually pooped on the potty for the first time and the look on her face as she contimplated the turd in the toilet was one of shock and horror. I guess that's something we'll have to work on. That and also that it's a good idea to lift up her dress or shirt before she sits down to do her business. Just because I'm not laundering as many urine soaked diapers lately doesn't mean I don't have a bunch of urine soaked stuff to launder.

But I digress. Back to the matter at hand. Can anyone out there enlighten us on the wonderful world of training pants?

liya
08-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Maybe since you all are the pioneers of this CULT!! youll have to figure this one out and then inform us on it ;) ...Afterall u were the co founders of this CULT in the BB BUTT FORUM.... ;)

nohomama
08-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Sister, I don't think I'm hardy enough stock to be a toilet training/training pants pioneer (I told you, Lola's the one doing all the work here). I really feel there is something quinessentially different about changing a crappy diaper as a opposed to changing a crappy pair of training pants. Frankly, the idea of the later just makes me want to let my kid go without drawers until she's fully trained.

KathyO
08-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Looks like it's you and me, m'dear... I think I'll spend the next few days canvassing my older momfriends, and seeing what I come up with. I have been bequeathed a number of the fabric-only training pants, and a few of the bulky shell-and-absorbent-lining ones, and plan to invest in a few of the MotherEase ones, which seem like a nice, streamlined compromise between the two. So once we get serious on this (and don't be holding your collective breath, folks!), I'll post some reviews.

And Sarah, you're already ahead of me... we've managed a couple of widdles in the potty, but no poop! I'm thinking I might try the "go nakey" experiment at the cottage we'll be vacationing at next month, weather permitting - you're definitely not the first, or even the fifth, person I've heard say that toilet training was born in the vacation wilderness, so to speak. Hmmmm....

Cheers,

KathyO

egoldber
08-24-2003, 08:45 PM
We are NOWHERE NEAR ready for this, but the vacation method of potty training has also been highly recommended to me! (I hear the beach works especially well for this...)

KathyO
08-24-2003, 09:24 PM
I've heard the indoor version of this referred to as the "$75 and a t-shirt" method of toilet training. Child runs around in a t-shirt and nothing else while you work on getting them to do their thing in the potty... and when it's all over, you use the $75 to have your rugs cleaned. I don't think we're THAT desperate, though...

SeekerMage
08-25-2003, 12:12 AM
HEHEHE seems having an oder child on the board has its benefits too!
Angela pretty much started to self potty train, though it took us a while until after she was two since we had to wait till we had custody because of the whole security of diapers thing.....Anyhow here is my advice!

First of all for the mom who has the little one starting to self potty train (sorry its late and I dont remember who) we had this same issue with Angela. We made it a big deal that she could get big girl underpants when she went poopies on the potty. We took her to the store and showed them to her and we talked about it over and over. We got her a little potty and had her sit, try doing it around the time you know she might have a bowl movement. (our start was we will get the real underwear once she could poop on the potty and it worked) We would sit with books and we would encourage her until finally she went...then it was party time! She got to call everyone and anyone on the phone to say she went poopies on the potty and would be able to go and get big girl underwear. We then took her to the store and she got to pick them out! Then it was no more diapers.

As for the pants...the plastic coated ones are a waste of money! The thicker training pants are ok if you are going out and want a little extra protection...however, here is my opinion. Get the regular old underwear! You WANT them to feel that they are wet because typically they wont like it and will get trained faster. They wont like the wetness running down their legs etc. Though if you do give them a lot of liquids, if they are big sippy cup drinkers you might want to get some of the training pants, the ticker underwear. Summer is also a good time because they have less clothes to absorb it so they feel it better! We did this route with Angela and knock on wood over a year and a half later she has only had a handful of accidents, and mostly because we waited too long to take her to the potty and or didnt remind her!

One thing to remember though once you get rid of the diapers DO NOT go back to them. What is the point of potty training if you are going to put a diaper on them that they know they can just go in?
Pull Ups are also a no no because they are a diaper! Granted I suggest using them at night, but emphasize they are big kid pants for bed because its a real pain to try and strip the bed in the middle of the night because of an accident. (we got the walmart generic brand that had bunnies on them and called them her bunny pants!) Night time and nap time expect accidents for a while so pull ups are great for them. But try and stop this by going potty before bed and as soon as they wake up, no matter if they are wet or not!
You also might want to push liquids at first to get the ball rolling, but then once in gear not give so much because it is an accident waiting to happen!

As far as changing the wet clothes, you definitly want to do this. We made such a big deal about Angela being a "big girl" that she hated when she had an accident and was in many ways embarrassed. We were probably really mean to her by using the threat of putting her back in diapers, but it worked. She did NOT want to be a baby again and wear diapers because we played it up so much how she was a big girl and got to wear underwear. She now has an extensive collection from princess to pooh bear. The hanes her way ones fit the best for girls, though granted Angela is kinda thin. Fruit of the Loom and the generic brands like Circo from Target seem to be baggier so if your little one is a little more rounded these will fit better.

I also just saw a Dr Phil episode on potty training and he had two things that he suggested that supposedly worked well. One get a doll that wets and have your child teach the baby to go potty...then throw a big party YEAh baby did it. Then have the child sit on the potty and try and go...if they dont, wait and try again until they go then celebrate! Basically by teaching the doll they taught themselves. Dont know that I agree but it seemed to work. They main thing that I think that worked was the whole party celebrating thing. Kids love to be praised, they love the attention especially for doing something right, therefore they will repeat the process. In addition Dr Phil had something about if they have an accident you have to take them to the bathroom, pull their pants down, sit them on the potty, remind them that is where potty goes, then pull up their pants, take them out of the bathroom and do the process all over again NINE times. This sounded a little strange to me but he said something about the whole nine times thing sticks in the kids head or something...who knows.

Anyhow....celebrate and celebrate and remind them and be consistent about going potty. Ask every hour, take them to the potty, and watch out for the private poopers...Angie always hid under the table if she wanted to go in her pants! We caught her twice and then there after if we saw her under there it was quick upstairs and everytime she would go on the potty~! The first week is the hardest because you have to watch their EVERY move. Watch for the potty dance, the squat, the distraction etc. You have to have a lot of patience too.
We kept a stack of books in the bathroom for her to read. We would have her sit in there and read until she went, espeically if it was a while since she last went. We would sometime have to sit and sing and tell stories etc. But the patience has paid off so its worth it.
Another thing besides the celebrating is is we used bribery....we kept a dish of candy in the bathroom and everytime she went she got ONE candy...but only if she went. We had M&Ms most of the time and this worked well because she didnt get them otherwise, we used the crispy ones because they have less chocolate if you dont want them having candy chocolate. Smarties and other such little candies work well espeically if you dont usually let them have candy. It worked great for us.. let me tell you she would squeeze out just a few drops just so she could get a treat! LOL this also only lasted for a few weeks then we just didnt bother and she didnt notice so much after a while because it became so routine.

Anyhow..that is my advice....I put a post on another board I think about potty training with more advice and the step by step ways that we did it if you are interested. Id be happy to help in any way I can. We really lucked out and got her potty trained in under a week so we must have done something right! Hope this helps!

sugarsnappea
08-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Great question! I am trying to figure this out too! We started doing well with poops on the potty but now DD is adamantly opposed to even sitting on it. I am not one for forcing and DH is not one for bribing. I figure we will just take a break and try to re-introduce the potty in a week or so.

Everything I read says to not start toilet training/learning when major events are occurring in your life. We are moving in November and expecting in January-- I wonder if I was wrong introducing the concept so early... I am really interested in what others have done/are doing. :)

nohomama
08-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Kate,

Once you've done your recon, let me know what you've found. All of my friends who are parents have kids about Lola's age or younger so none have any more experience with this than I do.

SeekerMage
08-27-2003, 12:41 AM
Honestly, I think now is the best time to get started on the potty training. You could have it done by then and her set in a nice routine. Otherwise you are looking at a longer wait. Well after the baby is born because she might use it as attention grabbing from the baby, wanting to be a baby too with the diapers. Just my opinion though. I wouldnt push it but try and make it exciting for her especially since she is going to be a big sister...and a big girl. Maybe find out why she doesnt like the potty...maybe she wants to use the big potty and not her little potty...we had the happen for a while. Maybe she just needs a little encouragement that just because she isnt in diapers doesnt mean she cant be your "baby" and have your attention. Who knows...hope this helps some. Do whatever feels comfortable for both you and your little one!