PDA

View Full Version : A question about laundry detergent...

parkersmama
08-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Okay, this may sound really stupid but I'm wondering what everyone's meaning is when they say they only use 1/4 to 1/3 of the recommended amount of detergent? I'm using Tide (powder) these days and wondering what measurement to use. Are you all considering the "recommended" amount to be a full scoop and are therefore using 1/3 of the scoop capacity? Or are you looking at the markings on the scoop and adjusting for the size load and then taking 1/3? I'm still having my stinky diaper problem and wondering if I'm using too much or too little detergent! Thanks for your help!

mamahill
08-27-2003, 04:46 PM
I use liquid Tide, but I use 1/3 of the cup provided. For regular loads I still only use about 1/2 the cup. I don't know about powder. If I use too little soap, then my diapers don't smell as good - but if I use too much, I worry that it won't all wash out (those little goobers are ABSORBANT!). When I notice stinky diapers, I was them in baking soda and vinegar. Then they don't remain stinky for another 5-6 washes. HTH!

egoldber
08-27-2003, 06:20 PM
I always do a full load of diapers. My Tide says to use a full scoop for a veabily soiled load (which I assume diapers are), so I use about 1/3 of the size scoop provided.

HTH,

blnony
08-27-2003, 07:07 PM
I wash diapers at about "1/2" a normal load, but set it on large load to get enough water, and I use 1/2 a capful of liquid detergent then I watch the rinse cycle. If there are a lot of suds in the rinse cycle, I then do another full wash with either Calgon water softener or baking soda with a downey ball of white vinegar for the rinse. Then I watch that rinse and either repeat rinse with nothing added or if no suds, then I go on to the dryer.

parkersmama
08-27-2003, 09:15 PM
That's a really good idea but how on earth do you remember to go back and check the rinse cycle?? I wanted to try that a couple of times when I was using Calgon and I swear, I think I only caught the rinse one time! Life just gets in the way and before I know it, the diapers are done!! LOL!

blnony
08-27-2003, 09:28 PM
I kept forgetting about it too...so I set a timer! :) I finally had to do something to help me remember. LOL!! I completely understand.

egoldber
08-27-2003, 10:10 PM
I never bother to check the rinse. I just Calgon once a week whether they need it or not! But I can usually tell by the smell of the pail if they are starting to build up.

natividad
08-28-2003, 09:01 AM
I have been using a measuring cup. I use 1/3 liquid Tide or All F&C with good results.

HTH,
Naty