PDA

View Full Version : Laundering CD basics

Andrea James
08-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Hi All -

I'm trying to figure out a routine for laundering cds. I don't think I want to soak the cds. Also, I only have 1 diaper pail and would like to use my washing machine as the other.

Questions:
1. Do I really need 2 diaper pails? Can't I put wet and dirty cds in same pail/washing machine?

2. If you suggest using 2 pails, and one of them is a washing machine, do you put the wet or dirty in the machine?

3. What laundry detergent do you use?

4. Is Arm & Hammer Washing Soda different from Arm & Hammer Detergent? Where do you buy A&H Washing Soda?

5. What is your laundering routine? Cold wash, hot wash, vinegar (what kind), etc.

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks for your input.

Andrea

egoldber
08-28-2003, 09:12 PM
I have tweaked my routine over time, but here's what I do right now.

Hot wash on heavy duty cycle in hot water with 1/3 recommended amount of Tide. After that wash cycle is complete, I do a second cold rinse.

Once a week, after the hot wash, I do a warm rinse with a capful of Calgon (the water softener). I then do the cold rinse.

I dry everything together on high for 50 minutes (although I do hang dry my covers and FuzziBunz).

I used to use other stuff: vinegar, baking soda, and I've stopped doing all that. It didn't seem to help.

I only use one dry pail.

HTH,

mamahill
08-28-2003, 10:23 PM
1. I've got one pail and it suits me fine. I do diapers every 3 days. Wet and dirty diapers are all the same to me.

2. see #1

3. I use Tide. LOVE the smell so much, I switched over from Costco's Kirkland brand.

4. It was my understanding that "washing soda" is just baking soda? Maybe I'm wrong...

5. I soak for an hour because I find I don't have to do any extra rinses later. One cold cycle w/ 1/4 cap of Tide, one hot cycle 1/4 cap of tide. A baking soda and vinegar (just white vinegar - buy in bulk) cycle once every 4-5 washes.

Any more questions? :) Oh, I do have 2 pail liners, though, so one is in the pail while the other is washing and hang drying. Well worth the $$, IMO.

malie
08-29-2003, 12:07 AM
Washing soda, baking soda, A&H laundry detergent are three different products (I'm not even sure how much baking soda or washing soda is even in the A&H detergent anymore if any)

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (chemically NaHCO3)
Washing soda contains sodium carbonate (chemically Na2CO3) Not that really helps explain the difference between the two but washing soda is a stronger product (if you look at a box it contains warning labels that baking soda does not). If stores carry it it's usually by the laundry aids but if you can't find it and you can use baking soda as a sub. if you want (a lot of people do simply because baking soda is a lot easier to fine )

sugarsnappea
08-29-2003, 07:11 AM
I used to use 1/2 Washing Soda and 1/2 detergent in my diaper wash. After reading the posts here and over at Mothering, I realized Washing Soda is unnecessary and causes build up in dipes. I now skip it altogether and use straight detergent (i am a kirkland fake Tide junkie) every wash, and calgon once a week. I do a warm wash, hot wash and cold rinse. As the others said, you don't need to soak your dipes. :)

alkagift
08-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Where do you guys get the pail liners? Sarah has two, but are you using the same Target trash can that Beth uses? I've seen nice cans meant for trash with removable plastic liners at the Container Store, is that what you're talking about? Don't we need something with a tight lid, or is a metal step can ok?

I was talking to my mom about this last night (an old '60's era CDer) and she doesn't think I will CD based on the washing issue alone! "That's why they have diaper services, dear, it's awful!" She had a diaper service then. I can't believe it's that awful if you guys do it 2-3 times a WEEK!

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

emmasmama
08-29-2003, 09:29 AM
I have the Sterilite cans from Target - one big, one small... the big one was originally intended for the nursery, but it ended up in the family room next to the pack n' play changing table, because I change her more often there (it's closer to the laundry room and I'm lazy ;).

I ordered pail liners from Kelly's closet - Bummis waterproof pail liner - L fits the smaller Sterilite can, XL fits the bigger Sterilite can. And a second custom set from happytushies.com, which are cute, but I actually prefer the Bummis. The Bummis liners dry very quickly as opposed the PUL + fabric liners. I've also found that the happytushies liners wick quite a bit and always seem damp on the bottom half of the outside fabric. I just checked her site and looks like she may have remedied this and she does have some cute stuff :). But, anyway, the Bummis have my vote if you don't care as much about style ;)

And it's not awful! As I said before, I'm kind of lazy, but washing them is really just doing a few more loads of laundry a week. I've never really minded doing laundry, so that didn't seem that bad to me considering the phenomenal savings over disposable, and the other multitude of environmental, etc reasons.

emmasmama
08-29-2003, 09:35 AM
1. no, I only have two for the 2 different levels of the house, otherwise, just the LG Sterilite can from Target would probably be sufficient (see my other post about pails)

2. I do sometimes use the washing machine as my "dirty pail" if I have some really nasty poopy diapers (I don't breastfeed though, so the reason for this is that her poops are more smelly and formed) - I'll just let them sit in there in some cold water and then prewash out the poop before I add the rest of the dipes and do a regular load

3. I use All Free & Clear (I get the economy size from Sam's Club)

4. don't know about Arm & Hammer

5. laundry routine (exception being #2 - no pun intended - above):

hot wash with 1/3 normal qty detergent
cold rinse
dry all in the dryer (except PUL covers and Fuzzibunz)

HTH,

celfsh
08-29-2003, 09:42 AM
"I was talking to my mom about this last night (an old '60's era CDer) and she doesn't think I will CD based on the washing issue alone! "That's why they have diaper services, dear, it's awful!" She had a diaper service then. I can't believe it's that awful if you guys do it 2-3 times a WEEK!"

Your mom would think I'm crazy then because I typically wash diapers everyday! :)

I actually have enough diapers to go 2-3 days, but I find that the more often I wash the LESS work it is for me because I don't have to worry about battling stains. I have a very easy wash routine, so it really is no big deal--I just throw a load in and let the washing machine do all the work! Here are the details:

I only have one diaper pail (28-quart Sterilite can from Target) and one liner, although a second liner would definitely be nice. Also, I just use whatever detergent is the cheapest, which in my area happens to be a down-market brand called Western Family. Anyway, I put all the diapers (wet and poopy) in the washing machine and run a cold rinse followed by a long, hot wash cycle with about 1/3 cup of detergent. Then I run an extra rinse with 6-7 drops of tea tree oil. I line dry FBs and covers and throw everything else in the drier.

HTH a little!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

egoldber
08-29-2003, 12:44 PM
I also have the 28 qt Sterilite container from Target and I have two pail liners, so I can switch them out. I could do 3-4 days between laundry, but I prefer to wash every other day and it just isn't a big deal.

HTH,

Andrea James
08-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Thank you all very much for your input. I have registered for a Diaper Champ for my shower. Do you think I should just cancel it, or do you think it will work as my pail? I liked it b/c it uses regular plastic bags -- you don't have to buy special bags.

Also, it seems some of your wash in hot first and then cold second/third. I read that washing in cold first won't set the stains. Any comments on this?

Andrea

egoldber
08-29-2003, 08:01 PM
I used to ALWAYS wash in cold first and then experimented with using onoly a hot wash. I have noticed no difference in terms of staining, but I ALWAYS use fleece liner.

If you are planning to use CDs then the Champ is not the best choice. You're better off with a less expensive solution like the can from Target, since you won't be using plastic bags to line the pail at all.

HTH,

mommyj
08-31-2003, 12:05 AM
I would recommend not getting the diaper champ. I use the 28 qt sterilite garbagr pail w/an extra large liner from www.happytushies.com. I got cute pail liners that match the colors in my room. I fold the liner so a little of the cute fabric shows on the outside of the pail. I know a lot of people think cute liners and cute cloth wipes are unneccesary, but I love mine. I'm changing diapers so often it's nice to be surrounded with cute thungs:)

lizajane
09-04-2003, 09:24 PM
i use a diaper champ. i don't even use any bags. i just drop them into the pail. note- i do have to open the lid to put diapers in the pail now that the diapers are larger. they get stuck in the "chamber" once you get to the standard size cpf.

and i do a cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse. no det, det, no det.