PDA

View Full Version : The yeast rash from hell... do I really need to boil my CD's?

emmasmama
09-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Our saga continues as we are ending week 3 of the yeast rash that will not die... poor DD is now getting a dose of Mycolog II for the next week and hopefully that will be the end of this. She now hates diaper changes and screams the whole time I'm changing her, which sucks because she liked them before this nightmare began. The ped thinks it has to do with her formula - said a connection has been found between Enfamil Lipil and increased yeast (not sure if this also applies to Similac Advance), so he had us switch to Carnation Good Start.

But I digress... my question is this... should I boil all of her CD's? I turned the water heater all the way up (and it gets REALLY hot - steam comes off of it when the washer is filling) and washed everything a couple of times when I thought the rash was gone earlier this week. Is that enough if I do that again? If not and I have to boil them, do I also boil covers and Fuzzibunz? When should I do this process? When the rash looks like it has cleared? Right now? After the rash has been gone a few days?

Hope someone can help me out here!

blnony
09-03-2003, 08:28 PM
You shouldn't boil anything with snaps, they will fall off.
CPF or doublers or liners are fine, but I wouldn't boil fitted or aios.
Some people use a few drops of Tea Tree Oil in the diaper wash to help kill yeast.
I really don't have a lot of advice, but if I were in your shoes I'd probably wash the diapers in a hot wash a few times and if you had TTO I might use that in one of the washes. And I would boil anything without snaps.
Sorry I don't have better advice, maybe someone else will have better ideas.
I really hope the rash is gone soon because I know how stressful they can be for you and your babe. :)

liya
09-03-2003, 08:47 PM
All the mamas ive talked about say yes...BOIL YOUR DIAPERS !!!! if you have steaming water then dont worry about it....Sorry for tha bad news but its the only thing that kills it even if the snaps can be hurt...You cannot for the life of you boil fuzzi bunz they will just go bad......

Tea Tree Oil those suckers wash them in hot....take some dawn liquid soap and scrub if you have to....

Also this is what Darshani(MDC MOM) did to her diapers
http://www.motherease.com/wwwboard/messages/6024.html

Some ppl are using a tablespoon of bleach(im definately scared of it) but anyhow it is true to kill infections...Here is another post on this..

QUOTE"okay I don't want to sound weird but I think we become overly scared of bleach. Bleach can be a great product if used correctly these are my rules.
1) Don't use unless totally necessary. Like to kill yeast.
2) Dilute!!!!!! I forget the ratio but I know VERY LITTLE BLEACH will wipe out yeast and it wont make fleece repell.
2) re wash and double or even triple rinse Its always good to make sure the bleach is gone or it will burn baby. So will TTO. I rinse till no bleach smell can be detected.
3) run empty washer with bleach and hot water, Yeast and other nasties can linger in the washer.

I know my mom used a LOT of bleach and would sometimes not even rinse and I would never reccomend this, but she still has those Curity (SP) Flat fold diapers, there still in one piece just really WHITE!"

You have to use sposies till the rash clears up, meanwhile wash your diapers very well....Wash and wash and wash as many times as you need....and then when the rash is all gone you can go back to cloth...

HTH

trumansmom
09-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Sunlight also helps kill yeast, so after you boil them, hang them outside to dry if at all possible. Also, remember to boil them for at least 10-30 minutes.

And if you're boiling bras, remember that the black ones bleed. :) When I was boiling mine, apparently the yeast sucked all the intelligence out of my body and I boiled them all together. I promptly had to order new white and beige bras because they all turned a gross shade of gray. Argh.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

mama2be
09-04-2003, 07:19 AM
Interesting about what the Dr said...
I've had Tristan happily on Costco's formula ever since he has been on formula BUT they jsut switched to DHA/ARA and during the switch their shelves had no costco formula for aobut 4 weeks so we changed to Enfamil and Similac...AND THAT IS WHEN THIS STARTED!!!! He's NEVER had an ounce of red before...

I ahve wondered if there was a connection...we have our 6 month appt today so I hope to get a rememdy. I assume it is yeast I don't really know what he has on him. My fear is him associating this with diaper changes so I am careful...

I know this hard hang in there...

emmasmama
09-04-2003, 07:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the diaper washing info! I will try these tips and I'm definitely going for some bleach - this nightmare cannot continue so I'll do whatever it takes to kill those suckers!... so I guess I will put her in sposies :(... at least it will be easier to get her in the diaper while she's screaming her head off about all the creams I have to put on her... sigh...

emmasmama
09-04-2003, 07:58 AM
Neve, let me know if you get any confirmation on this! I also felt like there had to be some connection because the yeast seems to be so persistent. It would make sense that it was coming from her diet because that's how it works for adults much of the time. I used to have a terrible problem with yeast infections until I switched to a macrobiotic diet for a while. Haven't had one since!

gravymommy3
09-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Grapefruit seed extract in the wash will also help kill yeast. Good luck to you.

parkersmama
09-04-2003, 01:36 PM
I agree with Jeanne...try sun. It really works just as well as boiling and will be a lot easier on your snaps and bras. That helped us get rid of yeast the last go 'round!

C99
09-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Also try vinegar in the rinse cycle. I've used it on my bras.

emmasmama
09-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Well good thing I've got all the necessities on hand!

GSE
TTO
bleach
vinegar
and some REALLY HOT water!

this yeast doesn't have a chance!

Here is Linda's recipe for success that she emailed me:
--------------------------------------
"Ok for the CPFs

30 Drops of GSE wash a complete hot cycle(here is where you will add a tbs of bleach or 2 if you really feel that you are more at ease knowing the bleach WILL kill the bacteria)....

then restart cycle 15 drops of tea tree oil and some detergent(the one you normaly use)

then restart and put a downy ball with 1/2 cup of vinegar in there and let it run through....

then let the washer run through all by its lonesome about 3 times in hot and dry either in the sun or in the dryer and leave for 15 min more after the are dry to dissinfect..."
---------------------------------------

Seems like a lot, but I never want to see another yeast rash as long as I'm diapering!!!

SeekerMage
09-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Well you got all the good info about the diapers...I have a little info about helping to get rid of the yeast rash. if you can try and let her have a naked bum for a little while to she gets a chance to air out a little. That and have her soak in a tub of cool water with a few tablespoons of baking soda. When she gets out just pat her skin dry and let it air dry a little. It will soften her skin and help heal the rash. I feel for her, been there and its no fun! Hope she is feeling better soon and you get the diapers in a tip top no germ good state!

emmasmama
09-09-2003, 05:56 AM
Thanks Kathryn - she's looking all better now, but I will save this tip in case she ever has it again!