PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need to get diaper covers asap!

Andrea James
09-12-2003, 07:36 PM
I am due in about 3 weeks, and the diaper covers I wanted from WeeBees (Wee Bees Snap-On) are out of stock and WeeBees deosn't know when they will be in stock. I need to get diaper covers asap and wanted your input.

I would rather have covers that have snaps or no closure at all (just a pant); I don't really want to mess with "velcro" tabs.

I have European diapers and will be using pins.

Any suggestions? Obviously, I'll have to have the covers overnighted, but I don't know which covers really work well and hold up well.

Thanks so much.

Andrea

mommyj
09-12-2003, 07:58 PM
My favorite diaper covers are original Bummis whisper pants. They work great with pinned or snappied prefolds or fitteds. They're really gentle, so they're great for newborns. They were the only cover that didn't irritate ds' skin, and I tried several kinds.
They're $5/each at naturalbabies. Colleen has excellent customer service, and she has whisper pants in stock right now. Here's the link: http://store.naturalbabies.com/products/
Let us know when you have your baby. Congratulations in advance!

AngelaS
09-12-2003, 08:02 PM
I love the Dappi pullon covers. They pull on like pants, are CHEAP and work FABULOUSLY!! :D

lizajane
09-12-2003, 09:06 PM
definitely go to colleen at naturalbabies.com. you won't need to have them overnighted. she will send them really fast. i ususally get stuff from her in about 3 days, without asking for a rush. email her and ask her to send them asap, or priority mail... she is great. i know she will help!

(we use proraps with velcro, so the whisper pants sound good for you.)

and the hospital will give you a pile of 'sposies that will last a few days, so don't worry. you can always use them for a few days in case baby comes really early!

edited to add: you may want to use disposables until the merconium stage ends anyway, as i hear it is a nasty mess on cloth. that is what we did.

also, you will want a lot of covers in the beginning because newborn poop often gets on the cover. but many covers size smalls work ok pretty early, and newborns don't last very long. ds was almost 10lbs, and the small proraps are made for 9-14 lbs. the newborns, only 6-10. so i am glad i got smalls and not newborns to start!

and i am confused about why you don't want to use velcro? they are the easiest to put together, i think, and you can get the best fit because they are much more adjustable.

liya
09-12-2003, 09:15 PM
They sell similar ones to Dappis at BRU and also they sell some at target....I think that would be way faster than getting them shipped...

parkersmama
09-12-2003, 11:10 PM
In the early days I tried several snap covers because I wrongly assumed that I'd like snaps better than velcro. I tried the Bummis snaps, the Prorap snaps, and the ME Airflow. Of these, the AF are the only ones I still use. The Bummis was my next favorite. I liked the proraps velcro but not the snaps. The snap covers that only have one row of snaps are not very adjustable. Snaps at waist and legs make them a much better fit. Like Liza, I'm not sure why you don't think you'll like velcro. I didn't think I would and I wish someone had told me how much easier velcro is! It is much more adjustable fit-wise and a lot faster to get on the baby. Speed may be important especially if you've had to struggle with pins! :-) Good luck with your impending arrival! I'm sure you're quite ready for the appearance and eagerly awaiting. Let us hear when baby arrives!

mommyj
09-13-2003, 01:32 AM
I think proraps do run small but the whisper pants run pretty true to size. The leg holes on the smalls were way too big on ds until he was about 6 weeks old. I think maybe it's because they're not adjustable, but I'm not sure if the smalls would fit a newborn unless s/he was huge. But, I totally know what you're saying about proraps...

Andrea James
09-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I read on several different sites that a velcro close can scratch the baby's skin, the baby can figure out how to undo the tabs off and take the diaper/cover off, and/or if you aren't careful and fold the tabs back somehow, then the velcro tabs wreak havoc in the clothes washer and make everything stick to each other or tear the cloth up. That's why I thought the snaps would be better.

Andrea

Momof3Labs
09-13-2003, 10:24 PM
That can all be true, but I think that the perfect fit that you can get with velcro covers (thus preventing leaks) is a huge advantage. We use Bumpy velcro covers, and they don't scratch Colin's skin, he hasn't learned how to take them off (although we usually dress him in one-piece outfits, making it harder for him to do), and there is no problem in the washer. We just fasten the tabs and then turn the covers inside out.

I do prefer snaps on my fitted diapers, though - just like the look better!

nohomama
09-13-2003, 10:45 PM
I liked velcro covers when Lola was younger. They fit well and made changing the diaper of an itty bitty baby a snap, no pun intended, for a new Mama .

Walking in on your babe up to her elbows in !@#$% is quite an experience but one you won't need to worry about in the newborn phase. I didn't begin to prefer snaps until Lola was quite a bit older, around 6+ monthes. That's when she became a little Houdini and was able to wiggle her way out of her dipe. If you use fitteds or prefolds/contours with a snappy though, the whole "up to the elbows" senario becomes much less likely even then.