PDA

View Full Version : reaction to hemp?

cilantromapuche
09-17-2003, 08:42 AM
when i put ds in his liz's cloth at night the front part is all red and rash-y. could it be a reaction from the urine and hemp (it doesn't to it with cpf's). i have a hemp pf but am too lazy to use the pins. thank heavens for snappis and fitteds or i would not be a cd'er!

Momof3Labs
09-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Linda!!!!

Linda's (liya's) Arian reacts to hemp, too. Here's her thread on it:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=6428&mesg_id=6428&listing_type=search

Edited to add: it could also be that the diaper is not getting rinsed well and your baby is reacting to a detergent build-up. Is it a new dipe, or relatively used?

liya
09-17-2003, 02:36 PM
you called...lol ok here goes my suggestions before you claim sensitivity....Some ppl are sensitive to hemp, it is the oils that hemp contains that cause this sensitivity, once all the oils are vanished from the fabric itself then there "should" be no problem...

1. You have to try and wash that diaper strip it completely clean ..use some calgon if you have to and wash and wash and wash and wash and wash....ALOT!!! take out the Tea Tree Oil take out everthing just wash in plain water with vinegar rinses in HOT!!! and then after you believe the water is crystal clear add a tad just a spinkle(if its only one diaper) of det...

2. Take NEW HEMP and put it on your baby...Even though its not absorbant enough your baby should react to it if he is allergic...Let him pee in it and check...If he doesnt react to it then its not the hemp but probably something else you are using on the diapers..

3. Check and see if he is reacting equally to cotton vs hemp...By this I mean does he also react to other diapers that arent hemp...?

4. Change your detergent, the detergent might be the cause of his allergies and not the diaper itself..but since the diaper has been washed in it the residues could be affecting him...

Liz and I both have very sensitive kiddos and Liz gave me alot of advice on this matter so i went step by step thoughout the whole thing....

HTH

erzzie
09-17-2003, 02:48 PM
So Linda, did Arian end up being sensitive to the unwashed hemp diapers? He really, truly has a hemp allergy?

liya
09-17-2003, 03:04 PM
Still somewhat testing...... I will post an update on that by the end of this week though, we are going to give them a try now again after zillions and zillions of washes.... JIC but i will keep you all updated...Also....so you all dont get your hopes down if your son or daughter is reacting to hemp...Allergies in babies are mostly transitional...or so my ped stated...lol

cilantromapuche
09-18-2003, 08:53 AM
1. I do put some calgon in the wash once a week.
3. he doesn't have a reaction witht cotton.

i don't have a detergent problem with the other diapers. would hemp be more prone to this? i wonder?

i have washed the few hemp diapers i have so i don't have any "new" hemp. it is not a problem now because i still change him at night. but i bought hemp because everyone raved about how absorbant it is for nighttime. hmmm.

Momof3Labs
09-18-2003, 09:26 AM
Hemp is more absorbent than most other materials, so yes, hemp is prone to more detergent problems than other fabrics...

egoldber
09-18-2003, 09:29 AM
Hemp and polarfleece fabrics seem to be much more prone to detergent build up. Hemp, because it is so absorbant, really holds onto the detergent deep in the fibers. I'm not sure what the issue is with fleece, but it also hangs onto detergent (and odors also in my experience).

HTH,