PDA

View Full Version : Aveeno diaper rash cream and yeast?

emmasmama
09-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know if the colloidal oatmeal in the Aveeno cream would be bad to use on a baby with yeast rash problems? I know you're not supposed to use cornstarch because it can be a medium for yeast growth, so then I got concerned about the oatmeal.

I'm looking for a good zinc oxide cream to use as a barrier for poor DD. I use tons of it so I had to give up my Burts Bees because it was costing too much.

Momof3Labs
09-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Walgreens makes a zinc oxide cream that is comparable to Desitin BUT has no fragrance - a bonus for fragrance sensitive babies! Not sure if that is what you are looking for, though.

liya
09-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Arian is somewhat sensitive and i use the Burts and Bees one and it works fine...humm go figure...I cant use Desitin for the life of me though...Oh and also Weldas but i dont know if that has zinc i think it doesnt...Sorry im not much help i stuck with whats worked...

emmasmama
09-17-2003, 02:48 PM
I love the Burts Bees, it's just that it's pricey and you don't get a ton. My poor DD still has the yeast rash so the ped is having us put a zinc oxide cream over the yeast meds and then on every time I change her, which is like every 45 mins. I went through the Burts Bees so quickly there is no way I can afford to keep using it right now.

Anyway, thought the Aveeno sounded good and I like the way it spreads but then got worried about the oatmeal.

Maybe I should just go with plain old zinc oxide to save money? We have an appt with a pediatric dermatologist on Monday so maybe he'll have the answer... sigh...

liya
09-17-2003, 02:59 PM
((((((HUGS ))))))) i hope you all get some anwers....Do you think it might be the milk? Could she be reacting to milk persay?? Just a thought....Im sooo sorry mama....I think plain old zinc oxide is your best bet....

Momof3Labs
09-17-2003, 04:16 PM
We saw a pediatric dermatologist a few weeks ago for a sore that Colin had, and they gave us some ointments but want us to top it with triple paste. Triple paste is expensive, but really good stuff. To help keep it on, we spread the triple paste on some gauze with a plastic knife, and put the gauze on top of the area.

Have you tried triple paste yet?

emmasmama
09-17-2003, 07:06 PM
I'm pretty sure that has cornstarch in it? Otherwise I would try it... we have actually never had a 'regular' diaper rash, only this yeast rash (and the yeasties like the cornstarch - apparently they feed on it and it helps them grow - yick!)... it originally started out as this very light colored 'circle' on an otherwise perfect bum and I couldn't figure out what the heck it was because it didn't really even look like a rash and her skin wasn't broken down at all. After the circle was there for a week, it suddenly exploded into a whole bunch of circles and then bumps and it has been a nightmare off and on ever since. We will treat it for a week and then for a few days after it's gone as per ped's instructions, and her bum will be perfectly normal looking and then whammo, about 12 hrs after we stop medicating with antifungal, it comes back with a vengeance!

Momof3Labs
09-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Ah, yes, checked the label and it does have corn starch in it.

My dog used to get topical yeast infections all the time, and I just used generic Lotrimin all the time on her. Kept away the yeasties, and made her MUCH more comfortable. Not that you should use this medication on her bummie, but I truly think that stubborn topical yeast infections need to be treated for longer than a few days past symptoms.

Also, are you SURE that her diapers aren't reinfecting her (I know that you've worked hard on this one, too)? Have you tried sposies for a couple of weeks?

emmasmama
09-18-2003, 05:14 AM
Yep, we've been in sposies for the past 2 1/2 weeks and there is absolutely no difference. It comes back just as quickly as it did with my CD's.

Not only have we been using Lotrimin/prescription Nystatin (the 1st round of treatment), but for the past 3 treatments we have been using a prescription combo cream with Nystatin and a steroidal anti-inflammatory (like hydrocortisone), which I'm not so happy about using over and over. I'm starting to question the protocol for only treating the rash for a few days after the symptoms disappear. We have already had 3 rounds of unsuccessful treatment, so I asked if I should be treating it longer than just a few days after the rash is gone, on this, our 4th time treating it, and the answer was no. It seems to me that it's better to treat it for a month in the first place and have it be gone, than have it come back 4 times.

I'm looking forward to hearing what kind of input the ped dermatologist has for me on Monday because I feel like this is out of hand.