PDA

View Full Version : interesting link...

deborah_r
09-17-2003, 12:56 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/china_the_pants_dilemma

I had never heard of this before. Don't think it would work in our society, but..I'm not judging!

When I first saw the picture, I thought somone had strapped a bib around the baby!

RiaHannam
09-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Ahem,
Yes I'll say that's interesting! I could never imagine that catching on anywhere....... I'd hope!

Maria

Momof3Labs
09-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Actually, elimination communication has a small but strong following among AP'ers (attachment parents) even here in the U.S. If you want to read more, there is a whole board devoted to it at mothering.com. While I personally don't like the idea of urine and poop in the streets and parks where my child will someday play (though I don't care what people do in their own homes), it must be healthier for the skin of these babies - bet that they don't get diaper rash!

emmasmama
09-17-2003, 02:56 PM
I saw referenced to EC'ing on the mothering board when I was looking for something else and I couldn't figure out what it was... I guess that clears that up... I guess this only works with children who are a little older though? Maybe this is the cure for our diaper rash woes... I'm so desperate that I'm maybe only half kidding ;)

mharling
09-17-2003, 03:27 PM
I had never heard of it either until I saw it on mothering.com. I was curious so I read some of the posts. From what I read, it's not necessarily for older children. I think I read about somebody (either on the board or in a linked article) whose baby was potty trained before they were a year old. I'm not willing to do what it takes for that!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

emmasmama
09-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Is there an actual forum for it on mothering, or is just within the diapering forum? I just looked and didn't see it... because now this has me curious, not to do it, but just to know about it ;)

erzzie
09-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Here's the link. It's in the subforums at the top of the Diapering forum.

http://mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=155

Momof3Labs
09-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Some people actually do this with infants - it's not only for toddlers.

deborah_r
09-17-2003, 08:33 PM
If their children do their business in the park, do they have to pick it up in a plastic bag like I do for my dog? :) This is giving a whole new meaning to those little blue bags Munchkin sells in the baby sections...

Momof3Labs
09-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I gotta admit that this question crossed my mind...

mharling
09-17-2003, 10:48 PM
I thought of that too when I was walking after seeing this thread and noticed someone walking their dog and carrying dog poop.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

emmasmama
09-18-2003, 04:55 AM
That's funny, that's exactly what my DH said when this topic came up at dinner - I sent him the link to the Chinese baby pants article ;)... he also said, "They are just passing a law now that it's not okay to relieve yourself on the street?" It seems like no big deal if it's in the countryside somewhere, but I definitely think it poses some health concerns when you're in an urban setting, esp if no one is actually cleaning up after their kids, which is kind of what it sounded like...

Kimberly H
09-18-2003, 05:15 AM
There's a very good chance our daughter from China will be wearing split pants, especially if she's been in foster care, though many orphanages and foster families begin using diapers once the child has been referred to their new parents.

We plan to "regress" her into diapers if she's a split pants baby.

emmasmama
09-18-2003, 05:20 AM
Just out of curiosity, how do the split pants work? Doesn't the baby just end up going all over the house? I read about it some on the mothering board, but I still don't get it exactly. It basically sounds like trying to potty train really really early, just based on paying REALLY close attention to when you think your child will go. Am I missing something?

deborah_r
09-18-2003, 12:25 PM
I'm curious too. I went to the Mothering.com board at Lori's suggestion and there was a mom who had a baby born on the same day as mine and she was having him use the potty. Huh?? An almost 4 month old using the potty?

emmasmama
09-18-2003, 12:52 PM
I know, I'm not sure I get it either. I am however interested as a later down the road thing because it sounds like a really good way to communicate with your baby/toddler to get them interested in potty training. I'm not so sure about a 4 mo old though ;)

Kate888
09-18-2003, 01:16 PM
While browsing through Amazon for potty training books, I stumbled upon books about Elimination Communication and decided to do a search on Yahoo. Here is an interesting site. It's a mother's journey to EC. She had her son using the potty when he was still an infant! It's amazing. But wouldn't it be hard to practice EC outside the home? People won't hesitate to comment on that, I'm sure.

http://www.freewebs.com/freetoec/

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

C99
09-18-2003, 09:15 PM
I have a friend who does it (EC). Her daughter would wake her up in the middle of the night to pee even when she was 4 or 5 months old. I think the idea is to reduce the number of diapers, not necessarily to stop using diapers altogether. My friend's husband has told me some stories about EC, though, that really makes me wonder if it works....