PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Diaper Basic Questions

mjlong
09-19-2003, 09:17 AM
Hi, I am just beginning the 2nd trimester for our first child, and so I'm just researching all the options. We have a tight budget, so I'm thinking of going with just prefolds and proraps. Are there any of you that use just a basic system like this? Also, what sizes should I buy? I want to start buying things soon to try to spread the cost out. I'm thinking of starting out with 3 dozen infant size (6-18 lbs) and 6 small size proraps and maybe a few regular pull on covers. Will this be enough? Should I get liners, or are these more for when the baby is older? Do most of you use cloth wipes or some of both? We will also have some newborn disposables on hand, since we are first time parents and I imagine the first few weeks will be overwhelming. Thanks for your advice!

KathyO
09-19-2003, 09:32 AM
I'm not a prefold user myself (not by a specific choice, it just happened that way) but LOTS of folks use the setup you describe and are very happy with it.

Liners - I wouldn't bother until baby is older. Newborn poops are really glooshy and go all over the place inside the diaper, so the liners may not save you a lot of trouble laundry-wise. When they get into solids and their poops solidify some, then the liner is great for both cleanup and stain prevention.

Wipes - I use cloth wipes - bought a bunch of those baby washcloths at the dollar store and just moisten them with water before using. They're cheap, they're soft, they're indestructible, and the terrycloth side will be handy later on for gently scrubbing off the really thick, sticky poops. I use one of those flat containers with disposable wipes for our out-and-about diaper bag.

Hope that helps - you will enjoy walking past the diaper section at the grocery store week after week, and going "cha-ching!! another twenty dollars not spent!" (That's $20 Canadian - I guess it'll be different in US$, but you get the idea...)

Cheers,

KathyO

C99
09-19-2003, 11:20 AM
I don't use this set-up either, but a lot of people do and are very happy with it. It's certainly the most economical way to use cloth diapers. I'd suggest that you start out with some newborn-sized proraps in addition to the smalls. If you do a search here, there is a number that you can call to get Proraps seconds for 1/2 the price of the regulars.

I agree w/ KathyO that you don't need liners until the baby is older, although some people like using a microfleece liner to pull the moisture away from baby's bottom and directly into the CPF.

I use cloth wipes when I'm at home and disposable wipes when I'm out. I throw them both into the washer with the diapers and pull out the disposable ones to toss when they are clean.

HTH

toomanystrollers
09-19-2003, 11:40 AM
I started off with just proraps and cpfs. I eventually added some fitteds, wool covers, etc. For proraps, try to get a hold of their seconds ($4.00 each). You have to call in your order - the phone number is posted here in Baby Butts somewhere - run a search. I would probably skip the pull-on covers - too much work with a newborn.

For liners, just buy some fleece at Walmart, etc. and cut your own. Same goes for cloth wipes, just buy some inexpensive wash clothes.

HTH
Pam

mommyj
09-19-2003, 11:57 AM
You can get by just fine using prefolds. I had 30 infant 4x8x4 ucpfs and 12 kissaluvs 0 for my newborn. I preferred the kissaluvs for the first week or so, but since then I really only use the kissaluvs if I'm out of the house, or if ds is crying while I change his diaper. I love using ucpf's with a snappi.
Proraps work great for most babies. I would recommend getting a few nb covers to use while your baby's cord heals, and then some small covers. As other moms mentioned, the proraps seconds are cheap and the quality is fine. You might also want to try a pull-on cover. I think they're the easiest covers to use, and the whisper pants are really gentle on newborn skin. The whisper pants are $5/each. I think some moms also use nylon pants from Babies r us that are even cheaper, but I've never tried those.
If you order from naturalbabies, there's a coupon for 5% off. I can send it to you if you're interested.
HTH!

lizajane
09-19-2003, 03:16 PM
you are talking to me here... we have ONLY prefolds, proraps and 4 fuzzibunz for nighttime.

i would recommend starting with disposables for the first couple weeks. get all the nasty merconium out of the way. and for us, newborn proraps did NOT last because ds was 9.5 lbs at birth. you won't need a nighttime diaper, like FB, until baby starts sleeping 5+ hours at a time.

3 dozen prefolds is great and 6 proraps is enough, but 10 would be even easier. poop is ALWAYS getting on the covers (don't worry, it will let up at 8 weeksish!) if you may have an average to large baby, start with smalls. if you expect a small baby, get some newborns.

for liners, just buy fleece remnants for cheap and cut them into rectangles. just wash them with the diapers.

you may want to make sure proraps work for you before you buy too many sizes. also, smalls lasted for about 2 months for us. mediums are STILL on the large size on my 6 month old who is 28 inches tall and weighs about 20lbs. so def. only get the small and medium for now, if you decide to go ahead with more than just smalls.

i PROMISE this is all you need- prefolds and proraps- and it is SUPER economical. i think i have spent just over $200 on all the stuff i have, and will be able to finish diapering for about $100-$150 more. which means, $300-$350 for TOTAL diapering of ds and his yet to exist sibling. i figure disposables are at least $10/week. so that $ wouldn't last long in disposables!

we use disposable wipes, but we rip them into quarters so that we don't have to use a whole one each time.

email me if you want more info.

JP4
09-24-2003, 10:59 AM
I have CDed all 4 of my children (using a diaper service). I have only used prefolds, pins and either an Alexis type nylon cover or a Prorap type cover. With a heavy wetter, I double diaper at night. I prefer side opening covers to pull-ons because it's easier to change messy diapers and covers without having to pull it over the baby's legs. This has always worked fine for me and even dh prefers to diaper with cloth.

Dcclerk
09-24-2003, 11:46 AM
I use a service now but will be venturing into the do-it-yourself world in the next week or so. With a service you only use CPFs and I have been very content with them. Even though I have carte blanche to buy whatever I want, I have just bought a bunch of fuzzi bunzs and prefolds (both hemp and CPFs). I've exclusively used the prowrap seconds and have been happy with them so why change :)? I do think that you might want to include some newborn covers in your stash. My DS was almost 9 lbs and he still wore his newborn covers for at least 2 mos. He is super tall and thin so maybe that is why, but the smalls would have overwhelmed him early on.

Whatever you choose, I think you'll do just fine!