PDA

View Full Version : DIAPER RASH OINTMENTS: in what order to layer on him????

mama2be
09-22-2003, 09:58 PM
I own them all now (ointments)...
I'm convinced he is having a reaction to the Calgon (OK not convinced but wondering).
He started diaper rash (never a sign of it before) aobut 4 days after we started the Calgon. I finally wondered, stopped the Calgon and now aobut 3 weeks later thought "I'll try the Calgon again". Well within 24 hours we had a red bum.

So I have the Triple Paste, Aquapor, Neosporin
Do you all coat with the petroleum first or the "white ointments" first. And the Nurse Practioner said to coat heavy BUT not to wipe to clean between diaper changes. So I would think he'd still ahve urine or poop on him if I did that...

What do you think???

blnony
09-22-2003, 10:19 PM
I would stop using the calgon and strip your diapers of it.
Then, I would use some fleece liners.
If he poops, clean him, just with water and cloth wipes or washrag. Then make sure he is competely dry before diapering. I usually use a soft prefold to dry if I can't let A. air dry. Don't worry about wiping during pee changes.
Let him have plenty of air. If you can't let him run around naked, use a dipe but no cover.
I would alternate creams if you're using them, and use the neosporin sparingly (use it first before you apply other creams if you use it). I wouldn't put petroleum on, just the ointment in a thicker paste type way. I'd try the triple paste for a few changes, then try the others for a couple. If you get really good results with one, I'd stick with that.
I'm sorry T-man is so rashy. They are never fun. Audrey's had some doosies that have left me crying before. I'm sorry you guys are having such a hard time.

liya
09-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Calgon can have a very nasty reaction to it....Also you have to make sure you are washing it all out...It takes me about phew like 4 washes to get taht stuff out...Also if you have a front loader remember that since it uses less water you need to make super sure all the calgon is coming out..

mama2be
09-23-2003, 08:07 AM
Thank you ladies...I'm ditching the Calgon. I do not have a fornt loader just a top one, but I press every button on there when I do my diapers so they are in the "process" a good 70 minutes. I re washed last night, I ownder if I need to keep washing them.

Thanks again...I think we are going ot do some "naked" time today...but he is a pee machine!!!!

liya
09-23-2003, 09:39 AM
do vinegar rinses ok...itll help you get it all out....

Andrea S
09-23-2003, 11:42 AM
the triple paste is enough alone. it has petroleum in it along with zinc oxide. we use this at work all the time. coat heavy to create a barrier than just dab off the dirty parts and reappy to keep heavy barrier between his tushie and pee/poop. atleast 1 a day we remove all paste with mineral oil. this is what we do for kids with really bad rashes.

edited to add: the best thing treatment for rash is ait. leave him without diaper a few times a day

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02