PDA

View Full Version : Diaper sizing?

heytootsy
09-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Finally, we are going on vacation. We are taking Maya to Mexico. Since she hasn't worn a disposable in months, I need some help. First, she is 7 months, weighs 17 1/2 lbs and is 28 inches long. What size would she wear?

Second, what kind would you recommend. Lastly, what wipes do you like? Thanks for your help.

amp
09-23-2003, 09:27 PM
Well, it totally depends on the dipe! Unfortunately, they all run a bit different. You can kind of go by the weight they put on the package, but I have found that with Pampers Swaddlers, we can go past the weight for the size. With Huggies we had leaks, and I thought they ran a bit small, so if my son was at the top of a wt. range, I would go up a size. I found Target's Loving Touch and Walmart's White Cloud to be similar to Huggies in fit. We are currently die-hard Pampers Swaddlers devotees. DS is almost 4 mths and about 18 lbs. & 25-26". He is in Size 2 Swaddlers still. I have heard that when you jump up to the Cruisers in size 3, that there is a large jump in size.

For wipes we use Huggies and Pampers (all versions - aloe, sensitive, original, whatever is on sale or a better deal). It also kind of depends if you want pop up wipes (Pampers) or reach in (Huggies). Like I said, we use both.

I know this probably wasn't terribly helpful to your specific situation, but it's all so variable. Hope it helped just a little.

Momof3Labs
09-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Colin outgrew size 2 diapers at 14-15 lbs, so I would say that she probably needs size 3 dipes. Huggies Supreme run smaller than Cruisers. Cruisers will seem long on Maya, but *may* fit her better. Huggies Ultratims run a little smaller than Cruisers, but bigger than Supreme.

For wipes, I stay away from anything with fragrance or propylene glycol in them. Most of the Huggies unscented wipes don't have these ingredients.

liya
09-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Buy size 3 huggies or BRU brand....I dont like pampers cruisers at that weight cause Arian(hes 18pds) is to small still for their size 3....Huggies and BRu brand size 3 fit him perfectly though...

HTH

em_jon98
09-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Well, Lindsey has been in size 3's since about 6 months. She is now over 20 lbs and about 33". I would say that Maya will probably be comfortable in most brands in size 3. I would recommend using one of whatever you buy before you go on vacation to make sure it fits okay and you like the dipe.

We like Pampers at our house, but I think disposables in general tend to be a personal preference with most parents and babies. The Swaddlers not avaliable in 3's and there is a huge size jump between size 2 Swaddlers and size 3 Crusiers. I find the Crusiers and Baby Dry to be comparable in size, so I think it again boils down to personal preference. I found Huggies to run on the smaller side, and we just generally did not like them. Target's Loving Touch brand is okay--more like Pampers than Huggies, but not as durable IMHO than either one. We've lost some tabs trying to get Loving Touch diapers on.

We also like Pampers wipes, BUT they are VERY heavily fragranced, so if you are sensitive to that, go with the Sensitive Touch variety. I have a hard time getting Huggies wipes out of the box and find them to be too dry for my liking. You may want a drier wipe, and that would be Huggies.

HTH--Just my $.02

blnony
09-23-2003, 11:40 PM
I would think size 3's and is she crawling? or trying? If she is crawling I would say Pamper Cruisers, because the sides are stretchy (more than the others) and I think they are better for crawlers. Also, I've had some quality issues with Huggies. The tabs have torn off way too many for my comfort.
If she isn't crawling, I would say maybe Pampers Baby Dry or the Target brand. I've had better quality with the Target brand than BRU or Wal-Mart brand. Luv's aren't a bad choice, but I never used them in a size bigger than 2s.
As far as wipes, I absolutely hate the Huggies wipes. They have this weird pilly residue and they stick together which bugs me. I prefer the Eckerd's brand or Kroger brand or the Costco wipes. They are more cloth like and feel much softer. The Pampers are okay, but not my favorite by a long shot. CVS has a good one too. Just look for "made with real cloth" or "cloth like" on the label, they are very similar to the Mustela wipes without the smell.

KMommie
09-24-2003, 04:45 AM
I think you may find Pampers to fit better. I found that with DD, the Huggies fit better with her chubby legs, now that she's lengthing out (5 months, 18 pounds, 27 inches) she's in the Pampers Cruisers size 3. They are a bit bigger than the Swaddlers size 2 though. I didn't care much for the smell that the Huggies seem to give off and even though I was changing her diaper every hour or two she would sometimes have some gel stuck to her.

As for wipes, we use Pampers Sensitive Touch. They are unscented and IMHO very soft. I didn't like the Huggies or the Pampers Aloe ones at all. We've been using the Pampers ST since DD was a couple of weeks old with no problems.

HTH,

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03