PDA

View Full Version : Sizing in disposables dipes

houseof3boys
09-25-2003, 09:32 AM
So for the last 3 days in a row I have had some serious poopy blowouts up the back of Ryan's diaper. Could it be the sheer velocity of his poop? The liquidity of his poop? Or, the diaper size is too small? He is (I'm guessing with the ole scale trick with mommy) that he is about 13 pounds or so and he is tall (24" at last measurement a few weeks ago from DH and I). We use the Pampers Swaddlers and they go up to 15 pounds. Huggies Ultra trims are awful for us as they leak pee and poop! What do you think?

I know all of you clothers are going to tell me to switch to cloth and I am still debating it. I got the sampler from Motherease and it is HUGE on him so I guess it left me sour on cloth for the time being. I really do want to be in the cloth club, I just feel overwhelmed by it. :*

stillplayswithbarbies
09-25-2003, 09:48 AM
try folding the back of the diaper in so it makes a little pocket to hold the poop. But it does sound like going up a size is what you need.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

blnony
09-25-2003, 10:02 AM
I'd go up to the 3s. Audrey outgrows the disposables much earlier than it says on the package.

alkagift
09-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Debi,
Definitely go up a size. I'm assuming you're still in the 1's? We moved to the 2's right about the same weight as Ryan is now. Matthew also has a cute trick of arching his back WHILE he poops, so I'm right there with ya on the blowouts. ICK!

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

calebsmama03
09-25-2003, 10:20 AM
I also found that when the dipes were getting too small he'd blow out over the top of them. However, I've also found that when I switched up to the next size he'd leak through the leg hole because they were a bit too big. I've ended up having a variety of dipes on hand because different brands/styles fit better at different times. In any given size range, the Huggies supreme seem the smallest, then Pampers swaddlers and Huggies u/t. Never tried Pampers baby dry yet. Also, the BRU brand used to be a tad smaller but I haven't tried them now that they are "new and improved" in the past month or so. It's tough. I, too, have considered CDing but the thought of the extra laundry is too much (I work 3 days) and I don't think the sitter would appreciate it, so I'd have to keep disposables for then anyway. The person who invents a truly leakproof diaper could be a billionaire!
Good luck!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

KimberleyDawn
09-25-2003, 10:38 AM
William is about 31" & 20lbs. using Pampers Cruisers size 5 (& not looking huge on him). I'm a firm believer in jumping up to next size when 2 mornings in a row he wakes wet or ONE major poop blowout.
I can't believe I'm going to ask this because it's completely embarrassing that I can't remember what diaper I used only a few months ago but...do swaddlers overlap cruisers in size or do you go from one right to the other (newborn, swaddlers 1,2 and then cruisers 3...)? If they overlap in size I would switch to the cruisers- I LOVE THEM!!! I hated baby dry (not fitted) and don't recommend them but if you feel that you have to try them for yourself (lol) let me know what you thought of them.
Kim

Andrea S
09-25-2003, 10:53 AM
I agreed with everyone else. Time to move up. We never make it to the weight limits on the packs. I also like Pampers cruisers the best.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Karenn
09-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Someone here (sorry, don't remember who!) once posted their rule of thumb for knowing when to move up to the next size of diapers (other than watching for blowouts and leaks) and it's worked like a charm for me: Colin tends to be ready for the next diaper when he gets close to the lower weight limit of the next size up, rather than the higher weight limit of the size he's in. For example, if Size 1 huggies are 8-14 lbs and size 2 are 12-18, I know that Colin will probably be ready for the Size 2 dipes when he gets close to 12lbs, rather than waiting until he's 14 lbs.

This little trick may not work for all babies, but it's been pretty accurate for mine!

HTH,

gisele
09-25-2003, 01:41 PM
My son gets blowouts/up the back too, but I think it's more from a combination of the position, amount of poop, and how forceful it comes out! I've not found size to make a difference.

We use Pampers Swaddlers and Baby Dry. He leaks a lot in Huggies. My son doesn't have large thighs, so I've found that the Swaddlers are always a little big for him around the leg, for their size. Baby Dry fits better around the leg. I have gotten leg leaks from the Swaddlers, but the Baby Dry holds well around the leg.

amp
09-25-2003, 02:59 PM
We use Swaddlers and DS is in size 2. I just checked our pkg. and the weight is 12-18 lbs. So I would move up if you had a blowout. I know the weights are not foolproof, and I don't totally go by that, but I checked my pkg. to see if the size 2 was what you were using and it looks like you might still be in 1's. It also looks like 2's should likely accomodate your baby, if he's 13 lbs. FWIW, we had the same trouble with Huggies, so we like the Swaddlers. I am dreading the fact that he will soon be outgrowing the size 2 (he is just about 18 lbs, but they still fit him at the moment) because I hear the jump from those to the Cruisers in size 3 is a big one. Maybe we'll try the BRU Supremes that Maureen reviewed in another thread below when he outgrows these. Good Luck!

houseof3boys
09-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Maureen, when you try the Supremes, post your review because I was curious about them too. I think I am going to buy a few packs and see what works for him now. We usually buy the huge pack from Sam's and we have about 5 days worth to go through. I will try the Cruisers since a few said they loved those. I like the swaddlers and the baby drys so far! I still have 200 Huggies diapers from Sam's that I bought 2 months ago that I just need to go donate somewhere!

Thanks everyone.

amp
09-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Debbi - Maureen already reviewed Supremes. Look for thread below.

toomanystrollers
09-26-2003, 04:46 PM
Debbi, come to the cloth side :) Havent' had a blowout since!