PDA

View Full Version : Getting this Moving... MAKING DIAPERS AND COVERS

liya
09-30-2003, 08:05 PM
Which pattern do you all think is easiest? I have decided to make Arian his own diapers because even though we love out CPFs my husband really loves AIOs and fitteds so we need something to please us both. Buying diapers is just not an option right now when i have finally learned to do so many things on my own. My cousin came home today and she did a great job on my sons home made embroidered blanky and i was thinking now that we can do soakers, embroidered items and well we can sew(she can perfectly im just learning) well i think i should benefit from it and start making my own stuff for Ari. It would be a more custom fit and would save me a few $$.

I was overlooking the honeyboy patters and they seem fairly simple to make. I was also looking at cuddlebuns and poochies(available later on but ive seen the diapers) and the poop pockets. We want to make diapers, wool covers(which i already have a perfect set pattern for Arian) and AIOs. I was thinking about honeyboy because of the aplix factor. Even though Ari can take it off when using it on the go its much simpler than snapping. So many proyects..lol Suddenly im MISS crafty...

Any input from those who make their own diapers is appreciated. Recomended patterns, indespensable materials..ETC..

TIA

AngelaS
09-30-2003, 09:43 PM
I make my own diapers and they are my FAVORITE of all that I've tried! They're hemp fleece w/lay in soakers and aplix closures. They are SO trim, G can wear them with leggings! :D

I designed my own pattern based loosely on a disposable. :D They're low rise, 'cause I liked that with the Kissaluvs.

I have a serger, so all my edges are serged, 'cause the turned edges took SO long to dry! Also my soakers are lay in 'cause I hate waiting thru two or three dryer cycles!

I also bought a 'Sew Darling' AIO kit from Amber WAAAY back when and made a BUNCH of my own Darling Diaper AIOs. I like those a lot too, but they are bulkier. :)

liya
09-30-2003, 11:46 PM
angela whats you favorite place to get fabrics and stuff?? do you get it locally??

AngelaS
10-01-2003, 05:15 AM
I can't find SQUAT locally! I buy my hemp fleece from wild-n-woolygoods.com and I've bought the aplix and elastin from several different online places. I can't remember who right now.... lol

cvharris
10-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Linda,

There are several yahoo coops that you can join to buy diaper fabrics...there is one called DiaperSupplies that is very active, as well as DiaperMakinMamas. I joined them to find a deal of some microfleece to make liners. I've seen things like various hemps, wool, and PRR knits being co-oped.

em_jon98
10-01-2003, 09:21 PM
Can you send me the links to the co-ops, please? I was looking at One Stop Diaper Shop and the prices seem high to me.

I really want to make a few dipes and covers, but I'm scared to try because the fabric and supplies are so darn expensive.:)

liya
10-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Ok so ive ordered the materials and they are on their way to me. Im getting a serger this week(so far ive been having to work on a borrowed one) and today i did a wool cover(with wool from a skirt i had nice and soft) and my cousin is embroidering it as i type. I suspect it will take her a few days since she is hand embroidering it but ill be sure to post the soaker and the wool cover we made when its done and pretty...YAYYY i cant wait.... Im already picturing my diapers and covers...This is sooo fun...Be sure to post whatever you make!!!

C99
10-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Amber makes a Sew Darling kit?? I would love to get my hands on one of those. Especially now that she is selling her business!

AngelaS
10-04-2003, 02:53 PM
She doesn't still. She offered them when her business was new and when someone basically took her pattern and started their OWN business, she stopped offering them....

pimms
10-05-2003, 07:11 PM
I'm so glad that you posted this. My aunt wants to make me diapers, but it's overwhelming trying to figure out where to start.
Thanks -
Samantha (:

pimms
10-05-2003, 07:11 PM
I'm so glad that you posted this. My aunt wants to make me diapers, but it's overwhelming trying to figure out where to start.
Thanks -
Samantha (: