PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Momof3Labs
10-01-2003, 09:11 AM
I recently bought a cover on eBay from an unknown WAHM. I knew that there was risk involved, but the price was right and I was willing to take a chance. Here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2345458427&category=26267&rd=1

I got the cover promptly. The applique was beautifully done, but the cover was very thick and bulky. So I tried it on Colin. The legs and waist fit fine (though bulky) and the back fits fine. But the front is huge and poofy - she used way too much fabric in the front. I couldn't decide what to do, so I didn't do anything for a while.

Yesterday the seller wrote to me and pointed out that she had left feedback and wanted me to do so. I wrote back to her and told her that I didn't feel that I could leave positive feedback and told her about the fit/bulk problems with this cover. I said that it looked like she was building a diaper-making business on eBay and please take this as constructive feedback. She replied:

"Sure. Thanks. Please remember this auction was as is and I have already left positive feedback for you."

Well, actually the auction does not state "as is" but then I wasn't asking for a refund. But I WILL NOT be bullied into leaving positive feedback!

Sooooo, my question is, what would you do? Would you leave neutral feedback? Negative feedback? No feedback on eBay (but leave feedback on MDC and diaperpin.com)?

I'll try to get pictures of Colin in the cover later today, but would appreciate anyone's thoughts!

kfcboston
10-01-2003, 10:28 AM
Geez, the feedback dynamic on eBay is sooo tough!! She sounds like the type who might slam you with feedback in return....don't know how important a factor that is to you. I'm sure posting on the various internet boards, like you did here, will most certainly have an effect! Too bad, since she appears to have very positive feedback thus far. How could you have known? Maybe you could try to work something out with her like an exchange, or fix of that cover, before you leave feedback??

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

Edited to say: That's very low-budge of her to solicit feedback like that. Bad form IMHO.

blnony
10-01-2003, 10:39 AM
here are a couple of options:
you could leave feedback like "shipped quickly" or something inane like that; or you could could leave neutral feedback and point out the good as well as the bad or you could leave negative; but that would probably start a chain of events you don't want to deal with.
or you could leave none; she's already left yours so you would just want to steer clear of her in the future.
You could write her and email and explain the good/bad of the cover and let her know you're not asking for a refund, but she might want to redo her pattern somehow.
Either way, this gets sticky. :) Good luck-

Momof3Labs
10-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Kate!

She's already left me feedback, so that's not a concern. But when I wrote to her and let her know why the cover didn't work for us, she didn't offer anything - exchange, fix the cover, anything. Her message seemed to indicate that we were done; she had no intention of working with me to make me happy (which is her perogative - even an "oh, I'm sorry that it didn't work for you! I'll take another look at the design." would have left me with a better taste in my mouth).

Momof3Labs
10-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Thanks, Brianna. I already gave her the details of why the cover didn't work for us, and that was her response (posted above). I thought about leaving lame positive feedback (or nothing) but then what about the other CD'ing people who blindly buy one of her covers? Maybe I'm feeling too strong about protecting my fellow CD'ers!

kfcboston
10-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Duh - good point about her already having left you feedback.

If you are feeling protective (you CDers are SO close-knit - I love it!!), maybe neutrals the way to go? I also like the boards idea. I get the impression CDers are a tight on-line group, so I should think that would have an effect.

Best of luck!

cvharris
10-01-2003, 11:19 AM
If I were you, I wouldn't leave eBay feedback at all. I'm of the mind not to leave feedback if I don't have anything nice to say unless something really went bad, like no merchandise or horrible misrepresentation, then I would. I might have left lame positive feedback had she not been so terse in her response to you. Sounds like she is very overzealous about her feedback and a neutral might drive her over the edge or something. :) I've seen some people go crazy about negative or even neutral feedback and retaliate...you don't want to get caught up in it.

Since you want to warn others, I might post on a few of the common diapering boards explaining the situation...or maybe just do a 'what would you do' on the other boards so it doesn't look like you are trying to badmouth her in case she frequents them...

em_jon98
10-01-2003, 01:26 PM
I have two points:
1) Isn't soliciting feedback aganist EBay rules? Personally, situations like this are part of the reason I think the EBay feedback system is a bunch of hooey. You could leave her post or neutral feedback, but then that doesn't really warn other buyers to potential problems.

2) She does not say "as is" in the auction. It probably inhernently implied that EBay sales are as is, but I would think she would state this in her auction if she expected it to be the case. Wasn't there a issue brought up recently on MDC about this (with the person who sold the old style FB and the buyer stated it was defective because it leaked and wanted a refund)? If she wants to build any kind of business for herself in the large sea of WAHM's out there, I would think she would at least listen to you...AND try to fix her product or refund part of your money.

I would probably either leave neutral feedback, saying something like "shipped quickly, but seller was not responsive to issues with product," or leave no feedback and leave it at that. You already outed her here, you could could post the same thing at MDC to get the work out there. I think the boards are a better way to get feedback about WAHM's anyway, and I would not be surprised at all if after outing her here and a few other places, she contacted you again and at least apologized for the issue, if not offering to fix it.

If she doesn't, well...you warned everyone and we appericate it. :)

houseof3boys
10-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Why not try one more time with an email to her saying something like I really like the cover and you do beautfiul work but I really wonder if you can do anything else about the fit or if you would exchange the item. Tell her you don't feel good about leaving positive feedback when you don't feel satisfied with the transaction and point out the whole "as is" thing again. I would try one more time and then I would probably leave neutral feedback. I am sure if she didn't have a 100% rating and someone had left a neutral comment about her not exchanging it, you probably wouldn't have purchased it. I dont' think you should ignore the feedback on ebay since not everyone may read diaperpin and MDC despite the closeness of CD'ers.

liya
10-01-2003, 04:12 PM
Im going to stop purchasing on ebay because there really is no warranty and you dont know how its going to fit and what will happen to the item. I just got a beautiful soaker and it was superbly made i washed it and lanolized it like i do all my other soakers and it bleed and ruined all the soaker plus because of the special weaving it shrank..That was 25.00 down the drain and im not up to doing that again. I emailed the ppl and they were very kind about the whole issue(although they did nothing about it) but honestly i cannot explain why the cover would bleed like that if the color was natural and not dyed(it was a black and white cover)..The black destroyed my cover and now it looks terrible but alas it was in my hands and it is assumed that it was my fault although i did wash it as i do all my other wool ...

But to your question i would leave positive feedback about how her shipping was and her service etc etc. But i think the fit of the cover should go on diaperpin instead...Jmho

blnony
10-01-2003, 04:29 PM
to be honest, I check MDC and diaper pin more about fit, quality etc than I do ebay feedback.
I don't really trust ebay feedback too much. And I agree, if she'd just been halfway sympathetic it would have helped.

mamahill
10-01-2003, 04:34 PM
I love that you're looking out for fellow cd-ers. I agree with the others - had she replied nicely, perhaps some kind of positive feedback about the quick shipping would be ok, but I would be inclined to just not leave feedback. If she bugs you again, then I'd unleash on her:). Obviously your transaction has left you NOT wanting to buy from her again. And your experience with her has definitely put her on my cautious list (though they ARE adorable). I'd post on the diaperpin and MDC boards, but leave the feedback alone. For crying out loud, she has like 200+ feedbacks.

toomanystrollers
10-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Lori,
I would leave positive feedback such as:
"Qk ship, cover design is too poofy, wish I could return it"
(I'm not sure how many words you can fit into the feedback??"

Thanks for the "heads up"

AngelaS
10-01-2003, 09:18 PM
As an eBay seller with almost 600 feedback, here's MHO....

You bought the cover that was pictured and described in the auction. It is 'as is'. She doesn't guarantee a perfect fit or offer refunds, so I don't think you should assume that she's going to offer you one.

As for feedback, before you leave a neutral or a negative, tell her your plans. She may offer to 'make things right' with you and make you happy.

I don't think this at ALL warrants a negative. The item was what was described. A neutral? Not sure that fits either. I would probably leave a postitive along the lines of 'fast ship, but poor fit for my son"