PDA

View Full Version : Thrush!!

nitaghei
10-07-2003, 08:59 AM
Neel was in for his nine month check-up yesterday, and his ped said he had thrush. He's had a diaper rash since last Saturday. Mildly pink then, but was really red and bumpy by Monday morning. Ped said that was a yeast infection, too.

Do I need to disinfect all his CDs, or only the ones he wore this past weekend? He's in disposables through the week, and had absolutely no symptoms the previous weekend.

Related question - do I need to disinfect his sheet, towels, washcloths, etc., etc., as well?

Icing on the cake - the poor baby has an ear infection as well! :(

Nita

smkinc
10-10-2003, 01:36 AM
Poor Neel!!! I'm sure he feels lousy.

What type of dipes do you use? If they do not have snaps, I would boil all the dipes (5 min) just to be on the safe side...yeast spores can be persistent. Did your ped have any reccommendations?

Mary (Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03)

houseof3boys
10-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Nita make sure that you do wash all of his bedding, burp cloths, towels, et cetera in hot water and put vinegar in the rinse cycle as well. I never used anything like a burp cloth more than once and make sure that you are conscience of ALL things that go in his mouth too and just give them a wipe with vinegar and water or put it in the sun. It's a PITA and a lot of laundry for you I know!

I hope he is doing better!

nitaghei
10-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Thanks!

Neel was in fitteds and AIOs - so boiling isn't an option. I washed everything - dipes, clothes, bedding, any piece of cloth that he touched - with Tea Tree Oil in the wash, and I have vinegar and water spray made up to clean other stuff. I never use washcloths or towels more than once, in any case. I also boiled his pacifiers, nipples, bottles, my pump parts etc., etc. If it's sunny this weekend, I plan on putting everything out in the sun for a couple of hours.

BTW - the ped was pretty casual and didn't think I needed to do anything other than a hot water wash.

Nita

houseof3boys
10-10-2003, 02:34 PM
The ped and my ob were very casual about it too (the first time I got it) and it was the LC's that were adamant about being overly dilligent about all of the boiling and sanitizing. After getting it 3 times (or never really getting rid of it - however you want to look at it), I would rather be safe than sorry! In dealing with this whole ordeal, I trust the LC's that are much more up on the latest research than the peds or the OB's.

I am sure the sun will be fine for your CD's Nita.