PDA

View Full Version : Do CDs make walking difficult for baby? and comfort question

daisymommy
10-12-2003, 11:48 PM
I've been looking at websites with pictures of babies in their big poufy CD's, and wondering how on earth they can walk! Isn't there so much bulk that they can't keep their legs together (ie they are forced open?). And does it make it more difficult to walk (vs. a disposable?

Also, does anyone have a child old enough to talk (or know someone who does)--Beth, maybe you can answer this question--that has been in both cloth and disposable diapers, and can tell you their preferance? I would think that I would be happier in a trim disposable, rather than a huge cloth diaper that feels all soggy wet. However, I have read this is not true. That cloth is more comfortable. But how do we as adults find this out, and know if it's true?

I'm just going through all the reasons I have come across to CD, and trying to make sense of it all. Please don't interpret my questions as being down on cloth users. I really am thinking of starting it up myself, but hav eso many unanswered questions! Thanks for helping me!

liya
10-13-2003, 01:22 AM
Wow Amy..Dont have a talking baby but mine is sure making his intent at walking at 8 months...He was cruising pretty early and now is standing and trying to take baby steps foward..So honestly i dont think that the CD has made anything any different if all its help his falls...LOL...Honestly CDs dont have to be bulky at all. Granted they will never be as trim as disposables but honestly i think my Angel Wraps AIOs and some of my other AIOs are super trim. Also my CPFs in a bikini twist. Cant beat it...I dont use bulky stuff on my kid cause i wont be able to get his clothes on....So i stick to the trim stuff and havent had any problems at all..Hes been ahead in almost everything motor related...

Oh and with a fleece liner the diaper doenst feel all wet and icky..I swear girl try an FB with a joey bunz and you will see what i mean by trim..

egoldber
10-13-2003, 07:23 AM
I've never noticed a difference in Sarah's mobility in cloth vs disposables. She has protested occasionally when I have snappi'd a CPF too tightly. And she HATES and refuses to wear wool soakers. But other than that, she doesn't seem to have any preference. I switch back and forth all the time.

HTH,

toomanystrollers
10-13-2003, 07:59 AM
Hi Amy,
Our 2 yr. old ds has been in both. I like to think of his cloth dipes as extra padding for the playground :) He's a maniac and his bubble butt has not slow him down at all. He wears motherease sandies which IMO are pretty trim and he lets me know when he needs a new dipe (hopefully we'll be moving to a potty soon). You do need to change them more often. He averages a change about every 2 1/2 hrs except for overnight.

I've seen plenty of oversaturated disposable bubble butts - gross :( That can't be too comfortable either.

HTH

mama2be
10-13-2003, 08:17 AM
I have not crossed ths road yet...but Tristan at 7 months and a half is pretty mobile. BUT with that said his butt is pretty huge. But I have wondered if the heavy disposable diapers are good on babies. I mean thoughs get very heavy whent he gel gets wet I personally have wondered if the heavy gelled disposable is good for them to be sporting around.

That wouldn't keep me form Disposables, but it is the scenerio that has helped me when I wonder if his CD bulk is bad I then wonder about that...

lizajane
10-13-2003, 08:51 AM
i like to think about it this way- which is more comfortable to you- a long sleeved cotton t-shirt, or a long sleeved, waterproof raincoat? imagine wearing that non-breathing raincoat in 95 degree weather. think of the feeling of having a thin anorak stuck to your skin because it is so incredible wet, even if your skin isn't wet. then think of the feeling of a wet cotton t-shirt on your skin. (not even taking into account the fleece liners most of us use.) that is how i remind myself that cds (i think) would be more comfortable.

Kate888
10-13-2003, 01:12 PM
Great analogy, Liza :)

Maya has been in CDs most of the time since 12 months. Her walking and running are right on schedule. Occasionally I put a disposable on her, but she keeps scratching on the inner thinghs where the ruffles touch her skin. Sometimes she even grabs the disposables from underneath and attempts to pull it off. Guess a cloth underwear is more comfortable than a paper one :) Putting some lotion on her thighs seems to help a little with the problem. DH tried to change her with a disposal one time, she even went to the stash and brought a CD with her. So I guess cloth is more comfortable to her.

HTH :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

KathyO
10-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Nope, keep asking whatever questions you have!!!

I CDed from just a few weeks old, and my friend's disposable-diapered daughter who was born exactly the same day started walking on exactly the same day that mine did. DD is now 2 and a half and still deciding whether to be interested in potty training (I'm not pushing it because I'm due in a month and don't want to be in the thick of potty training just as a new baby comes crashing into the household)... and when I take her to the playground I notice that she's actually physically more co-ordinated and agile than many of her disposable'd contemporaries. Not that I think the CDs have anything to do with it, but they're definitely not interfering. (To be honest, we have NO idea where this aptitude comes from. We're both total klutzes...)

I have had her in disposables on the odd occasion, and she has twisted and yanked at them the way you would with funny-fitting underwear, but I don't know that she actually prefers one over the other...

HTH,

KathyO

daisymommy
10-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all the great answers. I no longer doubt CDs comfort, nor am I worried about Josh's mobility anymore. Did anyone switch to CD's after disposables with an older baby, and their baby didn't like CDs?

egoldber
10-14-2003, 12:47 PM
I switched Sarah when she was 14 months and we had no trouble at all. I think that if you wait much longer, you might have some issues. I know that the other Amy (gravymommy) had to stop using CDs with her youngest because her DD wouldn't wear them anymore. But I think her DD was a bit older (maybe two when she switched and 2 1/2 when she stopped???).

toomanystrollers
10-14-2003, 03:19 PM
I changed Shea over right when he hit 2. He's very easy going. I did buy a couple fun Happy Heinys (he loves his cow dipe) and he's content to wear his Motherease sandy's w/ his whale cover. He also loves holding the snappi while I get his hemp prefold on him for nighttime.

HTH